Daily Clothes Planning Spreadsheet

I'd love to do away with formal nights as well. I could do semi-formal all week and love it (LBD or three) but my husband really likes not taking the dress clothing along. He really likes not wearing a tie...at all. He'll do it for me if I insisted, but it's no longer a big issue for me.

Getting older does have advantages, I'm more comfortable in my own head now :p

Happy ks

I know so many who use the laundry service on board or Princess's self service laundry.

I just can't see doing laundry during a 7 night cruise. I rather be doing more fun things around the ship than watching the spin cycle....

If it were longer' date=' say 14 nighter, then I can see throwing a load or two in.

Personally, I feel cruise lines can do away with "formal" nights. Especially now with the Airline baggage charges. Boy, would that save our backs from carrying, lugging around extra weight and save us a ton of money.

[b']

emma594[/b]

Thanks for the link...Even they say "make a list" :D

They are right about NOT packing Unnecessary Gadgets.

On threads here, you will see people packing all sorts of weird things.... duct tape (for what - love bondage? :o) , bungie cord to hold a door open...(don't they have a foot? ;))

Cruzer26

On a 7 night, there were 2 ladies sitting next to use each evening in the MDR. I remember them wearing the same outfit 3 times... Mind you, I am no fashion police... I can't remember what I wore yesterday...:o

We take lots of pictures and like having different outfits (not the same one over and over again ;)) If DH asks how do you remember which day the picture was, I wipe out my speadsheet, see green dress on Tuesday... Blue dress on Friday.... :D

I've just found out the msc orchestra only charge 25€ for thirty items which can be spread across the holiday plus any item big or small I'm in heaven. Everything comes back neatly pressed as well you can't go wrong! : )

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am one of those who can't decide what to pack or wear... I tend to overpack.. So I came up with a solution that helps me. I made a daily clothes spreadsheet (see below)... I also use a detailed packing list for other essentials.. Spreadsheet just helps me out planning what to pack without out emptying out all my drawers' date=' closets, etc.[/b']

Plus, organizing and planning for a cruise is half the fun!!! :D

I don't follow the chart to a T. I do switch outfits up when I'm on board. I don't know the exact dates when Formal Nights are. I just plan on two...

As you can see, some days aren't filled in completely, some have no details because I never know what day of the week the cruise will start... Sometimes it's Saturday other times it could be mid-week. I free-hand it in according to the start of the cruise. ...

bf9cefa5-3c58-45b3-86a7-2267e90942b7_zps79b65a2b.jpg

I start 1 month before cruise & add to it along the way. I call it my take list & w/o clothing (that's easy) I include extra things like: Bonine - Post Notes - Garbage can liner for dirty clothes (no more odors)

Yes I do a dress plan for every cruise as well. I also break the day to morning and evening wear. I find this to be the best and most efficient way to pack for a cruise and for any vacation as well. This allows me to pack the right clothes, not to overpack and not to forget things. It really is a sensible way to take the stress out of packing. I put the plan to paper (MS word table) a month or so before the cruise and refine it until it is time to pack. I include excursions and other activities planned. I lay out the clothes I included in the plan, run it through a final common sense check and pack the day before we leave. We have been cruising since 1998. It works all the time. :)

We must be twins separated at birth! :)

I have found my people! :D I use packing spreadsheets for EVERY trip, business and pleasure.

I have shared my spreadsheet with many of my fellow cruisers, some appreciate my er...attention to detail...while others think I'm nuts (but a well packed and organized nut). Overpacking is not an issue and I always feel relaxed that I haven't forgotten anything.

If anyone wants a copy, I'm happy to share!

Pam

Yes please!! Email me at jan chiasson at g mail dot com.

Thanks!!!!

After watching a Cunard video, I made a cruise closet. I have all the clothing and shoes in there I will be taking. (It really was easy last cruise having everything in one place). I have a dresser drawer where I keep my travel underwear and an under-the-bed plastic box in which I keep odds and ends.

I have a packing list for my next cruise and a cruise book in which I have pictures of all my clothing. I am going to use a spreadsheet as the cruise progresses. Since I will be dressing for dinner most of 118 nights, I want to spread out my wardrobe so I don't where the same mix and match items together too often.

It's a shame Purex discontinued the 3 in 1 sheets. They are great for a cruise. We used them on the last cruise and it was nice not to have to worry about taking detergent and dryer sheets. If you like them, you should get them while they are still available online (I bought two boxes for my next cruise).

http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp?ga=us72&q=purex+3in1+laundry+sheets

LadyDivot

Pam

How about posting your spreadsheet here. :)

~~~

Scrapnana

Wish I had a place to put all my cruise/vacation stuff in. I have it here and there. :rolleyes: Do have all my gowns, evening dresses in a wardrobe closet. But some how can't find a dress for my up & coming cruise. :( Maybe I have to start making a list where I put things. :cool:

LadyDivot

Pam

How about posting your spreadsheet here. :)

~~~

Scrapnana

Wish I had a place to put all my cruise/vacation stuff in. I have it here and there. :rolleyes: Do have all my gowns' date=' evening dresses in a wardrobe closet. But some how can't find a dress for my up & coming cruise. :( Maybe I have to start making a list where I put things. :cool:[/quote']

That's how mine were before the cruise closet. I live in a tiny house with only two closets. I also have two wardrobes. When I first started collecting things for my cruise they were in four different places. The video motivated me to rearrange and get all my cruise clothes in one place. I also made myself donate one old article of clothing for each new one I bought.

I have a Superlist. It covers every trip everywhere. I just print one off for each new packing exercise.

I think the record was 19 pieces of luggage between three of us - my dad had 1.5...!

But for packing advice, I can't say better than this post from my cruise blog, cruisetheoceanswithemma.com:

Please click here: What-not-to-pack

Emma just so I'm clear on your post, did you say 19 luggages for 3 PEOPLE? Did you plan on living on the ship afterwards??? LOL Just can't see a reason for so many, was it a world cruise? We can't wrap our minds around it!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have several word files that I keep changing around with not only the clothing, but the way I plan to wear the clothing. I work with spreadsheets at work all of the time...they aggravate me, so the word document works best for me personally. I have the list at the top and then I work on the list at the bottom of the combinations I have planned. I like lists, especially since my hubby is a procrastinator....he's been known to go overseas on business trips and pack 10 minutes before leaving and he always forgets something. It's crazy!

I am a now reformed overpacker who only packs in a carry on. We use the bundle method to pack, so if we are staying any amount of time in Florida, I pack a smaller bag for our stay. I'm with other posters here that feel that it's so easy to wash something out quick and hang it to dry. The main thing I like is there are no clothing meltdowns on the cruise. I've tried everything on, freshened it up and then I pack it. My stress level is so much better in the clothing department! :D LOL, we also own Miatas as our only cars....there are no more large bags!

I'm in progress on my list for our December cruise....LOL I'm trying something new and not BUYING anything for this one. (Yeah, I'm saying that now! :p:eek::rolleyes:) I really love Jon Holloway's bundling method....it's awesome for a cruise!

901416065_beforepacking.jpg.8d29bbb5689db435a76bffea31d45a79.jpg

391015277_packingjob.jpg.3c3952b51b490b3b280f06d52a7c6438.jpg

Edited by islandgirlejfan

Wow! Didn't realize there were videos on how to pack.

Had to laugh.... packing Two MONTHS with only 16 garments. :rolleyes: That's a guy for ya... Hand comb wrinkles out...:D HA!!!....Noticed he didn't pack any toiletries nor bathing suits, formal wear. :confused::cool:

Scrapnana - Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't think of it, mostly because I haven't done it before. :o You've helped to create a monster!

I've included two spreadsheets, one for a business trip/vacation trip and one from a cruise on the Solstice. For the cruise, the locations and time in port is at the top of the column. For the other trips, all the items on the bottom of the first page are things I review to take on all trips.

Don't judge me too harshly - this works for me and my extremely patient DH. :D For those familiar with excel, some of the rows are merged and some are wide rows. Let me know if you have any questions or need tech support.

Enjoy!

Pam

Sample Packing Spreadsheet_Washington DC_Aug 2013.xls

Sample_Cruise_Packing_List_Solstice Caribbean.xls

Wow! Didn't realize there were videos on how to pack.

Had to laugh.... packing Two MONTHS with only 16 garments. That's a guy for ya... Hand comb wrinkles out... HA!!!....Noticed he didn't pack any toiletries nor bathing suits' date=' formal wear. :confused::cool:[/quote']

Search YouTube for packing videos....OMG!:eek::p

I'm figuring he's packing for a trip and not a cruise and I would hope he's washing on the trip...LOL! I'm thinking this method got really popular when the fees started going on luggage. I find it so easy now that I have learned how to do it. It may not work for everyone, but I really like it....this coming from a fluffy size 20W!

The interesting thing is you can get all those other items in though. I pack my hubby's bag in a smaller carry on combination suiter then my own and I get not only his suit in, but all his clothing and shoes. Since I started using this method, it has not failed us. Our clothing comes out for the most part with no wrinkles. I take Downy wrinkle release just in case. We do wear our slacks twice on a cruise....four hours on does not make them dirty. We change tops nightly.

We are just taking basic toiletries now. I really hope to take more of those last minute cruises in the future...this method just makes it so easy! :) Everyone has what they like though....and I can appreciate that! :)

Edited by islandgirlejfan

Scrap - Did I read you are packing for 118 nights!?! Wow - good for you! Will there be anywhere left to cruise after that! ;) How cool. Did Cunard send you a video on how to pack for that many nights? I can see why they would.

I watched the packing video. Interesting. I'm a fan of packing cubes from eBags. Sometimes I pack all the clothes for one day in a cube, other times all the bottoms go in one cube, tops in another, etc. Their shoe bag/cube is one of my favorite items. I also have what we call the "electronics bag." It's a small packing cube that has spare phone chargers, ipod chargers, travel surge protector, wifi card, extension cord, etc. It's packed all the time and stored with our luggage. It goes on every trip and ready to go. No more forgotten chargers! I travel for work too, so this has been a lifesaver.

Pam

Scrap - Did I read you are packing for 118 nights!?! Wow - good for you! Will there be anywhere left to cruise after that! ;) How cool. Did Cunard send you a video on how to pack for that many nights? I can see why they would.

Pam

Pam,

Actually it was a video about their world cruises. They interviewed 3 couples (one was a mother-daughter traveling duo) that have done multiple world cruises. The mother showed her cruise closet and said that was where all the clothes were kept for the world cruises. After trying to find a place in a closet or a wardrobe for each new item (and then having to search all of them when I wanted to looke at an item again) a cruise closet was a wonderful idea. BTW, it is now full (very small closet) so I think I have to stop buying!:eek:

Kathi

Edited by Scrapnana

Islandgirl

Haven't heard of Downy wrinkle release... How does that work??? :confused:

http://downywrinklereleaser.com/aa/

http://downywrinklereleaser.com/tips-and-tricks/

It comes in a TSA size and not only does it help with wrinkles, but it freshens things up. I took it and used it on one thing, only because I decided I wanted to wear it again and it worked fine. It's more of an *in case* thing for me. I can't say we really had any wrinkles in anything to speak of using the bundling method....my bag was packed for an entire week before the cruise. I bought it at Target I believe.