Bourbon on Princess

patterson3

In April my wife and I cruised on the Sapphire Princess and I was told that Jim Beam was the only bourbon they had. We will be on the Crown Princess in January and I was wondering if there are any other bourbon drinkers that know if the Crown has a wider selection?

This from the Princess Cruises Cellar website (these can be pre ordered from the website:

Liquor & Beer Packages

Bourbon

Jim Beam 375ml bottle Item #2330 $17.00

Crown Royal 375ml bottle Item #2331 $22.00

Jack Daniel's 375ml bottle Item #2332 $26.00

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

Princess would get a lot more of my money if they had Makers Mark.:cool:

I completely agree with you!!! I also like Knob Creek and Wild Turkey, but Maker's is my favorite.

So it appears that Jim Beam is in fact the only bourbon carried by Princess....I'm surprised. I know bourbon isn't a popular "sit by the pool in the hot sun" type of liquor, but the wheelhouse bar is a perfect venue for a sazerac, old fashioned, or even just bourbon with a splash of coke.

I completely agree with you!!! I also like Knob Creek and Wild Turkey, but Maker's is my favorite.

So it appears that Jim Beam is in fact the only bourbon carried by Princess....I'm surprised. I know bourbon isn't a popular "sit by the pool in the hot sun" type of liquor, but the wheelhouse bar is a perfect venue for a sazerac, old fashioned, or even just bourbon with a splash of coke.

Manhattan with a double dash of bitters please.. ;)

This is one of our pet peeves with Princess, that Jim Beam is the only bourbon they carry, especially now that they are enforcing the carryon liquor policy. Bourbon is my husband's drink of choice, and he likes it neat, so Jim Beam is certainly not adequate. For the last few cruises, whenever I fill out their satisfaction survey after the cruise, I always mention their lack of bourbon selection. They even sell Makers Mark in the duty free shop, but not in any of the bars!

This is one of our pet peeves with Princess, that Jim Beam is the only bourbon they carry, especially now that they are enforcing the carryon liquor policy. Bourbon is my husband's drink of choice, and he likes it neat, so Jim Beam is certainly not adequate. For the last few cruises, whenever I fill out their satisfaction survey after the cruise, I always mention their lack of bourbon selection. They even sell Makers Mark in the duty free shop, but not in any of the bars!

I sympathize with your husband. Oh for a nice cask-strength, like Willet Family or even Bookers! :)

DH loves a manhattan made with Knob Creek and Antica Formula sweet vermouth. We too have filled out comment cards regarding bourbon selection. Most none bourbon drinkers (and this includes many bartenders) think Jack Daniels is bourbon. We celebrated our retirement last year traveling the Bourbon Trail. Lots of fun.

We're doing some of the bourbon trail in a couple weeks - hitting some of the places we did not hit last time, like Willetts.

Maybe if enough of us keep mentioning it in the satisfaction surveys and comments cards, they will do something. Any self-respecting upscale restaurant carries more than Jim Beam!

I would suppose they substituted Seagrams 7 for CC. Crown would be a natural but is actually slightly higher shelf....even though I, too, prefer CC. Doubt seriously it would have been a scotch.

There was a time when they had the 50 ml Crown Royal. They then went to CC and finally no Canadian Whiskey at all. Last voyage it was Dewar's Scotch. For the pittance they pay for these things, No Taxes, No Duty, one would think that a better brand would not go unappreciated.

• 11 months later...

Princess stepped up their game with Bourbon. It was a happy surprise for me, since I went on board the Caribbean Princess this July not expecting much. Here's a photo of the bourbon, scotch, and whiskey selection: FullSizeRender

On the bourbon side of the house, they had Woodford Reserve (my favorite), Knob Creek, Bulleit, Maker's, and a John Jacob rye. My only complaint is that the service staff was a little confused (on multiple occasions) on how to ring in a manhattan with something other than well whiskey.

Thanks telefrog, I think, for the update. I'm amazed you appropriately resurrected this almost year-old thread.

Now I'm thirsty and it's heading for 98 F here and only just past noon... oh well, I suppose it is Saturday, the chores are (mostly) done. I could just ruin the rest of any productivity I have left. :cool: