QM2 2015 World Voyage, same old same old

cruiser101101

QM2 definitely won't fit under the Bridge of the Americas. ...

There may yet be hope. In the spring of 2013 the Wind Star, whose masts top out at 204 feet, passed under the Bridge of the Americas. At least this article claims so.

There may yet be hope. In the spring of 2013 the Wind Star, whose masts top out at 204 feet, passed under the Bridge of the Americas. At least this article claims so.

Not sure I'm willing to trust a blog on something called 'guy magazine' just yet. As Sam Seaborn says: don't bring it to him unless you've got at least three sources.

Damn I love that show.

Hi, Louise D,

How right you are, as always. I'll have to make do with something less than a true circumnavigation of the globe, if choosing the QM2 .

You'd invite me and my camera up to that lofty pinnacle? You’d save me from further embarrassment and greater humiliation? (It so degrading, standing at the back of the lift, trying to look inconspicuous, as it rises towards those Olympian heights, when passengers in front, heading for that rarefied atmosphere, turn as one as the doors open on Deck 9 and say in unison, loud and clear “We think this is YOUR stop” . So undignified when using the stairs, ignoring the sign that says “No rowers beyond this point. This means YOU”, to be picked up by two crew and thrown head first back down those same stairs onto the Deck 9 Lobby carpet (which mercifully provides a soft landing). I've forgotten the number of times Grill passengers have elegantly stepped over my prone carcass, "tut-tutting" as they go to dinner :o ).

Now you’ve added further temptation into the Jan ‘14 QE mix… :)

All best wishes Louise D, thank you

Hello Pepper - you do paint a rather shocking picture of the attitude of some on board QE, both passengers and crew. However, it is clear that you have not sailed on QE when the Fashion Police are on board, and where our rules prevail. I can assure you that if you were on QE in January, you would not find yourself in the above predicament.

Consider it done Pepper. :D

To ensure your unimpeded entry into the rarified air of the Grills, the Fashion Police would be delighted to issue you with a personalised invitation to afternoon tea.

Nothing too elaborate, something along these lines:

The Social Hostess is commanded by

the Fashion Police to invite

pepperrn

to afternoon tea in the Grills lounge on the 16th January 2014 :)

I second that. So nice to see that the Fashion Police are unanimous on this issue. :D

Originally Posted by Whitemarsh viewpost.gif

Consider it done Pepper.

To ensure your unimpeded entry into the rarified air of the Grills, the Fashion Police would be delighted to issue you with a personalised invitation to afternoon tea.

pepperrn

to afternoon tea in the Grills lounge on the 16th January 2014

Hello Pepper - you do paint a rather shocking picture of the attitude of some on board QE, both passengers and crew. However, it is clear that you have not sailed on QE when the Fashion Police are on board, and where our rules prevail. I can assure you that if you were on QE in January, you would not find yourself in the above predicament.

I second that. So nice to see that the Fashion Police are unanimous on this issue.

:eek:

Pepper:

Two personal invites from the Fashion Police. I do believe that is a first

on this forum! ;) (and in such nice big and blue letters :-) They must

have seen you in your Tux to know you will past Grill Certified Status with

flying colours!

"To ensure your unimpeded entry into the rarified air of the Grills"....

You have arrived, pepper! (just please do not let it go to your head and become one of those often talked about but very seldom witnessed Cunard Snobs...:eek:)

Break out the Pol Acker...this calls for a toast. :D

To think we knew you when you were 'just one of us'.;)

best regards from Deck Rowing,

Mr. and Mrs. Seasidegal

Originally Posted by Whitemarsh viewpost.gif

Consider it done Pepper.

pepperrn

to afternoon tea in the Grills lounge on the 16th January 2014

:eek:

Pepper:

Two personal invites from the Fashion Police. I do believe that is a first

on this forum! ;) (and in such nice big and blue letters :-) They must

have seen you in your Tux to know you will past Grill Certified Status with

flying colours!

"To ensure your unimpeded entry into the rarified air of the Grills"....

You have arrived, pepper! (just please do not let it go to your head and become one of those often talked about but very seldom witnessed Cunard Snobs...:eek:)

Break out the Pol Acker...this calls for a toast.

To think we knew you when you were 'just one of us'.

best regards from Deck Rowing,

Mr. and Mrs. Seasidegal

I don't think Pepper is in danger of being transformed into a snob by association. In fact, one of the governing charters of the FP is to avoid snobs, because it is a universal truth that snobs are too wrapped up in themselves, don't make fun companions and really don't know how to have a good time. :)

I don't think Pepper is in danger of being transformed into a snob by association. In fact, one of the governing charters of the FP is to avoid snobs, because it is a universal truth that snobs are too wrapped up in themselves, don't make fun companions and really don't know how to have a good time. :)

Louise, Yves Saint Laurent agrees:

"We must never confuse elegance with snobbery."

:D

best regards to you,

seasidegal

Hi Whitemarsh, Louise D & seasidegal! :)

Well, I must say I am honoured to receive an invitation from the exalted and noble FP…

…Consider it done Pepper… The Social Hostess is commanded by the Fashion Police to invite pepperrn to afternoon tea in the Grills lounge on the 16th January 2014
Whilst I admit that I hadn’t previously considered a crossing on QE in January (am looking at an earlier QM2 crossing), the Vantage fare prices are very good for this “start of the world cruise” voyage… and getaway fares should be even better… ummmmm…
… I second that. So nice to see that the Fashion Police are unanimous on this issue.
To get such an invitation delivered to my bank of oars (even Charlton Heston (number 41) would be jealous) would be an honour beyond words.
Pepper:…They must have seen you in your Tux to know you will past Grill Certified Status with flying colours!
Well, one has to leave the galley-rowing loincloth behind and change into suitable clothing before meeting one’s betters.
…just please do not let it go to your head and become one of those often talked about but very seldom witnessed Cunard Snobs
I have had drinkies and canapé in the Queens Grill Lounge on QE2 (knew how to behave, don‘t speak unless spoken to; it was on QE2 after all... (may her name be forever praised :rolleyes: ), and that didn’t change me, afterwards I went back to rowing those grand people about, ever so ’umble like.
LOL. Yes, often talked about.
Oh yes, according to some, Cunard ships are packed with snobs from bilges to Regatta Bar. I think it is these people who are the (reverse) snobs (with badly-disguised inferiority complex).
…one of the governing charters of the FP is to avoid snobs, because it is a universal truth that snobs are too wrapped up in themselves, don't make fun companions and really don't know how to have a good time.
I couldn’t agree more! Well said.

I really will look at this crossing, one or two personal things to consider, but it would be wonderful to cross on QE (not something I’ve done yet) and to have the rare honour and privilege to meet the FP in person… well, all I can say is…

Thank you, thank you. :o

(A grateful and embarrassed… :o

I really will look at this crossing, one or two personal things to consider, but it would be wonderful to cross on QE (not something I’ve done yet) and to have the rare honour and privilege to meet the FP in person… well, all I can say is…

I definitely think that a winter crossing on QE is an experience that we should all do at least once, as the ship will likely be put through her paces. You can do multiple crossings on QM2 during the year, but the QE crossings are much less frequent. Hope to see you on board.

I definitely think that a winter crossing on QE is an experience that we should all do at least once, as the ship will likely be put through her paces.
Well, one crossing on the mighty QM2 in mid December was lumpy and "lively" :eek: , so a crossing on the Queen Elizabeth in January might be... "interesting" :eek: :eek: .

Thank you Louise D :) .

I definitely think that a winter crossing on QE is an experience that we should all do at least once, as the ship will likely be put through her paces. You can do multiple crossings on QM2 during the year, but the QE crossings are much less frequent. Hope to see you on board.

Pepper, you should also consider a Panama Canal transit on the QE. ;)

Queen Mary 2

Height: 236.2 ft (72.0 m) keel to (top of) funnel

Draught: 33 ft (10.1 m)

(Wikipedia)

So, the distance from the waterline to top of the funnel is 236.2 - 33 = 203.2 feet.

Bridge of the Americas, Panama City, Panama

Clearance: 61.3 m (201 ft) at high tide

(Wikipedia)

I haven't been able to find tide tables for Panama City, Panama, but twenty foot tides do occur along the Pacific coast of Panama. So, it's possible that QM2 could get under the Bridge of the Americas at low tide. Don't know that Lloyds of London would approve though.

About the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge:

The double-decked, six-lane-wide roadway, 228 ft above mean high water at midpoint, ... (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/626396/Verrazano-Narrows-Bridge)

Seasonal contractions and expansions of the steel cables cause the double-decked roadway to be 12 feet lower in the summer than in the winter. (http://www.mta.info/bandt/html/veraz.html)

If the Queen Mary 2 were to sail under [the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge] at high tide, the clearance would be only 13 feet. ... (The New York Times, April 18, 2004)

It is interesting and I am keeping an open mind on the subject, especially as the geezer that designed the ship believes it will indeed navigate through the canal.

Well, one crossing on the mighty QM2 in mid December was lumpy and "lively" :eek: , so a crossing on the Queen Elizabeth in January might be... "interesting" :eek: :eek: .

Thank you Louise D :) .

Yes, but think of the opportunity for some great pictures! :D

"I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and sky;

and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

The QE is a tall ship and you don't even need to steer her. ;)

Happy days are sailing days, eh?

seasidegal

Queen Mary 2's 2015 world voyage is not particularly exciting. Cunard has basically copied and pasted this year's one with a few new destinations.

I am an avid QM2 fan, however I am a bit disappointed with this itinerary.

What's your opinion?

Well, I would love to do some of it, but don't think it will be happening for a while. It would be interesting to know how many passengers on the world cruise are repeat passengers. With 3Cunard ships there seems to be plenty to choose from. I would happily do any of them, or part of any one of them, as I think 3months at sea may be a bit too long.

Sweby

• 3 weeks later...
I have read a number of posts regarding the queen Mary 2 being capable of using the Panama Canal once the locks have been widened but I have also read posts that hight the problems that surround navigating under a bridge?

Are we all 100% certain that the Queen Mary is indeed unable to clear this obstacle?

I don't like these extended cruises being described as a 'World Cruise' as to me a World cruise should circumnavigate the globe. I accept Cunard have a different opinion but when we were looking to book our cruise it was confusing to find that two out of the three World Cruises were not doing a circumnavigation.

Yes, according to Stephen Payne the QM2 will fit under the Bridge of Americas. He's answering questions today.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1913378

With an air-draught of 62 metres she will easily fit under The Bridge of the Americas which is 117 metres above the water level.

There's a chance for New Yorkers to do a B2B - sort of. Apr 25-May 3 EB on the Victoria and May 3-10 WB on the Mary.
Interesting ,since there isn't B2B from NY on the QM2.

This would mean one would have to disembark in Southampton and then board the QM2. I suppose one would have to carry luggage ,and look for some sort of transfer from one ship to other.

I haven't seen any announcement from Cunard about this B2B.

It may work

Interesting ,since there isn't B2B from NY on the QM2.

This would mean one would have to disembark in Southampton and then board the QM2. I suppose one would have to carry luggage ,and look for some sort of transfer from one ship to other.

I haven't seen any announcement from Cunard about this B2B.

It may work

Speaking from personal experience, to transfer from one Cunard ship to another merely requires you to pack your own suitcase the night before disembarking the first ship and board the transfer bus to the second ship.

Speaking from personal experience, to transfer from one Cunard ship to another merely requires you to pack your own suitcase the night before disembarking the first ship and board the transfer bus to the second ship.

Hi, that sounds easy.The Cunard ships are close to each other in the port of of Southampton

Thanks,

Archived