Off menu in Princess Grill

cruiseluvva

The whole ethos of QG dates back to the days of the Verandah Grill on the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth where there was a menu, but it was déclassé to actually order from it. The chefs would produce whatever the passenger desired, as long as the ingredients were available in the kitchen.

On the QE2 this tradition continued in QG. The maître d' would approach the table at each lunchtime with a copy of the nightly menu and ask if "all was to your satisfaction". This would be a signal for the passenger to request something to be prepared that was not on the menu.

On Cunard nowadays, the above practice is generally continued in QG, although reports here seem to be that a lot depends on the maître d'.

In the PG, it would appear that ordering off-menu is not suggested by the maître d', but it is something that may be available from time to time at the passenger's particular request.

We were able to order off menu in P-Grill, but gave at least a day notice, just in case. They are becoming less willing now,though. I remember it wasn't too many years ago you got Caviar in Princess Grill. Try it now!

The availability of going off menu in PG seems to depend on who is running the dining room. My table had no problem doing so last July but other posters here say that their requests were declined. Maybe other factors affect it too like how many and the type of special requests.

A pretty varied response on this thread and I think that the answer lies in the word "reasonable". On our two QV cruises this year - and on previous cruises -both my wife and I along with others on our tables in the Britannia dining room, have requested "off menu" items, our requests have been reasonable in my opinion and without exception all requests were met.

In some instances, for example a starter dish was thoroughly enjoyed by some and requests for "seconds" were met and were forthcoming without delay, likewise similarly with deserts and on more than one occasion additional portions of the main course were requested.

As I say, I think that reasonable requests are met without any issues, or perhaps we have just been "lucky" in our allocated dining room team...........

A pretty varied response on this thread and I think that the answer lies in the word "reasonable". On our two QV cruises this year - and on previous cruises -both my wife and I along with others on our tables in the Britannia dining room, have requested "off menu" items, our requests have been reasonable in my opinion and without exception all requests were met.

In some instances, for example a starter dish was thoroughly enjoyed by some and requests for "seconds" were met and were forthcoming without delay, likewise similarly with deserts and on more than one occasion additional portions of the main course were requested.

As I say, I think that reasonable requests are met without any issues, or perhaps we have just been "lucky" in our allocated dining room team...........

The difference is that having second helpings of a dish that has already been prepared, isn't an issue. The requesting of a dish to be prepared specifically from scratch is obviously more work.

The difference is that having second helpings of a dish that has already been prepared, isn't an issue. The requesting of a dish to be prepared specifically from scratch is obviously more work.

I have to agree, seconds or double helpings is not going off menu.

You can go off menu in Princess Grill but, from my experience, and reading the experiences of others, it seems dependent on your wait staff/head waiter and what you're asking for.

I've never eaten in Britannia, but I would have expected starters as mains [doubled up], seconds and possibly a replacement simple steak or chicken dish in place of a rich main as a given.

Going off the menu ranges from something not on any of that day's menu to 'if the ingredients are on-board, you can have it'.

On the world cruise, we were repeatedly told by our maitre d' that we could order off menu and they would try to honor our requests. We really were happy enough with the menu, and made no requets. But because he noticed we particularly enjoyed the pastas served at lunch, he kept encouraging us to order them anytime. (who knew a young cook from Mauritius could cook such great pastas!).

While in QG, those options are more obvious and widely used by the passengers, my experience is that reasonable requests in the top 3 classes will be taken care of. In QG, we had people near us order lobster thermidor, beef wellington, and the like every couple of nights. And our maitre d' in QG prepared a pasta table side that was incredibly good.

In QG, we had people near us order lobster thermidor, beef wellington, and the like every couple of nights. And our maitre d' in QG prepared a pasta table side that was incredibly good.

Sounds like the best wives of all and me...

Archived