What's your must buy when in Honduras

Kajunswty

3 trips - 3 different wood items..... all the same style just different items.

Large vase, medium size bowl and last trip I bought a salad bowl with 6 matching bowls and serving pieces....... They look sort of like patchwork with light and dark and medium colors of wood.

Also have purchased some beautiful embroidered items..... a table runner with different color fish (expensive) and some neat purses......

Also a carved wooden fish (wall hanging) decorated and has Honduras on it. I collect carved wooden masks but couldn't find one and I liked the fish - perhaps 14 -16 inches long.

Also collect pareos (large scarf type) with a beautiful tropical flower scene on it and Roatan on it.

those are my favs

If you're out and about by cab or a private excursion, ask if they can take you to a grocery store. Coffee is SO cheap there and it's wonderful.

I so wanted to do that; the van back to the port(s) was full of people eager to get back. I was happy that the Mahogany Bay coffee stand had whole-bean local product at good prices.

Do the groceries have whole-bean as well as the blended Honduran ground?

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

I asked this on the Bahamas board awhile back and got some great replies

So what do you buy, souvenir or otherwise

I always like to drink some local beer while in port. What is the local brew in Honduras?

• 3 weeks later...
Port Royal is a Honduran beer and it might be the best beer in the world.

-IU class of '70

I'll definitely have to try it out. We ended up booking with Victor Bodden and plan to go to West Beach. Hopefully nice weather and plenty of beach time and a bucket of beers!

I was IU class of '87. Hopefully basketball will be strong again. Went to the Navy game yesterday.....defense was an embarrassment.

There are two big grocery stories in Coxen Hole, right by the highway, and both have a number of coffee choices both ground and whole bean. However, if you are going to be at West Bay, there is a roastery right there that puts out a whole bean coffee that's as good as anything in the stores and at a good price. It's set back from the beach in what you could describe as the second wave of buildings, about 2/3 of the way down the beach (to the right when facing the water).

I so wanted to do that; the van back to the port(s) was full of people eager to get back. I was happy that the Mahogany Bay coffee stand had whole-bean local product at good prices.

Do the groceries have whole-bean as well as the blended Honduran ground?

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Very good quality coffee at the stand there at Mahogany. The bags have the roast date on them and it's usually just been a few days .They also have a light roast which really does well with the Central American coffees (plus more caffeine than dark roast!) Prices are not bad - just a bit less than I pay at home for good quality whole bean but SOOO much fresher. First trip I bought two pounds, in January I bought four pounds.... I may need a suitcase for what we'll be getting in a few weeks. :D

Oh, and anyone buying a the grocery store - be cautious of the "local" ground coffee. It often is mixed with sugar in it in Central America as that's how the locals drink it.

Edited by vacruizer

• 4 months later...

If you are lucky enough like I was, you may find a piece of opal from Honduras, set in silver. I looked for this for several years. Finally found it right off the ship as you enter their main street, in a jewelry shop inside the Methodist "mini-mall". I end up buying a piece of the carved wooden items in that same building, each time we go to Honduras. I love to shop there.

I always like to drink some local beer while in port. What is the local brew in Honduras?

The two main local beers, as metioned by others, are Salva Vida and Port Royal. Both are pretty good, with a very noticable European flavor. Port Royal tastes quite a bit like Heineken; Salva Vida is a little darker, heavier.

They are both made by the same brewery, Cerveceria de Hondurena. It was founded by a German expat, hence the style/taste of the beers.

• 10 months later...