Shocking incident

travelinjudy

[quote name=Osnab;

It is a shame that a family is struggling and needs to make ends meet' date=' but I for one will not support this kind of behavior, and I would like to know if anyone from Viking does anything except for the thank you email.

Felicia[/quote]

I agree, it is doubtful that Viking will do anything, but at least other cruisers can boycott the show--although that's not enough. I will post anything that Viking says when I return.

about this show to Scenic.That s who we re going with next June,with same horse show((I presume( since same city.If I get any response will forward it along.And I ll be SURE to mention this on the ship PRIOR to said horse show,maybe MANY others boycotting show will force some change.IF enough companies express concern,perhaps??it may change in future.Let s hope.:mad:

Hi,

I hope you saw the link at the top of this page--it is the show we saw on our tour. It would be wonderful if you could contact someone over there.

Hello travelinjudy,

yes, I saw the link and will be forwarding it with the info you posted ....,

hoping our horse contacts across the boarder can do something about it ....

thanks for making the abuse known ...

Dear travelinjudy,

Our apologies for having just now seen your posts. We appreciate how proactive you have been in reporting this incident and while we’re confident that your feedback has been shared by your ship crew and by the team that received the email you sent, we wanted to let you know that we too have passed it along to the team who works with our local partners. We’ve asked our Customer Relations team to reach out to you to discuss your trip when you return home and in the meantime, if you would like to contact us directly, please know we’d be happy to hear from you at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. Aside from this upsetting incident, we do hope you have enjoyed the rest of your journey on Viking Embla.

Thank you for being our guest – and thank you again for alerting us.

Very best,

Viking Cruises

Hope to hear about Viking's ACTION they HAVE TAKEN....

I agree, it is doubtful that Viking will do anything, but at least other cruisers can boycott the show--although that's not enough. I will post anything that Viking says when I return.

Judy, presumably there are various different show sites /operators;

here is a link showing pics of one operator in the area -

do those pics / buildings looks familiar?

http://www.pbase.com/kenkirk/puszta

Judy, presumably there are various different show sites /operators;

here is a link showing pics of one operator in the area -

do those pics / buildings looks familiar?

http://www.pbase.com/kenkirk/puszta

I am sure that this is the operator that Viking uses - at least it was the show we saw when we traveled with them earlier this year (recognize the stands...)

Fran

about this show to Scenic.That s who we re going with next June,with same horse show((I presume( since same city.If I get any response will forward it along.And I ll be SURE to mention this on the ship PRIOR to said horse show,maybe MANY others boycotting show will force some change.IF enough companies express concern,perhaps??it may change in future.Let s hope.:mad:

I just booked a trip next June that includes a Puszta horse show as an optional. I would have gone, but thanks to this board, I will not. Like you I do not tolerate animal abuse any more than I will tolerate child abuse. Perhaps if enough people decline this optional tour the people that earn money from it will change the way they treat the horses.

I just booked a trip next June that includes a Puszta horse show as an optional. I would have gone, but thanks to this board, I will not. Like you I do not tolerate animal abuse any more than I will tolerate child abuse. Perhaps if enough people decline this optional tour the people that earn money from it will change the way they treat the horses.

You should not think that. I’ve seen that show, walked around the farm and haven’t seen any animal abuse whatsoever. I love horses and I am sure I’d notice if they are abused.

By the way the show is really good.

You should not think that. I’ve seen that show, walked around the farm and haven’t seen any animal abuse whatsoever. I love horses and I am sure I’d notice if they are abused.

We're going with Vantage, Voyage to the Black Sea. The optional horse show is at Kalocsa in Hungary. Is this the one you went on? Because if I thought for one second that I was helping people who abuse animals to gain financially I would be mortified.

I am currently on the Viking Embla Budapest to Bucharst. Today the included tour was the town of Kalocsa, Hungary, and a trip to BakodPutza for a horse show. After the horse show two of us wandered out back behind the barn and saw one of the horsemen mercilessly beating one of the horses who was harnessed to a wagon. The horse started bucking and trying to get away, but couldn't. When he stopped protesting, the guy started whipping him again-for no reason. We were horrified to see the beautiful animals being treated this way. When another employee saw that we were watching, he walked over and calmed the horse down. When the incident was reported, the owner gave a very weak excuse, but it didn't hold up.

Several of the horses in the barn had their ribs showing, which indicated that all is not right with the way these animals are being treated. Viking cruise line needs to take a closer look at this tour and reevaluate if it should be retained. Any tour provider that is cruel to animals should not be supported by any cruise line. It certainly ruined the whole experience for us![/quote

Judy: My optional tour is described as a visit to a working horse ranch with herd of 120 horses. On arrival greeted with red and white wine and bread and onion slices (yum) The horse show is by csikos (cowboys) followed by a chance to try out horse, donkey or two in hand carriage with assistance of the riders. Cost is $65 pp and runs for 3 hours. Does this sound like the same tour? I'm not going till June so I have nothing to judge by except that I trust my travel provider and have gone with them on many other trips. But like you and other posters I would not go if I thought it was the same one you went on.

I do agree. I did not notice any mistreatment of the horses. In fact their coats looked clean and shiny, their manes and tails looked full and intact. I did not notice any that looked starved. Upsetting to think that things could have deteriorated so quickly (we were there in early May).

It is quite distressing to think that there is any mistreatment - so was quite surprised to read about this. That is why my earlier post suggested that perhaps there is one person who is to blame - and perhaps if it is brought to the attention of the owners they can address it. The weak excuse from the owner may have been because he was caught off guard, and didn't know what to say when asked about it.

We didn't get an opportunity to work with the animals on our tour - but there were about 150 of us there, so it would have been tough to coordinate. This was an included excursion for us.

Fran

I am sure that this is the operator that Viking uses - at least it was the show we saw when we traveled with them earlier this year (recognize the stands...)

Fran

great -

thanks for verifying;

we found the farm's exact physical location, just SE of DUNAPATAJ off #51 and about 10 km NE of KALOCSA; the Serbien/ Croatian boarder is near by (~60KM S of Kalocsa) - whereby the Austrian boarder runs further than 250 KM away, thus this farm is truly in a very rough location - am 'Arsch der Welt' - far from any notable civilization. However German and Austrian horse people travel almost every weekend with their horses to one or the other event and so spread the word.

As a consequence, Bakod Puszta Hungarian Horse Farms will receive a surprise check out/up visit addressing your observation and disgust, now known to the broader public....

in the meantime, please continue to get the word out via the internet ........

lets hope, it was an isolated incident you observed, conducted by a emotionally/mentally unstable farm-hand in need to be fired; (wish the horse kicks the xxxx out of him, soon!)

Presumably, until repetition proofs otherwise, such conduct was likely unbeknownst to the owners/managers - and is not the farms' sanctioned conduct around their animals - ....

lets hope, it was an isolated incident you observed, conducted by a emotionally/mentally unstable farm-hand in need to be fired; (wish the horse kicks the xxxx out of him, soon!)

Presumably, until repetition proofs otherwise, such conduct was likely unbeknownst to the owners/managers - and is not the farms' sanctioned conduct around their animals - ....

Agreed.

We need to keep the reaction proportionate to what is actually known and not 'demonize' the entire organization in the absence of proof.

We do not support these types of shows in general as no matter how well intentioned, there is almost always something somewhere in the background that any animal lover would find objectionable.

Even the Spanish Riding School has had numerous complaints about the treatment of the horses, some of them quite recent and closer to home for some of you, rodeo events are far from safe havens for all the animals involved.

But, do keep in mind that seeing horses that look too thin does not necessarily mean they got that way at the location where you saw them, they may have been mistreated elsewhere and are being rehabilitated at the farm.

Also consider that working horses do look different to the plump pets we tend to see at stables closer to home.

I'm happy to hear that the farm in question will receive a 'surprise visit' and hopefully with a little expert questioning and observation they can get the matter sorted for the benefit of all.

glad to hear the animal welfare is going to be reviewed. sadly in some countries animal welfare is not a priority or just not considered to be an issue of concern.

we would not consider visiting/viewing any of those type of places. another sad use of horses is in traffic in cities. a miserable life of monotany,pollution etc. yes it may look pretty from a distance to see elegant carriages in old cities pulled by horses. for short periods and special ceremonies, perhaps but not for endless durations in all weathers.

also dislike seeing the beggers with puppies and kittens. thats my opinion. others can do as they wish. we have choice, the animals do not.

great -

thanks for verifying;

we found the farm's exact physical location, just SE of DUNAPATAJ off #51 and about 10 km NE of KALOCSA; the Serbien/ Croatian border is near by (~60KM S of Kalocsa) - whereby the Austrian border runs further than 250 KM away, thus this farm is truly in a very rough location - am 'Arsch der Welt' - far from any notable civilization. However German and Austrian horse people travel almost every weekend with their horses to one or the other event and so spread the word.

As a consequence, Bakod Puszta Hungarian Horse Farms will receive a surprise check out/up visit addressing your observation and disgust, now known to the broader public....

perhaps future visitors to the farm should mention to employees hosting the show, the previously observed cruel treatment - just to remind them, that the word has spread and visitors are watching .....

so, employees in turn also watch one another's conduct around the animals -;

given the 'remote' location - river cruise ship and organized land tour visitors are likely the only tourists the farm sees .....

great -

thanks for verifying;

we found the farm's exact physical location, just SE of DUNAPATAJ off #51 and about 10 km NE of KALOCSA; the Serbien/ Croatian boarder is near by (~60KM S of Kalocsa) - whereby the Austrian boarder runs further than 250 KM away, thus this farm is truly in a very rough location - am 'Arsch der Welt' - far from any notable civilization. However German and Austrian horse people travel almost every weekend with their horses to one or the other event and so spread the word.

in the meantime, please continue to get the word out via the internet ........

Thank you so much for your help. I am really happy that someone will look in to this situation. Please be sure to have them check out the horses in the barn. Their ribs were showing quite a bit, and I'm not used to seeing horses looking like they are so malnourished. I'm still upset about it all.

Archived