Chile exit fee

Nebr.cruiser

We are cruising to South America, ending in Valparaiso Chile. Our TA told me that we will need to pay $100 each for an exit fee at the airport in Santiago. While I'm aware of this fee, my understanding was that it was for people flying, not cruising, to Chile.

Does anyone have knowledge of which it is? Of course, we'll be prepared for the fee, but hope it's not needed.

Also, if there is a fee, can it be paid with credit card or dollars or does it need to be Chilean money?

According to everything I've read, and several recent postings on this thread, there is no fee if you are cruising to Chile and debarking there. The fee is imposed when one lands in Chile from an airplane. I questioned my travel agent about this and that is what she told me. We are flying "out" of Santiago, and there is, as far as I know, no "exit" fee. This is just my take on the topic. Cheers. hmh:)

I posted a similar query on Trip Advisor and was told my local there that the fee is only for those arriving by plane. Cruisers are suppose to be exempt. But, of course, rules are constantly changing. . . . I expect there would be an ATM machine at the airport if you need cash quickly.

Thanks everyone. That's exactly what I thought. We booked with a TA from a very large well-known internet agency, so it's kind of strange that she doesn't know this.

Nevertheless, we will be prepared for the fee just in case.

Archived