Photographers toning it down ?

ToadOfToadHall

One thing I forgot to include in my Baltic review of the QV as the difference we noticed in the behaviour of the ship's photographers.

On previous cruises on Cunard they were very pushy, at every embarkation and disembarkation they would be there asking to take your photo. And when you said "no thanks" they would not let it go - they kept asking. The same was true on board on formal nights; i.e. they would come round to your table and often not take "no thanks" for an answer. Also, you were pestered for formal pictures on formal nights (but who wants to have their picture taken standing in front of a poster anyway).

It often got to the stage that I was on the brink of saying "I'd get a smaller camera if I were you, because it will be easier for the doctor to remove it after I've inserted it into you".

But, on our last cruise it had all changed. "No thanks" and they stepped back and did not ask again. This was true no matter where they were (i.e. getting on or off the ship, in the corridors or at your table).

I wonder what has brought on this change of behaviour ? Maybe one or two passengers have lamped one of them and they have thought better of it ? Either way, it's a vast improvement.

Thank you. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who finds the photographers intrusive. Nothing annoys me more than Formal night when they come into the dining room and always seem to time it for arrival at your table shortly after you have started your entrée. I'm there to dine and prefer to eat my dinner hot.

I once had a photographer cajole me to consent while I was dining. For the rest of the trip when that photographer spotted me he gave me a wide berth.:D

On our crossings this summer, we thought that the photographers were far less pushy than they were two years ago. The photographs were no better, alas, except for a surprisingly good shot taken on the aft deck as we pulled out of Southampton. We look at it every so often and dream about sailing again.

I kind of like the photographers on the ships. I always tell them the have an exciting job and that I envy them. Then I have them take some lame picture of me and I don't buy it. Well to tell the truth I have bought a few. But only those I had taken in front of the ship or in my suite or on my balcony.

I suppose it may depend on the passenger, and the way one declines the offer of a photograph.

I've never had an issue yet with the photographers, either boarding, or at dinner. A firm, yet polite "No, thank you" seems to do the trick, everytime, in my experience.

Of course for every passenger like me who declines the opportunity to have a photo taken with queues of passengers in the departure lounge as a backdrop, or gathered around one side of the dinner table while the food gets cold, there are others who love these pictures. We are all different, and if there were no takers, they'd soon stop.

We had the opposite problem. We tried to have a photo taken for our semi formal but the photographers were pfaffing around with one couple taking so many photos that we just couldn't stand there waiting any longer. I thought that was silly from a business perspective because so many of us gave up and there was no way that couple was going to buy all those photos.

We had the opposite problem. We tried to have a photo taken for our semi formal but the photographers were pfaffing around with one couple taking so many photos that we just couldn't stand there waiting any longer. I thought that was silly from a business perspective because so many of us gave up and there was no way that couple was going to buy all those photos.
Hi Pushka,

Your post reminded me of an occasion, on my way to dinner, when I wanted (unusually) a "proper" photograph of me in my formal gear (before, as usual, I dripped soup down it :o). The photographer looked at my waistline, and then muttered to his assistant "Go get the CinemaScope lens"...

All best wishes :)

It could be a new contractor doing the phot service? I noticed a change in the attitude and a decrease in quality after the change from the guy who was origionally from India to the alltime molesting girl amateur team on QM2.

It could be a new contractor doing the phot service? I noticed a change in the attitude and a decrease in quality after the change from the guy who was origionally from India to the alltime molesting girl amateur team on QM2.

"Alltime molesting girl amateur team"? Are you saying the photographers molest girls?

:confused:

I suppose it may depend on the passenger, and the way one declines the offer of a photograph.

I've never had an issue yet with the photographers, either boarding, or at dinner. A firm, yet polite "No, thank you" seems to do the trick, everytime, in my experience.

Of course for every passenger like me who declines the opportunity to have a photo taken with queues of passengers in the departure lounge as a backdrop, or gathered around one side of the dinner table while the food gets cold, there are others who love these pictures. We are all different, and if there were no takers, they'd soon stop.

Mine too Pepper. I've never been accosted or "molested" by any of the photographers. Usually there is a line up to have photos taken.

I've also never been subjected to, or witnessed, a photographer not taking no for an answer. They come across to me as pleasant young people just doing a job.

No, no, the photographers have been the girls. Their attitude showed now respect for the passengers and their needs.

Oh, well that is good news. What a relief, thanks for clearing that up for us.

I am, however, saddened to hear that you previously thought them amateur and disrespectful.

As an aside, I found some of them enchanting. There's one girl with the most exotic eastern european accent, you could fall into a trance listening to it. I found myself handing over my keycard in a daze whilst agreeing with her that the photo package was a fantastic deal at $500. :eek:

Hi Pushka,

Your post reminded me of an occasion, on my way to dinner, when I wanted (unusually) a "proper" photograph of me in my formal gear (before, as usual, I dripped soup down it :o). The photographer looked at my waistline, and then muttered to his assistant "Go get the CinemaScope lens"...

All best wishes :)

Which reminds me of something else. My hubby worked at a science clinic that measured the fat percentage of athletes using calipers. When particular athletes walked in they'd get the industrial sized ones out. Or when they used the water displacement technique, tell people to watch out for floods.

You have all the bad luck dontcha! :D

Don't I though! :)

I didn't let them get away with it, I was straight on down to the Purser's desk to lodge a complaint and demand extra OBC. "Worst cruise ever I said"....."We cannot help you at this time" came the reply.....

Oh, well that is good news. What a relief, thanks for clearing that up for us.

I am, however, saddened to hear that you previously thought them amateur and disrespectful.

As an aside, I found some of them enchanting. There's one girl with the most exotic eastern european accent, you could fall into a trance listening to it. I found myself handing over my keycard in a daze whilst agreeing with her that the photo package was a fantastic deal at $500. :eek:

From her point of view it was certainly a fantastic deal.

Their staff probably rotates. I have definitely not been happy with the photographers. Worst day was at Ein Soknha this year when only leaving the ship to do a short walk on egyptian grounds. They were just like the local memorabilies traders.

And regarding their professionalism: I am a professional photographer.

We used to purchase a few photographs on every cruise, but not this year. They even disturbed during the main course on my birthday dinner in QG insisting to take pictures on individuals and couples on our table. I was so upset that I asked Osman to remove them.

Don't I though! :)

I didn't let them get away with it, I was straight on down to the Purser's desk to lodge a complaint and demand extra OBC. "Worst cruise ever I said"....."We cannot help you at this time" came the reply.....

Oh dear. Well, that's to be expected I suppose.

I hope you removed their tips too. Talk about service!

Oh dear. Well, that's to be expected I suppose.

I hope you removed their tips too. Talk about service!

Oh of course, doesn't everyone? :)

From her point of view it was certainly a fantastic deal.

Their staff probably rotates. I have definitely not been happy with the photographers. Worst day was at Ein Soknha this year when only leaving the ship to do a short walk on egyptian grounds. They were just like the local memorabilies traders.

And regarding their professionalism: I am a professional photographer.

We used to purchase a few photographs on every cruise, but not this year. They even disturbed during the main course on my birthday dinner in QG insisting to take pictures on individuals and couples on our table. I was so upset that I asked Osman to remove them.

And did he?

Boarding QM2 July 28th for TA, I was astonished to hear photographers telling boarding passengers that they needed to have their photographs taken, for ID purposes on board.

I met several passengers who complained to the to Purser, that this behavior must stop. One first time couple were very angry when they found out they had spent money for pictures they did not need for ID

Very pleased to read that their behavior has been modified. I can ignore them at the gangway but I dislike them interrupting dinner in the dining room.

Boarding QM2 July 28th for TA, I was astonished to hear photographers telling boarding passengers that they needed to have their photographs taken, for ID purposes on board.

I met several passengers who complained to the to Purser, that this behavior must stop. One first time couple were very angry when they found out they had spent money for pictures they did not need for ID

Very pleased to read that their behavior has been modified. I can ignore them at the gangway but I dislike them interrupting dinner in the dining room.

It sounds like those passengers were easily confused. You do have to have your photograph taken for your keycard, which is for ID purposes.

So this couple that purchased the "welcome aboard" pictures for "ID purposes", did they spend the voyage waving their "welcome aboard" pictures around whenever they bought a drink or exited and re-entered the ship when in port?

Australian friends went on a Seabourn cruise and asked where the photographers were, only to be told by other passengers that photographers are 'naff'.

After the photographs taken recently on MSC, I felt like throwing away my black sequinned dress and having liposuction on my face! Needless to say I did not buy any.

I remember on my first cruise (Princess) being told that it was necessary for us to have our photos taken as we boarded. Since discovering it is not (and no, I didn't buy the photos), I have not had a boarding photo taken since, much to the disgust of my travel companions last time who walked so slowly they didn't reach the photographers until I was a blur in the distance.

I find the photo gallery a place of entertainment !

I did also notice an increase in cheesy family portrait type photos. There was one of a couple laying down, facing the camera - I felt quite bilious looking at it. I don't know which was worse, the couple fot agreeing to do it, or the photographer for even suggesting it.

Archived