Seaglass on St. Kitts!!

SkiCruiser

Just back from a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Jewel of the Seas out of Puerto Rico! I had researched before we left on where to look for seaglass on each of the islands. Seaglasslovers.com and this thread recommended a beach just to the left of the port! Well it was awesome and I found a at least a 100 pieces of glass, many blue, in less than a half hour! If I had had more time I would have been able to pick-up hundreds of pieces! You can see the beach from the ship and it was probably less than a quarter mile walk! Just go out to the main road outside the port shopping area, turn left left and walk until you get to the beach area on your left! Most of the glass was in the water and some on the beach above the water line. There were small rolling waves which made it a little more difficult to keep your balance and get the piece you spotted in the water. This spot and OSJ were the best spots of the whole trip. I will post on the San Juan thread about my success there!

Hope others find this helpful for their quest for seaglass!!

Cheryl

Thanks for the info Cheryl! Glad you had great success.

Did you do any other glass hunting on your Jewel stops? If so,

please share. (We're on Jewel in a few weeks.)

We do this on cruise trips and love the adventure of the hunt and the

free souvenirs! Bermuda was amazing and we found interesting things in

Greece as well. Our hunting finds also include ceramic pieces and tiles.

And, they aren't heavy or large to cart back in a suitcase!

Best place I ever picked up lots of seaglass was on St. Croix. There was a beach just outside of the port area past the fort and it was everywhere, many colors. Most of what I found was made into jewelry for friends and family. You didn't even have to get your feet wet to get at it, although there was plenty in the surf, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info Cheryl! Glad you had great success.

Did you do any other glass hunting on your Jewel stops? If so,

please share. (We're on Jewel in a few weeks.)

We do this on cruise trips and love the adventure of the hunt and the

free souvenirs! Bermuda was amazing and we found interesting things in

Greece as well. Our hunting finds also include ceramic pieces and tiles.

And, they aren't heavy or large to cart back in a suitcase!

Cruz4us4,

We did look on all the other islands that we visited! See the San Juan Port thread for the info on Old San Juan! It was awesome! We did not hit any other great spots on any of the other islands (St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Kitt's, St. Lucia, Barbados). I was able to pick up a few pieces (only had a few minutes) on the beach in Soufriere, St. Lucia where we took a boat over to the beach between the Pitons! I was not able to find any on St. Maarten, Antigua or Barbados. The weather was really bad in Barbados as it was raining and lightning but we did take a taxi to several recommended beaches but only found 5 or 6 pieces at Payne's Bay Beach and none at Brandon's Beach although they were recommended. Will check other beaches on each island next time I go! Hope to go again next year!!!!!:D

Cheryl

I also love picking up sea glass, even though I haven't done anything with it except put it into a nice glass container at home. My best finds have been in St. Croix, but now you have given me some new places to hunt. Thank you for this tip.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be on the Jewel for another So. Caribbean itinerary next year...But, on our last cruise - Adventure of the Seas from San Juan - we stopped in St Croix and collected sea glass, but the security on the ship would not let us bring it back on board and confiscated it because they said it was organic material and a violation to remove from the island. We would love to find some again next cruise - do any of you have suggestions for how to get it back on the ship?

Thanks so much!

We will be on the Jewel for another So. Caribbean itinerary next year...But, on our last cruise - Adventure of the Seas from San Juan - we stopped in St Croix and collected sea glass, but the security on the ship would not let us bring it back on board and confiscated it because they said it was organic material and a violation to remove from the island. We would love to find some again next cruise - do any of you have suggestions for how to get it back on the ship?

Thanks so much!

I guess everyone has different experiences, depending on how and when they go through security. I picked up a fist-sized bagful of seaglass on St. Croix and walked back onto Adventure with it. No hassles from security. It was just in my backpack with other stuff and I guess they weren't able to pick it out as anything prohibited. That was in November 2009, as I recall.

Thanks so much!

I'd love for them to try that with my husband. He's a retired chemist and could explain to them in great detail why sea glass is NOT organic. Organic material is anything that comes from a once-living thing (plant or animal). Glass is made from sand and on this planet sand is not alive.... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much!

Seriously?!! Organic glass?!! That's just too funny. I don't think I would have been able to keep a straight face.

Archived