Email from Royal RE:smoking

Mac303

We heard the same threats and predictions of disaster when smoking was banned in bingo parlors, in bars and restaurants, public spaces etc. Eventually, however, reality kicked in and smokers decided that if they wanted to eat, drink, or gamble they would have to forego smoking for the time that they were enjoying those activities. Despite all the forecasts of financial ruin for those businesses affected by the bans, those places are pretty much packed every day and night and the world hasn't come to an end. Some would even say that the bans brought back much of the business from non-smokers who now could enjoy a smoke-free environment formerly denied them. It is likely that the cruiselines will experience the same results and everyone's health will be the better for it.

Same thing happened here. One of our favorite restaurants had just completely renovated their bar room with big screen TVs in anticipation of hosting sports events. Of course, it was going to be a smoking venue geared toward smokers and drinkers. When the ban hit, the owner was sure he was headed toward bankruptcy. Guess what? You can't get near the place most of the time. Same is true for other sports bars in the area. People adapt.

We heard the same threats and predictions of disaster when smoking was banned in bingo parlors, in bars and restaurants, public spaces etc. Eventually, however, reality kicked in and smokers decided that if they wanted to eat, drink, or gamble they would have to forego smoking for the time that they were enjoying those activities. Despite all the forecasts of financial ruin for those businesses affected by the bans, those places are pretty much packed every day and night and the world hasn't come to an end. Some would even say that the bans brought back much of the business from non-smokers who now could enjoy a smoke-free environment formerly denied them. It is likely that the cruiselines will experience the same results and everyone's health will be the better for it.

When Florida when smokeless in most places about a decade ago, there was this massive outrage. EVERY BAR IN THE STATE WILL DIE! THERE WILL BE NO MORE RESTAURANTS EVER AGAIN! NO ONE WILL LEAVE HOME! THE WHOLE STATE WILL BE UNEMPLOYED AND HOMELESS!

Now the recession caused some of that, but for the 6-7 years prior to the recession... almost nothing happened.

I'm sure the new rules caused a few bars to go out of business. Maybe some restaurants went under? HOWEVER, anyone who has ever worked in the service industry knows that happens all the time anyway. Bars/restaurants are nasty businesses to get in to with the high turnover/fail rates. Anything could change your business and make it fail.

Was there a massive scale bar-pocalypse? No.

Do I think this will cause a major change in bookings? No. Either smokers won't book or they will just comply with the new rules and keep sailing.

Let's face it, smokers are a dying breed and while they made up nearly half (45%-ish??) of the US population 50 years ago, they make up like 18% today and that's going down every year.

Some slightly old data...

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5542a1.htm

If you throw in the fact that smoking rates ABOVE THE POVERTY LINE (which we will assume make up the bulk of cruisers, as I don't think generally speaking people who are trying to keep some sort of food on the table are spending on big vacations) is estimated to be 3%-5% LESS than the general population, then you see that if less than 15% of the US population are potential customers... well, Royal probably isn't overly worried.

I'm sure they don't want to insult that block, but they aren't going to ignore the other side completely.

All this doesn't even touch the fact that some people are saying this rule change comes from something altogether different... safety regulations and fires. I have no idea if that has even a measure of truth to it.

When I go on a cruise I smoke, maybe 5 times on my balcony for a total of about 20 minutes per day, out of 24 hours a day. Each time it's a total of less than 4 minutes. It just happens that it's the times you are talking about. I have one when I get up in the morning, one after breakfast, one when I come back from wherever I've been that day, one when getting ready for dinner, and the last one before I go to bed. The rest of the time when I'm on the ship, I'm in a designated smoking area. Anyone that would pay to go on a cruise to stay in their cabin all day and order room service for all their meals, is probably one in a million or more. I guess you hit the smoking lottery.

LOL....that's probably the only lottery I'll ever hit.

Same thing happened here. One of our favorite restaurants had just completely renovated their bar room with big screen TVs in anticipation of hosting sports events. Of course, it was going to be a smoking venue geared toward smokers and drinkers. When the ban hit, the owner was sure he was headed toward bankruptcy. Guess what? You can't get near the place most of the time. Same is true for other sports bars in the area. People adapt.

I'm sure that's true in a lot of places. It's not true where I live. Tobacco was the main cash crop here for decades. When the smoking ban came in many bars had to close. Others added on patios to allow for an outdoor space but even some of those didn't survive. It's sad to see businesses go out of business but it's just the way it is now.

Archived