Review-freedom's just another word for a really decent cruise

JohnGaltny

John,

Great review, although I do miss your stunning photography. Glad you had a good time. We've been on Freedom of the Seas twice and, like you, prefer Explorer.

See you, and Ralph the Homelesss Cruiser, on the waves, soon I hope.

Thanks again everyone. You are making me reconsider my self imposed ban on writing these screeds after each cruise.

lrn2 cruise - I did forget the towel line so much as tried to block it out of my mind. I think the shrinks call it either denial or avoidance but, in New York, we just call it "fuggedaboudit".

Texas, we did get to Cocoa Cay and that was another interesting line to stand in. The tender over to the Cay was easy BUT in the afternoon a storm blew in and the line for a tender BACK to the ship snaked all over the Island. Again, RCI handled it as well as can be done but 35 minutes just to get to the security check seemed a bit excessive.

I also found it funny that people who spent the day in the ocean were apparently afraid of getting wet.:D

Don't stand on the beach directly opposite the end of the runway either when the planes with the tail mounted engines takeoff. We were also at Maho the same day as the OP and saw more than one poor honeymoon couple wanted people to see. They had set up directly opposite the end of the runway and when the large plane with the tail mounted engines took off, everything they brought with them was blown into the surf. The woman chased after it and dove in to get her beach bag but in the process, lost her bikini top:eek: They were able to grab everything, readjust her swimsuit and came up to the Sunset Beach Bar to try to collect themselves and dry off. I let them use our towel from the ship since theirs ended up in the ocean. Unfortunately, two of their cameras and his watch did not survive the swim. We got their email address and are sending them some of our pictures. They were going to see if their memory cards survived once they get home but they might have lost a lot of their pictures from their honeymoon.:( Luckily, they had left a DSLR camera in their cabin on the ship so they were going to replicate some of the pictures they had already taken.

Not sure if I'm a glass half full kinda guy or what but the upside I see in this story is that the bar there at Maho used to have a topless girls drink free policy so........;)

Great review as always "Mr. Galt"!! It is refreshing to read an account that incorporates humor, sarcasm and gasp...personal responsibility!! I believe the world would be better off with more of those things in place:) Thanks for the review and can't wait to be onboard Freedom in 15 days! Take care, Jim

So glad the self imposed ban has been lifted. Tirades against the PC police, the humorless and the non sarcastic are always welcome in my world.

Charmelito!!! Agreed - he was our bartender at the Pool Bar on our Freedom cruise and that was our base camp. He was our BFFAW (Best Friend For A Week). Glad to see he is still entertaining folks. It is people like him that make the cruise experience special.

Thank you all again and welcome to those who joined us in progress.

While I've been asked about my accidental photoshoot, I can't show it or even link to it here. Last time I did the link, a member of SOPO apparently got offended (though not offended enough to not click the thing) and I ended up getting yet another warning 6 months after I posted the review. (my 4th - I think with 5 I get a set of steak knives but I'm not sure).

In a further attempt to help out the readership, here's the recipe for actually seeing the shoot. If this gets me in trouble, so be it.

Step 1. Guys should set aside some oxygen and a beta blocker or two

Step 2. Google Bilsen and Zenfolio.

Step 3. Once on the home page, look for Kristine in the featured section

Step 4. Breathe deeply and slowly and marvel at the fact that the perfect "All American Girl" lives in Norway.

Step 5: Join me in crying over that fact.

To the staff at NSA who probably are watching this (along with everything else) --- Enjoy guys.

To the members of SOPO who may be watching, if you honestly go to all that trouble just to report me again, my hat is off to you if I'm facing front, and different clothing is off if facing backwards.:p TaTa

Edited by JohnGaltny

I personally can't understand why you'd be reprimanded for those photos. I've been enjoying your writing style -- like others, it makes me lol and puts some cheer in my day. Look forward to more :)