gratuities

beachlover98

So I'm taking my first solo cruise in December on Royal Caribbean. Always knew about and planned for the single supplement. On this particular cruise it was about 70% so not too bad.

One thing I never thought about was the gratuities. Do they charge for just the one occupant in the room? I guess it seems kind of unfair if that's the case as the cabin steward is really doing just about the same amount of work for one than for two in the cabin. I've never been high maintenance as a cruise ship passenger. Probably the only thing I've ever requested was an extra pillow. I also try to keep the room very neat so it's easier for them to do their job.

So, if gratuities are only charged for one, will my cabin steward be kind of disappointed? Should I just plan on tipping more regardless? Hope someone out there has some advice.

Thanks!

Gratuities will be charged for just one. I don't think the stewards will care - they likely have a number of cabins with 3 or 4 beds to make up, towels for that many, etc. Probably a solo in a cabin makes their life a little easier. I tip extra only if the steward/server have been extra, extra wonderful.

Enjoy your cruise!

You will be charged for 1. As for the cabin attendant? I have always

had very good ones with my cabin being cleaned as it is supposed to

be:)......it is their job. That is in 10 years of cruising solo:D......I don't

recall the attendant being disappointed. And if they go above and

beyond for me? I will give them extra $$ at the end. Not enough to

pay for a 2nd person but more than what is "suggested".

• 4 weeks later...

I have always "cleaned up" for the steward. or for that matter, the lady who cleans my house. I make sure my stuff is out of the way so they can do what needs doing.

Have you peeked into some cabins while they are cleaning!!! Some cabins are trashed--and that's before the steward got started!

I've tipped extra for my ice bucket being kept full all week. I got to know one guy who was going home for a while and he'd done a fantastic job so I gave him extra too. They have such difficult jobs and make my vacation so nice.

I travel solo and , yes, am only charged tips for 1 person. However, I have always had fabulous cabin stewards, waiters, bartenders, etc. I always leave them a nice extra tip at the end of my cruise.

Sue

Archived