Bear safety: self-driving

Poipu04

This may seem like a silly question but do bears dart out into traffic like deer or do they usually just lumber around if they are near a road and slowly cross? We are renting a car in Skagway to drive to Emerald Lake. I see an occassional post about seeing beer cross the road. Where I am from, deer are everywhere, so we are used to driving with them as a hazard. We also have rare and often deadly moose strikes in our state. I heard those dart out as well. Any pointers?

Just like any animal a bear can dart out, my buddy hit a black bear doing 120km/h here in BC years ago made a mess of the truck and killed the bear. I think bears usually keep off the road but you should be prepared for anything to cross.

This may seem like a silly question but do bears dart out into traffic like deer or do they usually just lumber around if they are near a road and slowly cross? We are renting a car in Skagway to drive to Emerald Lake. I see an occassional post about seeing beer cross the road. Where I am from, deer are everywhere, so we are used to driving with them as a hazard. We also have rare and often deadly moose strikes in our state. I heard those dart out as well. Any pointers?

Bears usually tend to stay on the side of the road and don't usually dart out like deer. I my travels in BC (60 years +) I have never bear dart out into the road.

I've only had one bear dart onto the road in front of me. That was on the Cassiar Highway just south of Dease Lake. The others all just graze and eat the greens alongside the road. Most unfazed by the passing traffic.

First consideration, IF you see cars just pulled over, not in the pull offs, then slow down, they may be wildlife watching. I have, twice encountered bears on the road/crossing the Klondike Highway. So be alert and cautious.

Years ago I was driving on a secluded road in Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park in CA. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed movement to my left, and slowed down. It was a bear running diagonally thru the field and across the road in front of me. If I hadn't stopped he would have run right into the side of my van.

One thing I learned was there was no way I could even consider outrunning him. I could not believe how fast he could move, wherever he was headed he was sure in a hurry to get there.

Archived