Power cut Santorini

sjaak

FYI

One of Greece's most popular tourist destinations, the island of Santorini, has been hit by a power cut.

A fire at a power station cut off electricity to the entire island, during the peak of the tourist season.

Managers of the Greek power network say the fire has been put out and efforts are being made to restore supplies.

The island drew around 1.6 million tourists last year attracted by spectacular views and whitewashed villages.

A naval vessel carrying generators is due to dock in Santorini early on Wednesday morning, according to the defence ministry.

We were there the day of the fire. It certainly gave us another story to tell!

At around 1pm, they were telling people they would possibly announce what was going on at 2:30. Many of us decided to walk down instead. Personally, I was actually surprised at how beautiful it was!

However, we did see a number of people slipping and falling. I was glad to have opted for sandals and not flip flops or wedges, unlike many others. We were concerned for the number of elderly going down using canes.

We also saw a few people riding the mules down who clearly did not want to be and were terrified (lots of wailing and screaming).

Princess ended up doing the logical thing (I believe) and busing people to the port they use for excursions.

It certainly made for great passenger bonding!

And, for anyone concerned about taking the cable car, we spoke with someone who was on it when it lost power. The emergency generator got them to the top promptly, so no worries.

I hope the restaurants did ok, they were concerned about having to throw out all of their food. Plus, it happened around lunch which bit into their profits.

Archived