AirTrain JFK

thecumbrian

Flying into JFK on newyears eve. My cruise booking has no transfers. Been looking at options to get to Manhatten.

1. Is the Airtrain JFK service to Penn station ok to use with luggage? or is it better to get a cab, what does a cab cost now?

2. Getting from the hotel on Manhatten to the Queen Mary2 port, is a cab the best option? or does anybody know of transfer services, don't mind sharing.

Be crateful of any suggestions/ideas.

Where exactly is your hotel in Manhattan? What time does your flight arrive? Depending on the time, the Times Square area may be total grid lock, which could affect your transportation choice.

If the Queen Mary is sailing from Brooklyn, then a cab would be your best choice. Does your cruise have a roll call? That would be the best place place to find others to share transportation.

Flying into JFK on newyears eve. My cruise booking has no transfers. Been looking at options to get to Manhatten.

1. Is the Airtrain JFK service to Penn station ok to use with luggage? or is it better to get a cab, what does a cab cost now?

2. Getting from the hotel on Manhatten to the Queen Mary2 port, is a cab the best option? or does anybody know of transfer services, don't mind sharing.

Be crateful of any suggestions/ideas.

The Airtrain is fine with luggage, that is what it is for, to transport folks flying in and out on the airport. Of course, luggage that you can handle yourself is necessary. The Airtrain brings you to the Jamaica Station of the Long Island Railroad. From there you board a LIRR train into Manhattan arriving at Penn Station. It is best to do this in off peak hours. Once you arrive at Penn Station, depending on your physical ability, you use the escalator or elevator which are at every track but you need to look for the elevator. Depending on where your hotel is located you might be able to wheel your luggage from Penn to the hotel. You always see people doing this.

The Airtrain is fine with luggage, that is what it is for, to transport folks flying in and out on the airport. Of course, luggage that you can handle yourself is necessary. The Airtrain brings you to the Jamaica Station of the Long Island Railroad.

You can take your luggage cart with you from the baggage claim area on the Airtrain and leave it when you arrive at Jamaica Station. Just take the elevator up to the train platform.

Keep in mind there is a $5 fee when you exit the Airtrain system. The ride between terminals is free

I'm a New Yorker. :) So, I take the subway, yep, I have no problem going up and down a few stairs, but usually can find some escalators/elevators. :) This is the bargain option that isn't for most people. Just a mention.

you all know3 of course this is the QM2 with formal nights(and clothes)...and it leaves from Brooklyn.

I love the subway ride it almost every day into Manhattan.

lovely way to start a vacation and have to get to brooklyn....use a car service IMO....

you all know3 of course this is the QM2 with formal nights(and clothes)...and it leaves from Brooklyn.

I love the subway ride it almost every day into Manhattan.

lovely way to start a vacation and have to get to brooklyn....use a car service IMO....

But OP mentioned hotel in Manhattan. And New Years Eve

But OP mentioned hotel in Manhattan. And New Years Eve

Booked into the Radisson Lexington on Lexington /48th street. We get to JFK about 1.30pm.

Beginning to feel that the cab from JFK to the hotel which I think is one fare of $54 to anywhere on Manhatten and no time limit, plus toll charges what ever they are now? will be a better option.

"Beginning to feel that the cab from JFK to the hotel which I think is one fare of $54 to anywhere on Manhattan and no time limit, plus toll charges what ever they are now? will be a better option."

Me Too!! Not looking forward to the JFK trek to Manhattan hotel at 10:00 pm. Car service for us.:)

NYC on New Years Eve......you could not pay me enough to go into that crowd. The other 364 days/nights of the year we can talk, that one....no chance.:eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Don't worry the hotel on Lexington Ave is not near the crowds. Coming from JFK you cross the East River no where near Times Square. The OP might want to consider arranging a car service instead if yellow medallion taxi. I'm not sure where Op is coming from. US Customs might be as long as Two Hour wait at JFK. Even with all that it should be fine

The Airtrain is fine with luggage, that is what it is for, to transport folks flying in and out on the airport. Of course, luggage that you can handle yourself is necessary. The Airtrain brings you to the Jamaica Station of the Long Island Railroad. From there you board a LIRR train into Manhattan arriving at Penn Station. It is best to do this in off peak hours.

In your case, when you get to Jamaica, you might be better off getting on the E subway train, which also goes to Manhattan pretty quickly (it's an express through Queens, very limited stop). The Lexington/53rd stop on the E is about a quarter of a mile from the hotel, and has an elevator to the surface.

That's quite an assumption to make. Just because you might be able to afford to take a cab or car service doesn't mean that you might want to choose that option. In the end it's a personal choice and folks want to understand the options available to them.

Archived