QM2 2015 World Voyage, same old same old

cruiser101101

Queen Mary 2's 2015 world voyage is not particularly exciting. Cunard has basically copied and pasted this year's one with a few new destinations.

I am an avid QM2 fan, however I am a bit disappointed with this itinerary.

What's your opinion?

I agree, someone should make new countries and destinations for Cunard's ships to go to. It's another sign of the dumbing down! :) More seriously, I think that they could do 2 world voyages and have the ships meet up in a few places so that passengers could trans-ship between them to do more and see more.

Queen Mary 2's 2015 world voyage is not particularly exciting. Cunard has basically copied and pasted this year's one with a few new destinations. I am an avid QM2 fan, however I am a bit disappointed with this itinerary. What's your opinion?
Hi cruiser101101,

I realise there will be many "repeat" World Cruise passengers, on the same ship each year (not just on QM2 of course, but on many other vessels as well), but surely it is not the same 2,600 passengers on QM2 every year? And if not, and she is carrying one or two "newbies" (new to both QM2 and/or world cruising), then many of the ports could be new to them, even if familiar to other passengers.

Added to which, many "repeat" passengers will have favourite ports or cities from previous voyages, and are looking forward to seeing them again. I've found that I cannot "do" every attraction that a major port or city can contain in the few brief hours allowed during one visit, on the cruises I've done, and look forward to going back to see more of certain spots. We all have our own list of "must-see" places around the globe.

Added to which, if QM2 calls somewhere that you feel you have exhausted, then you do have the option of spending the day on board of course.

That is my opinion (as someone who has yet to do a world cruise), as you asked for it :) .

All best wishes, and if you book the world voyage, I hope you have the very best of times :) .

... More seriously, I think that they could do 2 world voyages and have the ships meet up in a few places so that passengers could trans-ship between them to do more and see more.
And no need to limit such transfers to World Cruise itineraries, I'd like to see many more opportunities like next spring's QM2/QV combination: 16 May 2014 QM2 leaves New York, 23 May arrives in Southampton where passengers may transfer to Queen Victoria for a British Isles circumnavigation, 5 June QV returns to Southampton where passengers transfer back to QM2 for the crossing home.

It's true that the world ain't big enough. QM2 though is at times too big. Can't go through the most exciting canal, can't visit many ports without tendering. And anyone who has experienced tendering from a big ship will understand the problem.

So the answer is do a world cruise on a smaller ship. Many would not be very happy with that.

Ah well back to Soknha.

David.

And no need to limit such transfers to World Cruise itineraries, I'd like to see many more opportunities like next spring's QM2/QV combination: 16 May 2014 QM2 leaves New York, 23 May arrives in Southampton where passengers may transfer to Queen Victoria for a British Isles circumnavigation, 5 June QV returns to Southampton where passengers transfer back to QM2 for the crossing home.

There's a chance for New Yorkers to do a B2B - sort of. Apr 25-May 3 EB on the Victoria and May 3-10 WB on the Mary.

It's true that the world ain't big enough. QM2 though is at times too big. Can't go through the most exciting canal, can't visit many ports without tendering. And anyone who has experienced tendering from a big ship will understand the problem.

So the answer is do a world cruise on a smaller ship. Many would not be very happy with that.

Ah well back to Soknha.

David.

:) How dare you be critical of the flagship!! ;)

Queen Mary 2's 2015 world voyage is not particularly exciting. Cunard has basically copied and pasted this year's one with a few new destinations.

I am an avid QM2 fan, however I am a bit disappointed with this itinerary.

What's your opinion?

When I read Balf's reply I thought he made an excellent point and one I agree with but if you look at the 2015 cruise for the queen Elizabeth, it is also similar to the 2014 itinerary and that ship can certainly visit other locations ;)

Please note the smilies

Cunard has made it quite clear that they are working to attract a new demographic of younger passengers. So, even if the itinerary is old to some repeat passengers, it will be fresh to the new passengers - you know, that young professional set who have the time and resources to take a World Cruise. -S.

The 2015 WC voyage itineraries are quite uninspiring.

We are taking a crossing and the first segment from SOU to Cape Town in 2014. We did the same itinerary in 2012. The appeal is that its a beautiful way to travel during our harsh winter and to disembark in a beautiful country in southern hemisphere summer and spend time there before flying home.

The QM2 2015 WC start is a copy of this years with a trip through the Med to Dubai which holds no appeal for us. In 2015 QM2 will have alternated just 2 WC starting segments for 4 years.

We'd love to see a repeat of previous QM2 itineraries like the one had the WC start in New York and stop in Barbados and Brazil before heading on to Cape Town. Or the QM2 WC voyage that went around Cape Horn.

The most glaring omission in all 3 ships WC 2015 voyages is the entire continent of South America. It is unbelievable that Cunard can't have one of the ships spend time visiting that beautiful continent. There is a segment in 2014 from Valparaiso to Sydney which looks very interesting. And, judging by Cunard's pricing of it, it must have some popularity.

A little more imagination in developing these voyage itineraries would be welcome. We will either undertake a land only winter holiday in 2015 or we'll find another cruise line to use.

That situation [QM2 too big for the Panama Canal] is supposed to be resolved once the expansion project is completed.
Sadly no. The new locks certainly will be wide enough and long enough to fit QM2, but unfortunately the high tide clearance under the Bridge of the Americas (it crosses the Pacific approach to the Canal) is 201 feet while QM2 is 203 feet from waterline to top of funnel. By comparison, the Verrazano Bridge clearance is 228 feet.

The most glaring omission in all 3 ships WC 2015 voyages is the entire continent of South America. It is unbelievable that Cunard can't have one of the ships spend time visiting that beautiful continent.

Hopefully you do not object to my just highlighting this part of your post and although we are not privy to the reasons why South America is being omitted, I for one congratulate Cunard for not visiting that beautiful part of the World.

Both Cunard and P&O were a part of the force that removed Argentine forces from the Falkland Islands and sadly the Cunard ship Atlantic Conveyor was lost along with a number of her crew. To me this conflict took place last century, it was fought by brave young men and just like all conflicts, lives were lost but Argentina is still carrying on with this dispute and has banned any cruise ships from its territorial waters if they visit the Falkland Islands.

During the Question and Answer session Mr Shanks pointed out that when itineraries were being prepared, political issues have to be taken into account and clearly this is one such example. If either cruise company were to visit South America, then do they have a moral duty to pay their respects to those brave sailors who still man the Atlantic Conveyor.

If Argentina were to lift this silly stipulation then would P&O and Cunard start going back to South America? I accept the Falkland Islands are prone to strong winds and adverse conditions but the ships can still visit that area and hopefully listen to the expert speakers that could inform us all about those events that took place during that period and at the very least, wreaths could be placed above that war grave.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.At the going down of the sun and in the morning,We will remember them.

I would love to visit the South American Continent, including Argentina but if I were to venture into that part of the World then it would have to include a visit to the Falklands and if I were to get ashore then it would be a bonus. :)

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.At the going down of the sun and in the morning,We will remember them.

As we always should.

Thank you for posting, glojo.

best regards to you,

seasidegal

edited to include:

Unfortunately, I will never be able to take enough world voyages that repetition of ports will be a problem

me neither....as I've let to do one.

Very well put, scrapnana

Hopefully you do not object to my just highlighting this part of your post and although we are not privy to the reasons why South America is being omitted, I for one congratulate Cunard for not visiting that beautiful part of the World.

Both Cunard and P&O were a part of the force that removed Argentine forces from the Falkland Islands and sadly the Cunard ship Atlantic Conveyor was lost along with a number of her crew. To me this conflict took place last century, it was fought by brave young men and just like all conflicts, lives were lost but Argentina is still carrying on with this dispute and has banned any cruise ships from its territorial waters if they visit the Falkland Islands.

During the Question and Answer session Mr Shanks pointed out that when itineraries were being prepared, political issues have to be taken into account and clearly this is one such example. If either cruise company were to visit South America, then do they have a moral duty to pay their respects to those brave sailors who still man the Atlantic Conveyor.

If Argentina were to lift this silly stipulation then would P&O and Cunard start going back to South America? I accept the Falkland Islands are prone to strong winds and adverse conditions but the ships can still visit that area and hopefully listen to the expert speakers that could inform us all about those events that took place during that period and at the very least, wreaths could be placed above that war grave.

I would love to visit the South American Continent, including Argentina but if I were to venture into that part of the World then it would have to include a visit to the Falklands and if I were to get ashore then it would be a bonus. :)

No problem with you quoting my post but your logic is lost on me.

If you want to boycott Argentina that's fine. But South America is a big continent with lots of beautiful countries in addition to the beautiful country called Argentina.

How far back do you go with boycotts based on past wars? If Cunard is to lead a boycott brigade it would seem logical it should take greatest offence from the sinking of the Lusitania. That would mean a boycott of German ports and, using your logic that Germany is in Europe, maybe Cunard should boycott all of Europe.

If you read my post in its entirety one of the ports I suggested was Valparaiso. If my memory is correct Maggie Thatcher forever supported the tyrant and murderer named Pinochet because he helped during the Malvinas/Falklands war. Why would you congratulate Cunard for not visiting Chile?

No problem with you quoting my post but your logic is lost on me.

If you want to boycott Argentina that's fine. But South America is a big continent with lots of beautiful countries in addition to the beautiful country called Argentina.

How far back do you go with boycotts based on past wars? If Cunard is to lead a boycott brigade it would seem logical it should take greatest offence from the sinking of the Lusitania. That would mean a boycott of German ports and, using your logic that Germany is in Europe, maybe Cunard should boycott all of Europe.

If you read my post in its entirety one of the ports I suggested was Valparaiso. If my memory is correct Maggie Thatcher forever supported the tyrant and murderer named Pinochet because he helped during the Malvinas/Falklands war. Why would you congratulate Cunard for not visiting Chile?

I'm sorry but you have it completely back to front and I most certainly do NOT want to boycott Argentina and I fear you do not understand the stance the Argentine government has taken. The rest of your post sadly is also based on that incorrect stance.

I would suggest you read the words of Mr Shanks regarding this issue and finally my post recognises what a nice continent South America is and I will repost my last sentence so that you can demonstrate where I have suggested Cunard boycott Argentina.

Hopefully I have not accused any leader of being a tyrant and murderer but by crikey I will defend the good name of Baroness Thatcher and what she did for the Falkland islanders. I await your reply regarding my suggesting Cunard boycott any South American country

[quote name= queen Elizabeth' date=' it is also similar to the 2014 itinerary and that ship can certainly visit other locations ;)

Please note the smilies[/quote]

Some, but she is still a big ship.

I was thinking of ships like P&O Adonia which can and does dock in many ports that the big beasts have to avoid.

I think QM2 only really works on crossings. IMO of course.

David

I may be wrong (easily :o ) but I believe that the Maiden World Cruise of QM2 in 2007 (including the " 'round" South America bit) didn't sell well at all.

Far too many sea days with far too few ports, It was heavily discounted, if I remember correctly.

In the South America part there were three ports; Rio de Janeiro, Montevideo, Valparaiso, in twenty-one days.

(Ft Lauderdale to Rio was seven days, Sydney to Hong Kong was also seven days at sea).

I await your reply regarding my suggesting Cunard boycott any South American country

You started your post by congratulating Cunard for not visiting South America. Then you concluded with the suggestion that no visit to South America should occur unless the Falklands were on the itinerary. Sounds an awful lot like a boycott to me.

By the way, Argentina has not banned any ship visiting the Falklands from its territorial waters.

[

Both Cunard and P&O were a part of the force that removed Argentine forces from the Falkland Islands ]

I was aboard QE2 on her first, and I think only visit to the Falklands after the war.

A passenger who was also a collector of QE2 artefacts brought the original flag that was flown by the ship at the time. The captain allowed it to be flown for the visit.

David.

Some, but she is still a big ship.

I was thinking of ships like P&O Adonia which can and does dock in many ports that the big beasts have to avoid.

I think QM2 only really works on crossings. IMO of course.

David

I do agree David but with size comes stability and maybe a few extra creature comforts???

I am in your corner regarding this and have always suggested that for me and only me... The Vista class is as big as I want to go solely because of the limitations we are talking about.

How far up the Amazon do ships from the Silverseas company manage to get?

Here in South Devon the last Cunard ship to pay us a visit was the QE2 and the duration of her short visit was determined by the tide. When I went alongside that ship she had approximately SIX feet of water under her keel.:eek: No way would I have been able to walk under her keelandn uncharted obstruction could have easily spoilt her day :(

Twice to my knowledge the QM2 has had to disembark a passenger\passengers here at Torbay and on eacoccasionon she has to 'park' a considerabldistancece offshore and await either a pilot or lifeboat to steam out to the ship. I wonder just how many ports in the UK these huge ships can actually come alongside?

SEFlyer

You have clearly not read the posts from the ex President of Cunard regarding this issue and you clearly have your opinion about Argentina not putting pressure on the cruise industry and I have mine. As I keep saying, I have not at any point suggested a boycott per se.

To clarify my stance.. I congratulate Cunard for not giving in to intimidation No where but nowhere have I said do not go to Argentina.. I have however suggested that Cunard and P&O should not visit that country until the ban is lifted. I just believe it totally wrong that one country can dictate where in the World a foreign flagged ship may or may not visit. Argentina is a beautiful country and certainly one I would love to visit but again I will emphasis that if I were going to South America then for me it would have to include the Falkland Islands. (I accept not everyone wants to see that very bleak location) :)

This ban was instigated by Argentina not the Carnival Group or any other cruise company. Argentina has I believe applied it mainly to merchant vessels but contrary to your claim cruise ships are also being effected.

You claim there is no ban so I guess you should inform the Argentine government and the cruise industry.

Cruise ship tourism and indeed tourism in general is the Falkland Islands’ second-largest industry. It involves a huge number of people and is a huge contributor to the local economy,” said Samantha March, tourism coordinator at Sulivan Shipping Services, the port agency for cruise vessels in the capital, Stanley. The industry is highly vulnerable to the high winds that plague the islands in the summer months, but the loss of cruise ships for other reasons “has been felt keenly by everyone,” she said.

‘Violent Acts Of Intimidation’

Most of the incidents scaring off the cruise ships have apparently been incited by Argentina or political forces in the country, although the government denies it.

In February, P&O Cruises' Adonia and Princess Cruises' Star Princess, both owned by Miami-based Carnival Corp., were refused entry at the Argentine port of Ushuaia because they had previously visited the Falkland Islands and bared British flags.

And on Nov. 19, the radical left-wing Quebracho group attacked the Buenos Aires offices of the Argentine Shipping Services, an agent for cruise companies. Because of the incident, AIDA Cruises’ 1,186-passenger AIDAcara cancelled its visit to the Falkland Islands. The British Foreign Office, or FCO, labeled the attack a “violent act of intimidation.”

“It is shameful that elements within a large country like Argentina should seek to strangle the economy of a small group of islands. Such action benefits nobody and only condemns those who lend it support,” the FCO said in a statement.

British officials believe Argentina has contacted cruise companies and other firms in an attempt to pressure them out of doing business with the Falkland Islands***, lest they be refused access to Argentine ports.

The Falkland Islands government has also condemned Argentina for bullying and threatening its people.

***Confirmed by Mr Shanks on this forum

I think we have both had our say regarding this issue and I doubt we will ever agree but perhaps one day we might meet up in a bar in Argentina and shoot the breeze regarding these issues.

Glojo, I am aware of the intimidation efforts of the Quebracho group in Buenos Aires and Ushuaia and I'm aware their excessive tactics have caused a number of cruise cancellations.

But their 'success' in cancelling a few cruises doesn't mean "Argentina....has banned any cruise ships from its territorial waters if they visit the Falkland Islands" as you posted. There are all kinds of cruise lines with itineraries for the coming season which include both Port Stanley and ports in Argentina.

I return to my original point that Cunard's avoidance of all of South America for any of its 2015 WC segments is disappointing to say the least.

Glojo, I would be delighted to buy you a nice glass or bottle of Malbec in a bar in Argentina. We were there for 6 weeks in January and February this year. There is a very good chance we'll be back there in the same months in 2015. Argentina is a beautiful country and it's summer is infinitely more pleasant than Canadian winter.

Archived