SAS Airlines and When to Book

bvocruise

We cruising out of Copenhagen late May of 2014. We found great nonstop flights from DC for about $1,120 each. All of the other major airlines we would fly are about $300 more and make a stop.

Should I book or wait. We plan on flying in the day of the cruise this time instead of going a day or two early.

I do not think you are in too big of a hurry to book and should be fine to maybe hold off. While this year it is true that SAS sale fares for summer were at their best $999 and they were only valid from the 17th of June.

SAS will face some added competition this year from New York and Ft. Lauderdale with up and coming Norwegian that will be using new 787 dreamliners on their route to OSLO with easy connection to Copenhagen.

Not that that would directly effect you, but it may lead SAS to be even more competitive next year.

Another great thing with SAS is that they use a service called Optiontown that has their own website. You can pay there to be listed for an upgrade. You get all but $6 refunded if you do not get your upgrade to business or economy extra. I have used this several times and have always had luck getting Business. The best thing is that the upgrade actually changes code and you get the double frequent flyer miles depending on your program.

We are concerned about flying in the some day but have never had a problem. The flight has a good on-time rate and is scheduled to land at 7:15 am which gives us five hours of cushion if there is a problem.

I appreciate the tip on paying to be listed for an upgrade. I did not see that option but will look for it. We flew KLM this last May and were able to upgrade for abut $325 a person and it was well worth it.

We are concerned about flying in the some day but have never had a problem. The flight has a good on-time rate and is scheduled to land at 7:15 am which gives us five hours of cushion if there is a problem.

I appreciate the tip on paying to be listed for an upgrade. I did not see that option but will look for it. We flew KLM this last May and were able to upgrade for abut $325 a person and it was well worth it.

5 hrs is of no use if you have a 6 hr delay like we have had in the past --out of Chicago waiting for a plane part! Or the two day, or more, delay with an Icelandic Volcano erupting! Just have back-up plans in case of the unforeseen....

Something like the volcano incident was a freak thing that messed up a lot of travel plans.

We will have trip insurance which may help us get to the next port if needed. Then again, you are not the first to recommend flying in a day or two early. We need to decide before purchasing the tickets as they cannot be changed.

Well, if your next port is Oslo or Warnemunde you have flights about every 90 minutes from CPH along with train connections to about anywhere else

The upgrade option is handled through a separate company and is confirmed up to three days prior to flight so you get all benefits of class including lounge access and extra baggage and correct FF miles.

https://www.optiontown.com/home_page.do?processAction=HomePage

Well, if your next port is Oslo or Warnemunde you have flights about every 90 minutes from CPH along with train connections to about anywhere else

The upgrade option is handled through a separate company and is confirmed up to three days prior to flight so you get all benefits of class including lounge access and extra baggage and correct FF miles.

https://www.optiontown.com/home_page.do?processAction=HomePage

Last-minute flights could be expensive, however. Flights to Warnemunde? Or just to Berlin, and train from there?

Last-minute flights could be expensive, however. Flights to Warnemunde? Or just to Berlin, and train from there?

That would be Berlin and train. You can even get a 7 hour train with 2 connections directly from Copenhagen to Warnemunde. Not ideal, but not a disaster.

Archived