Daily Clothes Planning Spreadsheet

Found an interesting quote

Rely-Quotes-People-who-want-to-appear-clever-rely-on-memory.-People-who-want-to-get-things-done-make-lists.png

:D

~

Wish I could be one of those who have no problem wearing things twice. (would save on packing)

Me' date=' if I wear anything for any length of time, half hr, couple of hours, a day... it goes right into the hamper to be washed. Can't put on something that hasn't been cleaned. :o That's the ocd in me.[/quote']

I do have a list, but do wear stuff more than once. Going on a 16 day cruise. No way to take outfits for 16 days and nights for me and my husband. I will be on NCL, so they will wash for me for free. So actually they stuff is worn more than once but washed. You know what I would have to pay for my luggage for so many days.

Lynn

I'm doing a transatlantic cruise for 17 days with one suitcase!!!!!! Help

torix

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just make sure laundry facilities are available onboard. There are usually self service washers and dryers, and laundry services available from the ship. If you are in a suite, laundry is most likely free. Some ships provide laundry free to certain levels in their loyalty programs. In any case having your clothes laundered is most likely cheaper that paying for excess baggage on a flight (as this would be round trip). You always buy souvenirs so consider taking old clothing (underwear, shoes, etc.) and discarding it to make room for the new things you buy.

Hi,

I just lay out all the clothes I want to take on one side of the bed & put all my spending money on the other side. Then I half the clothes & double the money..!!

Works every time....:D

Mick

I have spreadsheets for everything related to each cruise (travel, hotels, phone #s, confirmation, toiletries, etc) and even a very loose clothes list. I never thought of breaking it down like many of the posters have done. Great idea and I am going to implement this as I am an over-packer. I usually end up just adding and adding until the suitcase is full. I want to travel lighter and more efficiently. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Now that we are both retired I will have to tweak this system, but when I was working we could only take 7-day cruises. Having had airport security paw thru my suitcases a couple times, I started packing a complete outfit in a 2-gal plastic bag squeezed flat, even underwear. I pack as many outfits as we have days to be gone, keeping in mind the temps & activities I am expecting. My DH does the same. I try to have most separates do double duty if needed; keeping the base color either navy or brown or black helps a lot. Then we pack a swimsuit bag each and 2-3 bags each for dressy clothes (we dance every night!). A basic skirt looks way different with different tops - same for my DH changing shirts & ties with basic slacks. I keep a list of what I intend to wear on each day, including jewelry and shoes. My DH refers to my list. THEN we trade some of our bags so if one suitcase is lost, not all of one person's clothing is lost.

I start by going from head to toes to see what I need. Along the way say when it comes to shirt, I have to see how many t-shirts, I'm bringing or how many dress shirts, sweaters, etc...etc...

I find that going from head to toes, I won't miss what I need to pack.

Then after, I will see if I miss anything for toiletry. Next would be electronics (camera, camera chargers, phone, phone chargers, etc..etc..). My last part would be the documentations (air, hotel, cruise, passport, etc...etc...)

I pack right from the rack and not only do I not forget anything this way, I don't end up packing extras, since I'm not near my closet :p

Great idea! I move some of the clothes and other items to the spare bedroom as I think of them but then I'm running around the last day or two before the cruise, trying to find the rest of the things I need. Your idea sounds much more organized than what I do since it's all in one spot when packing begins.

I'm doing a transatlantic cruise for 17 days with one suitcase!!!!!! Help

torix

My husband and I did a 21 day cruise in the spring to the Caribbean with only 1 carry on apiece. We stuck to dark bottoms, a few coordinating tops and I took some sundresses. We don't do formal nights, so we didn't have a problem.

Mary Lou

Just make sure laundry facilities are available onboard. There are usually self service washers and dryers, and laundry services available from the ship. If you are in a suite, laundry is most likely free. Some ships provide laundry free to certain levels in their loyalty programs. In any case having your clothes laundered is most likely cheaper that paying for excess baggage on a flight (as this would be round trip). You always buy souvenirs so consider taking old clothing (underwear, shoes, etc.) and discarding it to make room for the new things you buy.

If I was to leave my underwear ie bra they could probably use it for a hammock on their next sailing!

; 0!!!!!

I'm going to investigate about the orchestra to see if there laundry service is reasonable! But no shoes will be left behind. ,,, that's the only part of any of my outfits I'm guaranteed will fit lolllll!,,,

Thanks tori

My husband and I did a 21 day cruise in the spring to the Caribbean with only 1 carry on apiece. We stuck to dark bottoms, a few coordinating tops and I took some sundresses. We don't do formal nights, so we didn't have a problem.

Mary Lou

Sounds just like what I pack.

My sister and I who have traveled to Europe and will be cruising and traveling again in October for a month, travel with only one carry-on a piece. You learn after traveling with more than one suit case in Europe, that it's a pain to drag them all over the place, especially on a bus or train or pulling your luggage down the street to your hotel. One carry-on is the only way to go. Just coordinate, and you wouldn't believe how many outfits you will have when you mix and match. There are always laundry facilities available both on ships and in cities, besides washing out personal items at night in your room. I don't make a list, I just do it, and figure if it's something I forget at home, they have soaps, deodorants, etc I can purchase where ever I am...:rolleyes:

I tend to pack similarly to HoyaHeel....black, white, & red. I usually pack 2 pr. black slacks (one casual, one dressy), 1 pr. white slacks, 3-4 black/white tops, 1 red or red/black top, a lightweight cotton black "jacket" that can be worn over a top (in case dining room is cool), 1-2 dressy black or black/silver tops. I also usually travel in lightweight jeans. I start laying everything out 2 weeks before I leave. I add jewelry and scarf accessories, shoes (1 sandal-type, 1 dress shoe and I fly in athletic shoes), a light jacket/raincoat. I keep a travel make-up bag ready, as we do quick trips to visit family.

Great Idea! I tend to overpack too.

I am one of those who can't decide what to pack or wear... I tend to overpack.. So I came up with a solution that helps me. I made a daily clothes spreadsheet (see below)... I also use a detailed packing list for other essentials.. Spreadsheet just helps me out planning what to pack without out emptying out all my drawers' date=' closets, etc.[/b']

Plus, organizing and planning for a cruise is half the fun!!! :D

I don't follow the chart to a T. I do switch outfits up when I'm on board. I don't know the exact dates when Formal Nights are. I just plan on two...

As you can see, some days aren't filled in completely, some have no details because I never know what day of the week the cruise will start... Sometimes it's Saturday other times it could be mid-week. I free-hand it in according to the start of the cruise. ...

bf9cefa5-3c58-45b3-86a7-2267e90942b7_zps79b65a2b.jpg

Great reading here and I'm enjoying all the various ideas. We've done 5 day cruises to nearly 3 week European River cruises. Each time I find we're taking less stuff. We're doing Panama Canal in Oct. and have a plan in place. We agreed to use laundry service since our ship (HAL Westerdam) doesn't have self-service. I generally plan 2-3 tops for each pr. of slacks/capris /shorts since I know in hot weather we'll change for dinner (and hopefully wear it again). Shoe are my downfall.

Wow! As a Newbee to cruising( next month will be our first!), I love the ideas listed here! :) going to print one up as soon as I post this. Thank you all for your suggestions! :cool:

What might also help you a bit is take a couple of Purex Complete 3-In-1 Laundry Sheets with you and then you can pack less clothes. I usually do laundry at least once so I don't pack as much and with these sheets you don't have to worry about powder or liquid spilling and they don't weigh anything. Yes, you can buy laundry soap on board but why pay extra, everything on board a ship is going to be expensive like running down to the hotel shop because you forgot something and you go wow, really that much (remember they can charge what ever they want because you are stuck ... unless you can make do till you hit land).

Otherwise I can't give to much advise on packing because even though I have it down to 1 large suitcase (for both my husband and my clothes) and 1 backpack for laptop, meds, wallets, keys, etc. (also big enough to throw in our pj, and what ever toilet articles we might need for the morning we disembark, since they collect your luggage the night before), I find I still over pack. I want to get it down to a smaller suitcase, lol, and one day I will. :D

HAVE A GREAT TIME ON YOUR FIRST CURISE! It will not be your last. :D

I used to pack an outfit for every night. Believe it or not, I just finished a 27-day cruise packed in just a carry-on and a backpack. We now get free fights from some friends who work for the airlines, so we fly stand-by and need to keep our bags with us. It was tight, but I made it! Did lots of wash and mixed and matched my clothes. It worked out well. I'll never pack in a big suitcase again. It's amazing what you can get by with. And nobody else really cares about your clothes, anyway, as long as you look nice.

Last year when my husband and I went to Bermuda, I used visual planning. I took pictures of all my clothes and printed them out.

I made multiple copies of my shoes. Then, I could mix and match and figure out which clothes went good together, which was easier that dragging all the clothes out and laying them all over my bedroom.

Then, I pasted them on poster board so I had it to refer to when packing and I packed my outfits together. It worked pretty well. I may have over packed. I packed one outfit for every day and one for every night, plus a couple extra just in case.

I've found having a list is helpful, so I have a general one page version for all travel. It's obvious which items pertain to cruises, which are for auto trips, and which are needed for both. Having taken 21 cruises since mid 2006 we've learned how to travel with one medium suitcase each and a backpack (mine) and messenger bag (hers). Yes, we include appropriate formal night wear and she has her shoes!

I've found having a list is helpful, so I have a general one page version for all travel. It's obvious which items pertain to cruises, which are for auto trips, and which are needed for both. After taking 21 cruises since mid 2006 we've learned how to travel with one medium suitcase each and a backpack (mine) and messenger bag (hers). Yes, we include appropriate formal night wear!

Note to all: Be sure to pack a change of clothes in your traveling companions case and they do the same - just in case.

Note #2: Doing laundry- Someone mentioned 3 in 1 sheets. They can't be found in your local stores anymore but are still available at Amazon and some dollar stores.

I lay everything out in the spare room in advance and then when I go to put it in the bag, take away at least 1/3. Then when I get to my destination, I know I will be covered with a few outfits to spare. We each take one suitcase and a carry on. We depend on laundry facilities to be available. (Checking ahead of time)

We also snorkel and the equipment goes in our suitcases. We use their life vests.

I also have a hangable doc kit that I keep full all the time with all the must haves - toothbrush & paste, comb, deodorant (Sample size.) I then use the 'freebies' that are left in the hotel rooms and cruise rooms. My skin can wait till I get home to be pampered again.