First time on RC FOS and in a Balcony

roger75

As a Christmas/Birthday Present for my mother, I am taking the "family" (my mom, her husband, my partner and myself) on our first RC cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. My mom has never been on a cruise and I have only been on Princess once before - over 7 years ago. I have always heard good things about Royal Caribbean and wanted to give mom the best cruise I could afford, so FOS seemed to fit the ticket. Originally booked adjoining Ocean View Cabins back in January at (I think) a pretty good price. After constantly monitoring the prices to see if I could upgrade at a reasonable rate I got super lucky this past weekend and upgraded to balcony rooms side by side for only $140 per cabin! We leave in less than 3 weeks and the excitement just got even worse with the upgrade.

Hopefully we'll be able to joing our balconies (I believe that I've read this is possible sometimes) and we won't have any hurricane weather related issues. I have to say I was not a huge fan of cruising after doing the Caribbean Princess, but I think that has to do with the age-demographics on that particular voyage. It was a much older crowd than myself and my partner at the time. I think RC will be more mixed and the ship gets nothing but great reviews.

At any rate - I also just need to thank the members of this forum as I have been reading it religiously every night to get ideas on what to do on the ship and in port.

Can't wait to report back in after the trip!

As a Christmas/Birthday Present for my mother, I am taking the "family" (my mom, her husband, my partner and myself) on our first RC cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. My mom has never been on a cruise and I have only been on Princess once before - over 7 years ago. I have always heard good things about Royal Caribbean and wanted to give mom the best cruise I could afford, so FOS seemed to fit the ticket. Originally booked adjoining Ocean View Cabins back in January at (I think) a pretty good price. After constantly monitoring the prices to see if I could upgrade at a reasonable rate I got super lucky this past weekend and upgraded to balcony rooms side by side for only $140 per cabin! We leave in less than 3 weeks and the excitement just got even worse with the upgrade.

Hopefully we'll be able to joing our balconies (I believe that I've read this is possible sometimes) and we won't have any hurricane weather related issues. I have to say I was not a huge fan of cruising after doing the Caribbean Princess, but I think that has to do with the age-demographics on that particular voyage. It was a much older crowd than myself and my partner at the time. I think RC will be more mixed and the ship gets nothing but great reviews.

At any rate - I also just need to thank the members of this forum as I have been reading it religiously every night to get ideas on what to do on the ship and in port.

Can't wait to report back in after the trip!

I'm sure you will enjoy this cruise! I have been cruising for years and the ONLY cruise I didn't care for was on the Caribbean Princess. That's not to say we didn't make the best of it, but I agree with your comments. Have a great trip!

What a great Christmas/birthday present for your mom!!!!!! And I can assure you, you and every other member of your family will have a fabulous time on the Freedom of the Seas! What great choices you've made - a wonderful ship and great cabins!

If I'm not mistaken, I'll be getting off the Freedom the same day you guys will be boarding her! I'll leave her in good shape for you!

Have a great cruise! And be sure to tell the dining room staff about your mom's birthday...they'll present her with a special slice of cake and will sing Happy Birthday to her!

If there are any questions I can answer for you regarding the Freedom or cruising in general, just let me know!

(PS. remember not to leave your balcony doors open, unless you are going in or out. Leaving the door open can shut off your air conditioning! And take a few clothespins with you to fasten wet bathing suits/towels, etc. to your balcony chairs...that way the stuff won't blow away!)

Archived