Verandah Cabins with shower only??

PASSENGERES

"Cruise ship cabins" and "generous size"...now there are two concepts I never thought could be applied together!

Thank you for saying that, I am feeling a lot better. Seriously. I really did not do enough homework before booking our upcoming cruise, which is a real rarity for me. I knew HAL has a solid reputation, and we were looking for an affordable option that matched our sailing date requirement, as we could only sail on Nov 2 or 3. I was of the "no bad balcony" mentality and very excited to see bathtubs, so a gty seemed safe. I did NOT go over every deck plan and see that there are a good number of less desirable balcony cabins.

I really don't care about the tub or shower. I won't care if we see lifeboats below us, but I will be disappointed if we wind up with a solid metal railing. If I was tall enough to sit and see over the railing, that wouldn't matter but room service breakfast just wouldn't be the same staring at a metal wall.

But, I will stay optimistic, because we are going on vacation, and I often feel that I have my own good luck charm when I travel. Anything that doesn't involve injury or illness will just add an extra flavour, and quite possibly a different kind of enjoyment.

I've never had a HAL stateroom without a tub - but am considering one on the Maasdam for early 2015. Someone please describe the "shower only". Is it 3 walls with a shower curtain, 3 walls with a glass door, or a curtained-off area with perhaps 1 wall? I'm just leery of water getting all over the floor of the bathroom - with a tub there's no chance of that happening. Thanks in advance!

Sue/WDW1972

DCL Dream 11/10/13

Nieuw Amsterdam 1/5/14

Current SB cabins on the Amsterdam have three walls and a curtain. The shower is about the size of the tub - long rather than square and is quite nice. We love those SB cabins for that reason. Not that big a fan of tubs on ships since the older we get, the harder it is to get in and out.

Someone please describe the "shower only". Is it 3 walls with a shower curtain, 3 walls with a glass door, or a curtained-off area with perhaps 1 wall? I'm just leery of water getting all over the floor of the bathroom - with a tub there's no chance of that happening. Thanks in advance!

I can describe the shower area of the inside cabin on the S- & R-ships for you; Maasdam is an S-ship.

First, It is against the passageway, in the same space as the vanity & sink in an outside cabin. The vanity & sink are where the tub would be in an outside cabin.

There is a lip about 3" high along the open side. That side is not a straight line; it starts near the bathroom door, runs away from the door for maybe 2', then turns toward the wall for about another foot. The shower fixture is on this short side.

The side of the shower that abuts the cabin corridor is probably double the length of the opposite side with the shower fixture. The long side, the side along the ship passageway, is the longest wall, but I hesitate to estimate its length. Maybe 3 1/2'?

There's a double shower curtain with a plastic liner and a cloth curtain. They have weights at the bottom to hold them down.

I probably haven't done the description justice :o, but I hope it's some help.

I also suggest you check out Joanie's pictures. There may be some with adequate pictures of the bathrooms; I've never looked.

Thanks Ruth! It sounds acceptable to me. With a 3.5 inch lip, there shouldn't be any water escaping onto the floor. We had a shower on our last Disney cruise, but were assigned a handicapped stateroom (booked a guarantee) and I wouldn't want something like that! That one had no lip, as it allowed a person to "roll in" on a shower chair.

Sue/WDW1972

DCL Dream 11/10/13

Nieuw Amsterdam 1/5/14

Anyone know whether HAL has shower cubicle only cabins (not bathtub with overhead showers), other than Interiors? We've heard very good things about Interiors but having no natural daylight is a deal breaker for us, and we do love our verandahs. Unfortunately, we can't afford to go to deluxe suites. We'd hate to have to change cruise lines, but it might be necessary if HAL can't accomodate our needs.

Thanks to the advice and information given on this thread, we are happy to have booked a Med cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam, leaving 4 August, 2014 (oh, such a long wait!!) and have a verandah cabin with shower only (VC5171). We are so happy to be able to stay with HAL and this will be our first cruise on the NA. We've loved all the other HAL ships that we have cruised on.

Archived