Grandeur Engine Trouble

LIke i said, have cruised 6 times and never been seasick even in rough seas. If you think the Grandeur is not small then you have never sailed a Voyager Class Ship. The dining room was full and didn't think about changing tables. Have never had and inattentive waiter before. Our room stewart was tops though.

If you have not sailed before and apparently you haven't or you would not ask that question. Every waiter i have ever had, told you what was going on in the evening and the next morning for breakfast. The first night had no time to read the compass. Too busy unpacking and getting ready for dinner. Also travelled with son and his friend. They had a blast.

Why are all you people talking about my going to Bermuda. Went there two years ago. Have no plans to sail. Just returned from a boring trip on the Grandeur.

READ your signature:

"Hi, my son (15), myself and my husband will also be traveling to Bermuda on July 20th on the Norwegian Sea. We are looking forward to it."

###

Don't know why that post still pops up. That was two years ago. My son is now almost 18 and we are not going to Bermuda. Beautiful place though. Enjoyed that trip. If you know how to get rid of a two year old post, let me know.

Don't know why that post still pops up. That was two years ago. My son is now almost 18 and we are not going to Bermuda. Beautiful place though. Enjoyed that trip. If you know how to get rid of a two year old post, let me know.

It's not a post, it's your signature! Click on the User CP link on the top of the page and edit that area.

###

We went on Grandeur May 27th for our honeymoon on a 9 night.

We had a wonderful time. It was my 6th cruise with RCI and about my 15th - 16th cruise, total.

It truely depends on your waiter if they tell you what's going on the next day or not. Not all my waiters have informed us of everything...that's why I always enjoy looking at the cruise compass on my pillow after dinner.

I can honestly say that our Grandeur cruise in May was one of my favorite cruises on RCI. We had great service and food! I had a roasted duck with currant sauce, croquettes and braised red cabbage and an osso bucco with polenta, both of which were most memorable. I had plenty of other wonderful things, too.

The only thing I did not care for was a salmon pasta, which was quickly replaced by the mahi mahi, which was great. I didn't even have to ask...my waiter saw that I had not eaten much and asked me what he could bring me instead.

My favorite RCI ship so far (for design and atmosphere) was the Radiance of the Seas...but Grandeur is second favorite in that category. I thought she was wonderful for her age...almost seemed new to me.

I would sail on Grandeur again in a heartbeat!

Almost did in fact...we almost booked her next year for Bermuda but decided we really wanted to see the stretched Enchantment instead...so that's what we're doing. But any other time, I would book Grandeur, esp. for the convinient Baltimore departure!

Anyone going on her soon...enjoy her.

BTW...she should probably be next in line for the "stretch"!

LIke i said, have cruised 6 times and never been seasick even in rough seas. If you think the Grandeur is not small then you have never sailed a Voyager Class Ship. The dining room was full and didn't think about changing tables. Have never had and inattentive waiter before. Our room stewart was tops though.

Fay: With all due respect. I have sailed on Voyager class ships as well as the Empress, Zenith and Horizon and compared to those Grandeur is NOT small. I was on a 110,000 ton ship on my first cruise back in 2000 and we sailed into a storm and trust me when I tell you 50% of the ship was sick. Size is meaningless in a storm. Hopefully your next cruise is more enjoyable.

Thank you, I also hope my next cruise is more enjoyable, but it will not be on a smaller, older ship. Even one of the bar persons said Grandeur was one of RCC"s smallest ships. Get with the program.

If you consider the Grandeur "small", I would hate to see what really small is, lol. I have also sailed on the Navigator twice and yes it is really "big", but the Grandeur is just as nice.

Get with the program.

8 cruises in a span of 16 months qualifies as being "with the program." We had a thread the other night about complainers and you would be the poster cruiser for that thread. You can't face the fact that the majority of your complaints were your own imagination and could have easily been solved if you weren't so rude and ignorant. Only a moron would call a 77,000 ton ship small.

Even one of the bar persons said Grandeur was one of RCC"s smallest ships. Get with the program.

I must have some illness... I just can't seem to resist taking statements like this and spoiling them with truth.

A quick survey of the fleet (not counting Freedom, since the stats aren't out on her yet) reveals that Grandeur is tied for 10th out of 19 RCCL ships in length!

Hardly one of the smallest.

I need a cure. :D

Theron

Thank you, I also hope my next cruise is more enjoyable, but it will not be on a smaller, older ship. Even one of the bar persons said Grandeur was one of RCC"s smallest ships. Get with the program.

And we all know how well informed every one of a ship's staff is. Actually, the Nordic Empress, Legend of the Seas, and Splendour of the Seas are smaller than the Grandeur or the other Vision Class ships, and none of them are "small" if you compare them with many ships still sailing today, much less ships that we sailed on years ago. Regardless of the size of the ship, they are still miniscule when compared with the vast oceans they sail on, so size is not the only determinant when it comes to handling rough seas.

Almost any ship can be considered "small" if you compare it to Voyager Class, but how will you describe Voyager when Freedom is launched? Good luck, finding a ship that will meet your requirements :)

Jeff, I sailed on the Norwegian Sea to Bermuda, I think 2 years ago. I don't agree that it was much smaller, but the layout was better. Rooms not that great, but the public areas were pretty.

I was on the Grandeur a few weeks ago and I have an amazing time. I recommend Grandeur and/or the 5 nighter to Bermuda. The ONLY complaint that I have is that the Captain didn't make an announcement about the rough seas on the first sea day (Moonday). While it was okay by 12 noon, I really felt bad for the first-timers who didn't know what was going on.

Grandeur is BEAUTIFUL and the crew is EXCELLENT (if you have had Victor has your assistant waiter, you should get the joke)

fay54 - Sorry you had such a bad experience. DW and DS were sick the first sea day and our room steward Janelle (she did the towel folding demo) did much to make them comfortable. An awfully lot of people had those patches behind the ear the rest of the cruise. We enjoyed our dining room experience and had a great time at all the shows.

For those on the 5 Day Bermuda runs, you can still set up your own "M&M" if you have a list of people. I will find out who it was we set it up with. They sent out invites to people on the original M&M list although I did not receive one for some reason. They offerred the option of paying a fee for everyone or to have them pay for their own bar drinks (we went with the latter). It was held in the Viking Crown on the second sea day and was intended to make up for those who did not make the first one. Unfortunately I was "reading" a book down on the promenade deck and slept through it. DW made it and thought it was great.

We had a great time and I will write a review in the next few days when I have a chance.

To get back to the original topic, Hugh (formerly known as scottishvirgincruisers) posted to the 24 June roll call that they thought they saw the Grandeur sailing past the Bay Bridge about 8:30 PM as they were flying home out of BWI. I would suspect they had the repair parts flown in to Baltimore and would be able to repair it while underway. Looking forward to see what the folks onboard have to say when they return.

My fiance and I live in Chesapeake Harbor, which is just south of Annapolis, right on the bay. We always watch GOS leave in the evenings (Fridays and Sundays, very cool to see it go under the Bay bridge) but we don't get up early enough to see it come into port. We were quite surprised to be sitting at the pool on Sunday around 11am to see the ship coming up the bay. We couldn't figure it out. Mystery now solved. Thanks.

Mark & Janet

Fay: Sorry you had such a bad time> My Dw & I were on the Granduer the week of Easter. NO problems to speak of at all. DW did get sea sick on Easter Sunday, but other than that we had a wonderful time on the cruise.

I have found that being less negative and moree positive about things put things into a nice perspective. Also, as a previous message stated, a word to either the head waiter of maitre'd and you would been placed at a table.

Archived