Dave's Live from Eurodam Trans-Atlantic, Aug. 27 - Sept. 12, 2013

RetiredMustang

Fri., Sept. 6, 2013, Nanortalik (Cont.)

We sailed from Nanortalik around 1 p.m. Jon Sigurdsson is still with us. He was to have caught a helicopter in Nanortalik to somewhere else, Nuuk I believe, to catch a flight home to Reykjavik. But, the weather prevented the helicopter flight, and the next scheduled on in a few days was also dicey, so Jon is riding with us to St. John’s to catch flight(s) home from there.

He and Ian started a scenic cruising narration on the way out of Nanortalik, but soon abandoned it, because the fog closed in until visibility was not much – there is not much point narrating a scenic passage containing nothing visible but fog. The fog lifted later in the afternoon, but the skies remained overcast.

We relaxed for the afternoon before dinner. Here are the menus:

6Sep13_dinner_menu.JPG

6Sep13_dessert_menu.JPG

I had the whiskey-glazed ribs:

Whiskey-glazed_barbeque_pork_ribs.JPG

And for dessert, the deep-dish apple tart. When I tasted it, I remarked to DW that it was missing something – I had forgotten to ask for a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It still was very good.

Deep-dish_apple_tart.JPG

More later,

Dave

Saturday, September 7, 2013, at sea

Today is when we start shifting our thinking to Canada; in fact, we set our clocks back a half hour last night in preparation for visiting Newfoundland. We have been in both St. John’s and Halifax before, but enjoy those cities and are looking forward to visiting again. Dr. Cooper gives another talk on the early European explorers of Canada this afternoon. Here is today’s program:

7Sep13_program_1.JPG

7Sep13_program_2.JPG

More later,

Dave

Can someone explain to me why on the dinner menu the main part of the dinner is sometimes called "main course" en sometimes "entree", like on the Le Cirque diner menu. To me the main part is always the main course , and the starter is always the "entree". This is how we define these parts of the meal in Europe.

Can someone explain to me why on the dinner menu the main part of the dinner is sometimes called "main course" en sometimes "entree", like on the Le Cirque diner menu. To me the main part is always the main course , and the starter is always the "entree". This is how we define these parts of the meal in Europe.
Wikipedia says:

In North American English, the term is instead used to describe the main course, due to the disappearance in the early 20th century of a large communal main course such as a roast as a standard part of the meal in the English-speaking world. This use of the term is unusual (but not unheard of) outside North America, as most other English speakers follow the original French usage, generally considering the word "entrée" to mean a first course.[1][4][5][6]

I’ve been taking photos of various things, and will post some them now and then. This post is about wine.

Wine list

Here, in two parts, is the regular wine list available on Eurodam in September 2013 at the bars and in the MDR (15% service charge added to these prices):

wine_list_1.JPG

wine_list_2.JPG

Wine packages

Here are the current wine packages on Eurodam September 2013 (15% service charge added to these prices)

Navigator’s Choice: 3 bottles $89; 5 bottles $149; 7 bottles $199

Admiral’s Choice: 3 bottles $118; 5 bottles $199; 7 bottles $269

Here are the choices:

Wine_package_choices.JPG

More later,

Dave

Bar menu

The regular bar menu is below in ten images. The Lido and Silk Den also have special insert pages, and I will include those as well. The Ocean and Atrium bar menus don't have inserts.

Bar menu 1

bar_menu_1.JPG

Bar menu 2

bar_menu_2.JPG

Bar menu 3

bar_menu_3.JPG

Bar menu 4

bar_menu_4.JPG

More in the next post,

Dave

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Well, we have arrived on board. The bus took about 10 minutes to get us there. We went into the reception hall, and a rep went through asking for 4 and 5 star Mariners. We identified ourselves, and she took us to the front to the expedited check in line. We filled out our medical form while waiting.

We quickly checked in, were given an early boarding number, and waited about 3 minutes before that number was called. We were on board and in our room very quickly.

We have had time to get a bite to eat, and get a celebratory drink at Crow's Nest. We went back to the cabin, and our bags were here. So, DW is unpacking while I am helping by staying out of her way (no kidding, her idea). So, I established the online account and am checking in.

I will add much more later, but just wanted to post a quick update.

Attached are photos of the daily program. If these are not readable, let me know and I will put fewer pages on each photo. The program is the new trifold style.

Aug27program1_zpsd6a2d70f.jpg

Aug27program2_zps53db9427.jpg

More later,

Dave

Well, I thought if I cleaned out my browser and try again later I could see the photos. Nope. Darn it. The funny thing is that I can see everyone else's photos cruise critic. Darn it again. We will be on Eurodam Oct. 12 Quebec City so thought this would be a good way to see what is going on. I will continue reading though. Thanks, Shirley sheartland@aol.com

Thank you for taking the time to post. I love reading other people's reviews. I am having a hard time reading the daily programs but it could be a me problem and not you. Anyone else having a hard time reading them.

I love the pictures of Amsterdam. Last time we were there was for a layover, I wish I had taken the time to leave the airport.

Interesting---I can read everything--at least, so far--but no photos. Shirley

Well, I thought if I cleaned out my browser and try again later I could see the photos. Nope. Darn it. The funny thing is that I can see everyone else's photos cruise critic. Darn it again. We will be on Eurodam Oct. 12 Quebec City so thought this would be a good way to see what is going on. I will continue reading though. Thanks, Shirley sheartland@aol.com

Are you signed up for the Meet and Greet - I think we are at about 62 cruisers now.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1657934

Monday, September 2, 2013, Reykjavik

Well, the weather improved overnight, and we pulled into Reykjavik in a mix of sun and clouds, with occasional rain showers. Not too bad, and I hope it continues. We are in port with the Ariania.

We depart soon for our city tour, and I will let you know how that goes. Here are today’s daily program.

2Sep13_program_1.JPG

2Sep13_program_2.JPG

And the Reykjavik prt guide:

Reykjavik_port_guide_1.JPG

Reykjavik_port_guide_2.JPG

More later,

Dave

Are you signed up for the Meet and Greet - I think we are at about 62 cruisers now.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1657934

Dave, thank you again for the narrative. It has to be so expensive. HAL should be giving you a free account for PRing the ship and activities.

Pat M, I have been on roll call and I assume we are on the meet and greet. I have the info of where we are meeting and such. We will see you there. Shirley

Sat., Sept. 7, 2013, at sea (Cont.)

The seas have not been too rough today, and although the skies were overcast, it has not rained. But we have been sailing into a headwind of about 30 mph all day. The Captain in his afternoon announcements said that might make us a bit late into St. John’s, although he would try to make it on time.

Here are tonight’s dinner menus:

7Sep13_dinner_menu.JPG

7Sep13_dessert_menu.JPG

I had the scallops and clams pasta:

Scallops_and_clams_pasta.JPG

For dessert, I had the raspberry sorbet, but that makes for a boring photo. DW, however, had the whoopee pie and let me take a photo:

Whoopie_pie.JPG

More later,

Dave

Dave, would you mind poking around to see if Dr. Cooper will stay onboard during the Cabada/NE 10 day trips? Might not be possible but we have met him and enjoy him quite a bit (and sail in two weeks).

I checked with Ian, the travel advisor, and he said Dr. Cooper would leave the ship in New York and would not be aboard for the trip to Quebec/back.

Dave