key west immigration - early tours?

trub

hi all, i read on another thread that as our cruise hits key west before FL we will do US immigration there.

I was looking at booking an excursion at 08:30 but now not sure if we will make it?

anyone know how long clearing immigration will take and if 08:30 is doable?

thank you, in advance,

hi all, i read on another thread that as our cruise hits key west before FL we will do US immigration there.

I was looking at booking an excursion at 08:30 but now not sure if we will make it?

thank you, in advance,

Clearing US Immigration is done by deck sequence starting with the top. Actual waiting time in line for US is about 5 minutes since the flow is staggered. There will be two lines: US and Others. It may take you 5 minutes but with stragglers, it might be two hours for the entire ship.

If it is a HAL excursion, they will wait until the ship is cleared by US Immigration.

Last December, our ship was not cleared until 9:30 AM and only after the Captain told the missing Russian passengers via a Russian interpretor that a $1000 fine would be imposed by US Immigration if they didn't appear in 15 minutes. Nobody could leave the ship until ALL passengers were checked.

8:30 is possible but not probable. I would go for 10:00 to be sure.

thank you, in advance,

Trub,

We are doing the same thing in feb. off the subject : what kind of shore ex did find worth doing in key west ?

crew news: thanks for your input - it is a HAL tour so assume it will be ok. your knowledge and willingness to share it is much appreciated.

thebes: we are looking at the nature kayak - looks fun and some exercise too (am doing a B2B so can chill 2nd week)

Trub,

We are doing the same thing in feb. off the subject : what kind of shore ex did find worth doing in key west ?

Thebes, I'm not 'trub', but I will booking the shore ex 'History & Legends' for Key West, on my upcoming 14 Day Southern Caribbean cruise onboard the 'Ryndam' :)

This shore ex is scheduled for 3 hours, commencing at 1:15 p.m. & costs $79.95 per adult!

I've never been to Key West & I am looking forward to our (brief) stop at this port of call! ;)

thank you, in advance,

Key West is easy to explore on your own. You really don't need to buy an excursion. One thing of interest is the Truman summer White House. And, of course, the Hemingway House. Have fun! I love Key West.

At my last visit to Key West (2012), I paid for the trolley but with two ships in port, they were filled to capacity. The town is not that large and can be walked quite easily. Another harbor for smaller boats is about four blocks from the port has some great restaurants and incredible boats. The old homes are are in great shape in spite of all of the hurricanes.

Do not forget to buy a key lime pie or at least some key lime pie ice cream...yummmmm.

Thebes, I'm not 'trub', but I will booking the shore ex 'History & Legends' for Key West, on my upcoming 14 Day Southern Caribbean cruise onboard the 'Ryndam' :)

This shore ex is scheduled for 3 hours, commencing at 1:15 p.m. & costs $79.95 per adult!

I've never been to Key West & I am looking forward to our (brief) stop at this port of call! ;)

Thanks for sharing geriatric nurse. Are u a geriatric nurse for real ?

Clearing US Immigration is done by deck sequence starting with the top. Actual waiting time in line for US is about 5 minutes since the flow is staggered. There will be two lines: US and Others. It may take you 5 minutes but with stragglers, it might be two hours for the entire ship.

If it is a HAL excursion, they will wait until the ship is cleared by US Immigration.

Last December, our ship was not cleared until 9:30 AM and only after the Captain told the missing Russian passengers via a Russian interpretor that a $1000 fine would be imposed by US Immigration if they didn't appear in 15 minutes. Nobody could leave the ship until ALL passengers were checked.

8:30 is possible but not probable. I would go for 10:00 to be sure.

It may not always be done by deck.

One time we were done alphabetically.

Something to remember -- Eurodam is too large of a ship to dock at Mallory Square.

The ship will be docked at the old US Naval dock and no one is allowed to walk through the area to get to and from town. If you are on a HAL excursion, your tour will leave from that dock area. But you may either be brought back to the ship via your tour or you will be dropped off in town and have to take the free trolley back to the ship. Those people not taking tours, line up for the free trolleys (sometimes the conch train helps out) shuttle everyone to town.

Something to remember -- Eurodam is too large of a ship to dock at Mallory Square.

The ship will be docked at the old US Naval dock and no one is allowed to walk through the area to get to and from town. If you are on a HAL excursion, your tour will leave from that dock area. But you may either be brought back to the ship via your tour or you will be dropped off in town and have to take the free trolley back to the ship. Those people not taking tours, line up for the free trolleys (sometimes the conch train helps out) shuttle everyone to town.

I was wondering about this earlier as well. Right now Eurodam is scheduled to dock at Pier B (at least for our cruise in Feb. 14), which is right next to the Mallory Square dock.

http://www.keywestcity.com/eGov/apps/document/center.egov?view=item;id=9494

I was wondering about this earlier as well. Right now Eurodam is scheduled to dock at Pier B (at least for our cruise in Feb. 14), which is right next to the Mallory Square dock.

http://www.keywestcity.com/eGov/apps/document/center.egov?view=item;id=9494

C-cruise

Feb 14 is a sea day on my itinerary.

Thank you CC family :)

taneous@hotmail.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Gang,

Tours on the ship are much more expensive then going to the Historic Tours of America (HTA) booth outside the customs gate. Their price is under $55 for the same tour, which the ship books through HTA. If you are a senior, 62 or older, retired or active military or in a group of 6 or more they knock off an additional $3. Another tip and plug for HTA - children 12 and under ride free. I know most of the cruise lines will charge you a lower price for the children but they should be free! HTA will charge only $6 for each entrance fee and that is it. I'm a local and my Lady works for HTA. We also are frequent cruisers HAL. They also have a WEB site - check it out. Welcome to Key West!!!!! One of the best kept secrets of the USA.

Eurodam is not going to Navy Pier/Navy Mole/Old Mole on 16 Nov in Key West, rather she'll be berthed at Pier B. In addition to that, she'll be the only cruise ship in town that day. Enjoy!

69654_10151422012940729_1160167363_n.jpg

Westerdam at Key West's Pier B

Another tip and plug for HTA - children 12 and under ride free. I know most of the cruise lines will charge you a lower price for the children but they should be free!

Why, if they are taking up a seat? A baby on a lap I can get, but not a child who is taking a seat.

Eurodam is not going to Navy Pier/Navy Mole/Old Mole on 16 Nov in Key West, rather she'll be berthed at Pier B. In addition to that, she'll be the only cruise ship in town that day. Enjoy!

69654_10151422012940729_1160167363_n.jpg

Westerdam at Key West's Pier B

Yeah...we will be on that sailing! As many Caribbean cruises as I have taken I have never been to Key West and that is one of the reasons we chose the Eurodam!! Thanks for helping to build the excitement!!

Archived