Alaska Cruise

BellaB53

We are looking into taking an Alaskan Cruise roundtrip from Vancouver which includes a visit to the Glaciers. If anyone out there has taken one could you tell us which cruise line is the best for this type of trip?

Cruising in Alaska is more about the itinerary, not the cruiseline. Holland America, Princess, and Celebrity, have quite a few ships in Alaska during the season. I'd suggest you check their itineraries and choose one that hits the things that you are interested in.

I'd also suggest the Alaska board here for some research:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=100&f=55

There are so many good cruise lines to sail.

Don't limit yourself two two cruise lines.

Start by looking at all of the cruise lines that sail Alaska. Then narrow them down by looking at the itineraries.

Finally, as you narrow this down there is lots of information you can get from the Alaska Ports Of Call Board.

Keith

My family and I took our first cruise in August on HAL to Alaska. Seattle round trip. It was fabulous! The main thing was the itinerary and the ports. We cruised Glacier Bay and saw some amazing calving. The whole thing was fabulous.

I have nothing to compare it to but Holland America was great. Helpful service, comfortable, if small cabins. (My parents had an aft suite with a wraparound deck which was absolutely amazing and only one level up from the deluxe verandah cabins.) The trip was multi-generational; There were 6 of us and ages ranged from 8 to 73. Everyone had a great time. That said, we enjoyed the scenery and the ports the most. I imagine we really could have been on any decent cruise ship and had just as good of a time but like I said, our first cruise so nothing to compare it to. My parents have been cruising many times but stick to the smaller, more boutique lines and they thought it was a very good cruise.

Choosing the cruise line is difficult, but then you also have to look at the ship you will sail. Some ships sailing in Alaska have pool decks with a closing roof. So in bad weather, you can still hang around the pool. Other ships do not have this and you lose that open space in the rain.

Docking at the ports can be important. Some ships will actually dock at almost every port. Very convenient to walk on and off the ship. Others may use tenders, a bit more time consuming.

When docked, some ships dock right in the center of towns. Others may dock a half mile away requiring you to either walk (may be difficult with older family members) or wait around for shuttles.

Holland America is great for Alaska but not nearly as "fun" for younger teens and children. No waterslides, rockwalls etc.

Round trips from Vancouver are very limited. I can only think of one cruise line (major) that does this. HAL. An excellent choice.

While there are several from Seattle, you will spend a lot of time on the open sea with those cruises. Sailing from Vancouver will keep you in the usually placid waters and quiet beauty of the Inside Passage.

Round trips from Vancouver are very limited. I can only think of one cruise line (major) that does this. HAL. An excellent choice.

While there are several from Seattle, you will spend a lot of time on the open sea with those cruises. Sailing from Vancouver will keep you in the usually placid waters and quiet beauty of the Inside Passage.

RCI has a One Way out of Vancouver to Seward, a "Round Trip" out of Vancouver back to Seattle and a Round trip out of and back to Vancouver.

Unless you don't view Royal Caribbean as a "major" cruise line.

Archived