Oceania v Celebrity

Presto2

They probably still have logo t-shirts .. sometimes the stock is low so sizes are not there

I was told they do not replenish the stock each cruise ...which seems silly IMO

Anyway I did buy t-shirts on our Marina cruise in 2011 so unless things changed you will probably find some ;)

You can check on your upcoming cruise & report back

Lyn

Lyn,

Maybe it's the luck of the draw but it's been an ETERNITY since I saw a t-shirt I wanted to buy on board. Renaissance and early Oceania always had wonderful t-shirts. Now you're lucky if you see a plain one with the name of the ship on the sleeve.

At least that has been MY experience. It may be the cruise you are on, but we were together in July 2010 on Regatta and I didn't see anything to buy in the shop. Of ANY size.

There is one style that I really loved early on. I saw it on Ren and NCL (going back to Jan 2002 for NCL). It was plain grey with a graphic of the ship with information about speed, draw, etc. I love those and haven't seen them in years.

In 2003 (or was it 2004) Oceania had a great Panama Canal shirt.

I just don't see anything like that these days.

I have several of those plain t-shirts with just the ship name. I don't need any more!

FDR, please bring back the great t-shirts you used to have. I don't know about any other passengers, but I would buy several if I saw them!

Mura

P.S. Howard still has his Renaissance jacket ...

We got the brochure recently from O which had free gratuities and internet, etc. in addition to the usual free air. There was one new cruise which really interested us, and I jumped on it, as I had not seen O offer it before, and since we wanted an inside cabin and there are few of those. (The cruise was heavy on Spain and the Canary Islands, plus Portugal and Gibraltar). Most of the offerings in that brochure were on Insignia, which is probably because Hapag-Lloyd is turning Insignia back earlier than expected to O. I suppose Oceania had to hustle and develop some new itineraries. I'm glad they put together the one they did, as it's perfect for us.

As to Celebrity versus Oceania, I have only been on one Celebrity cruise, and it was on Summit, not a Solstice class ship. I have to admit that if you're only going on a cruise for the ports (and I could certainly do that, though my husband wouldn't want to) Celebrity provided a decent cruise for the price. (Of course, the price jumps substantially when you add the port charges, taxes, fees, air, etc. that isn't included up front in their pricing!!) However, I was spoiled after taking Oceania, and have to admit that the overall experience wasn't so great, even for the price. Some of the food was positively dreadful (although some was great) and the ship was a bit dirty and dingy for my taste. At least the excursions were reasonable, though - and the service and cabin were fairly good.

I don't think Celebrity is a third of the cost of Oceania, but of course, it's hard to compare apples to apples when so many things are subjective and difficult to quantify. I've also looked at Crystal (and Regent) but with those lines, we would be paying for things we don't use (or don't value highly (alcohol, balcony cabins, some shore excursions, etc.) so I doubt we'll ever be willing to pay that much for those lines.

My husband loves those things that you can only obtain through redeeming Big O points! I think the whole thing is kind of a joke, as he rarely gets enough points to get more than a ball cap, but he loves the quest!

Lyn,

Maybe it's the luck of the draw but it's been an ETERNITY since I saw a t-shirt I wanted to buy on board. Renaissance and early Oceania always had wonderful t-shirts. Now you're lucky if you see a plain one with the name of the ship on the sleeve.

Mura that is the kind I got

name on the front & sleeve, even got one in pink ;)

We got the brochure recently from O which had free gratuities and internet, etc. in addition to the usual free air. There was one new cruise which really interested us, and I jumped on it, as I had not seen O offer it before, and since we wanted an inside cabin and there are few of those. (The cruise was heavy on Spain and the Canary Islands, plus Portugal and Gibraltar). Most of the offerings in that brochure were on Insignia, which is probably because Hapag-Lloyd is turning Insignia back earlier than expected to O. I suppose Oceania had to hustle and develop some new itineraries. I'm glad they put together the one they did, as it's perfect for us.

What cruise date is that???

Mura that is the kind I got

name on the front & sleeve, even got one in pink ;)

Maybe that's the problem ... I like the ones with great logos and designs, not just the name of the ship!

One of these days I'll take some photos of the ones I like and send them to you ...

Mura

Archived