Gem Dry Dock

NoName

one thing that I read awhile ago and can't remember where is that all the ships will transform the Blue Lagoon to O'Sheehans so I'm sure the Gem will get that in dry dock....

Which ever it will be, I hope it will still be open 24 hours a day.

O'Sheehan's is open 24 hours, so can't imagine that would change.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you for posting that. I pulled up O'Sheehan's on the ncl website and it described the restaurant but did not mention the hours. It's nice not having to order rooms service if you do not want or can not eat during regular dinner hours.:)

Not me. I'm sailing on her in January, and I'm afraid the first target of any dry dock would be to trash the Spinnaker in favor of some more suites! If she's as pretty as the Jewel I'd prefer to leave well enough alone. At least I'll get to enjoy her before any so called improvements....:(.

More and more people are missing Spinnaker these days so maybe NCL is listening.

• 1 month later...
one thing that I read awhile ago and can't remember where is that all the ships will transform the Blue Lagoon to O'Sheehans so I'm sure the Gem will get that in dry dock....

Yes... My understanding is O'Sheehans will take up both sides and replace Moderno. Moderno will replace the Star Bar. I'm sad to see the Star Bar go away but understandable because it is an underutilized space.

How can they do away with Spinnaker? What would they use for venues for Latitudes Party, Indoor Sailaway parties and the like? Replacing it would be a bad move.

I imagine that other changes would be to install exhaust scrubbers in order to conform with stricter clean air regulations.

Cruise Ship Refurbishments

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=521

Edited by kylenyc

Not me. I'm sailing on her in January, and I'm afraid the first target of any dry dock would be to trash the Spinnaker in favor of some more suites! If she's as pretty as the Jewel I'd prefer to leave well enough alone. At least I'll get to enjoy her before any so called improvements....:(.

Worth noting that the Dawn/Star had their Spinnaker on a different floor to the Jewel class ships.

It was where the Spa is on the Gem.

Does anyone have the dates of this drydock?

IMPORTANT INFORAMTION ABOUT YOUR CRUISE

Dear Valued Guest:

Norwegian Gem's 9-Day Eastern Caribbean sailings from New York on November 5 and November 15, 2014 have been

cancelled as Norwegian Gem will enter a dry dock for maintenance and enhancements from November 9, 2014 to November

22, 2014 in Grand Bahama Island. In order to provide you with the best possible experience for your vacation, we are offering

you the following options:

Option 1: Move to any 9-Day Eastern Caribbean sailing from New York from October 18, 2014 to February 28, 2015 and your

cruise fare will be protected. If you choose this option, we are pleased to provide you with a $50 per stateroom on-board

credit to be used on any expenditure on the ship (excluding service charges). If you are currently booked in a suite (category

codes that begin with S), we are pleased to provide you with a $100 per stateroom on-board credit to be used on any

expenditure on the ship (excluding service charges).

Option 2: Select any available sailing in our fleet from now until December 31, 2014 and your cruise fare will be re-priced to

the current published fare. With this option, we are pleased to offer you a $50 per stateroom on-board credit to be used on

any expenditure on the ship (excluding service charges). If you are currently booked in a suite (category codes that begin

with S), we are pleased to offer you a $100 per stateroom on-board credit to be used on any expenditure on the ship

(excluding service charges).

We look forward to hearing from you by Tuesday, September 17, 2013 so that we can modify your reservation. If we do not

hear from you reservations will be automatically cancelled and deposits will be refunded. We are standing by to assist you on

our dedicated support line at (877) 461-1160 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET Monday through Friday.

We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and we look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,

Crane Gladding

Senior Vice President, Passenger Service

Edited by Orleanscruiser

Worth noting that the Dawn/Star had their Spinnaker on a different floor to the Jewel class ships.

It was where the Spa is on the Gem.

On Dawn and Star, Spinnaker was moved to the rear where the store used to be. NO WINDOWS. :mad:

More and more people are missing Spinnaker these days so maybe NCL is listening.

I hope so! I love the Spinnaker Lounge space at the front of the ship. Very sad when they removed it on the Dawn. It's just not the same! NCL - please listen!!

I hope so! I love the Spinnaker Lounge space at the front of the ship. Very sad when they removed it on the Dawn. It's just not the same! NCL - please listen!!

Don't worry they need more then a 12 day dry dock to even consider that kind of change. Unlike the Dawn and Star no aft retail space to convert to a new Spinnaker cave.

• 10 months later...

Hi I just returned from a 9 night cruise on Norwegian Gem.

She has not been refurbished yet but definitely needs it. She used

to be gorgeous and perfect...now, not so much.

Many broken seats in the theater, worn upholstery, wood trim in need of painting and repaired

I still love her though