Live from the AMACerto

beechfor

I have to interject here to give a raving review for the Marriott Millennium Court. We actually stayed there June 1-3 at the conclusion of our river cruise. We were sad to leave our comfortable cabins aboard AmaDolce, that is until we saw our rooms at the Marriott! They were so spacious and comfortable! It was like moving into a mansion after being on the river boat! The front desk ladies were also wonderful. There was no "concierge" per se, but they made dinner reservations for us and gave us advice when we asked. The hotel is very close to a stop on the blue line, and one on the yellow line, as well as the #2 tram. It is so close to where the AmaDolce docked we actually took two trips (walking) from the boat to the hotel to bring my Grandparents bags for them. It took us less than an hour to walk to and from the hotel twice, and check-in! And it was so affordable we couldn't believe the price. Four of us shared the two-bedroom apartment and it was around $50 per person, per night. Can't beat that!

Thanks for reviewing this place...my husband is worried, he asks, "why is it so much less?" I tell him it's the stuff we don't use that it doesn't have. I have both Marriotts booked now, I'm the practical one thinking this is a huge savings and gets great reviews. He's the romantic who says we should spend the extra to have the view for our "romantic a anniversary trip" , plus we can get a regular room and use the lounge because he's got Gold status with Marriott. But when I plan another trip, he'll say "but that last trip was so expensive":rolleyes: So what can I do? I will hold both and we will continue to debate it! Usually I'm willing to pay big bucks for a premium location especially of its the only game in town, but the Millennium seems to offer that premium location for a LOT less!

We are interested in food and wine and opt for those tours most of the time.

We found the bike tours had high participation on our cruises where there was a larger number of 30-50 somethings. The wine theme cruises and Christmas market cruises skewed younger, which we enjoyed.

We walked from Marriott Executive Apartments to the boat with our luggage. Some older folks in our group took a taxi, which was a short ride. Your documents will have the address where the boat is docked and we actually took a walk that morning to check out the location and decide if we wanted to walk.

We're doing an AMA wine cruise so interesting to know it tends to attract a younger demographic. Not sure we will have much in common with the 30 somethings nor they with us. We have always enjoyed meeting new people when cruising but this is because those new friends have been in our age group so lots of shared experiences. On a large ship it's easy to meet up with passengers of all ages depending on your preference but not sure how that will work out on a small ship. Anyone else care to comment about their experience on an AMA wine cruise?

We're doing an AMA wine cruise so interesting to know it tends to attract a younger demographic. Not sure we will have much in common with the 30 somethings nor they with us. We have always enjoyed meeting new people when cruising but this is because those new friends have been in our age group so lots of shared experiences. On a large ship it's easy to meet up with passengers of all ages depending on your preference but not sure how that will work out on a small ship. Anyone else care to comment about their experience on an AMA wine cruise?

The wine cruise we were on was hosted by a California vineyard and some of their wine club members were aboard. Most were in their 40s with some in their 30s and 50s. There were about 20 total so certainly not the majority. It was nice that the lounge was lively after midnight as we enjoy staying out after dinner.

We also cruised with AMA Budapest to Prague in 2012 and there was a group from Brazil that was in their 30s and 40s. They were a lot of fun and we enjoyed the energy and diversity.

I would not worry at all about not meeting other guests in your age range.

We are on a wine cruise with AMA in November and look forward to meeting new people with a taste for wine, regardless of age. Common interests are a great basis for conversation.

To those who are on the wine cruise in November - so are we! We might be on the same trip. We are on the Sonata for the November 12 sailing. Although we have done a number of ocean cruises, this is our first river cruise.

If you are on our trip, so nice to meet you!

To those who are on the wine cruise in November - so are we! We might be on the same trip. We are on the Sonata for the November 12 sailing. Although we have done a number of ocean cruises, this is our first river cruise.

If you are on our trip, so nice to meet you!

Yes, we are on that cruise and it will be our first river cruise too! We are doing Prague on our own, staying at The Hilton Old Town and using AMA transfers to Vilshofen. How about you?

We are staying at the Savic Hotel which I've read a lot of good things about and it has a great location. We also are using their transfers,

Are you from Indiana? Just got that from the purduefan. We are from outside of Chicago

We are staying at the Savic Hotel which I've read a lot of good things about and it has a great location. We also are using their transfers,

Are you from Indiana? Just got that from the purduefan. We are from outside of Chicago

No, we are from California but our son is a Purdue graduate. We spent a lot of time in Indiana during the 4 years he was there and my DH I'd a BIG Purdue fan. Seems to get more involved in their teams than his own alma mater, The Univ. of Iowa! we have relatives who live north of Chicago so have visited there several times.

Looking forward to meeting you, perhaps on our way to Vilshofen.

Sharon

I do have one question about your final documents- We are on our own in Budapest so we don't have AMA transfers, how does it describe getting to the boat on embarkation day...is there an address? I'm thinking I will either walk from the Marriott or have the driver we are using for a our. Budapest time get us and drop us off, but I don't have any idea how they express where the actual ship is and I anticipate there will be several!

I'm very anxious to hear from you after your trip, I do hope you'll post a bit about your experience! Have a wonderful time!

The Welcome Aboard Booklet has a ton of information!

In the back section it lists each port and contains docking details, both written directions as well as a clear map.

There is a statement that some ports contain more than one docking area so you should refer to your cruise voucher for the exact address. Docking locations may change without notice. "For guests making their own way to the ship, please contact the ship on your day of your embarkation to verify it's exact location."

Regarding Budapest it says this:

"Docking Area: Mahart - International Passenger Port

Street Address: Belgrad Rakpart

The ship is located on the Pest side betrwwe the Elizabeth Bridge amd the Liberty Bridge"

Hope that is helpful.

I do plan on providing updates during the trip - but knowing how we jam pack our days, I can't promise how frequently or thorough they might be. The good thing is knowing we should have internet most of the time!

Edited by sippican

The Welcome Aboard Booklet has a ton of information!

In the back section it lists each port and contains docking details, both written directions as well as a clear map.

There is a statement that some ports contain more than one docking area so you should refer to your cruise voucher for the exact address. Docking locations may change without notice. "For guests making their own way to the ship, please contact the ship on your day of your embarkation to verify it's exact location."

The ship is located on the Pest side betrwwe the Elizabeth Bridge amd the Liberty Bridge"

Hope that is helpful.

I do plan on providing updates during the trip - but knowing how we jam pack our days, I can't promise how frequently or thorough they might be. The good thing is knowing we should have internet most of the time!

Thank you! Very helpful! I don't usually post much as I sail either, just because it is vacation after all and you want to enjoy it:D But I do like to do a comprehensive review afterwards, because I find reading them so helpful when I am planning.

You must be leaving soon, are you doing some pre days? have a great time, I'll keep an eye out for any posts you can make.

There is also an app called Marine Traffic where you can track the movements of almost any ship, including cruise ships. We used our own transportation to get to the ship so, I used it to see which of 3 possible dock locations in Amsterdam for our AMAPrima Magnificent Europe Cruise in May of last year.

It is fun to see where your future cruise boat is cruising. It does have some limitations, especially when ships are in deeper river canyons, they are not detected but you can see them most of the time. Have a great trip.

That's exactly where we were docked in Budapest last month. We stayed @ the Intercontinental and we could have easily walked. You'll love Budapest.

QUOTE=sippican;43147195]The Welcome Aboard Booklet has a ton of information!

Hope that is helpful.

That's exactly where we were docked in Budapest last month. We stayed @ the Intercontinental and we could have easily walked. You'll love

We will be staying at the Marriott and I just google mapped it, it's 1 km from the Liberty bridge, which means if the AMA uses the similar dock area, between Elizabeth and Liberty bridges, we could easily walk and def will if the weather is good because we take all roller luggage and generally pack pretty lightly!

As for live posting, even with the free wifi, when I do have time to go online it will likely be to viber text our 17 yo who will be home with family. When she went to Spain for two weeks, she viber texted us every night, she likes to keep in touch, and luckily it was free ;)

Edited by Familygoboston