Aqua Class using MDR

LenRye

We are booked into an Aqua class cabin on our Eclipse cruise next week and know we could use the Blu restaurant for our meals but we also have my mother in law with us in a Balcony cabin.

Both our bookings show early sitting in the MDR and the bookings are linked as far as I can tell.

As we would like to have most meals together does anybody have any experience of Aqua class using the MDR, or better still, a non Aqua class getting in to Blu? (I know this is probably unlikely :()

Your mother in law will be unable to join you in BLU, so if your goal is to eat together, then you will be dining in the MDR.

Given that, why pay the extra money for Aqua Class? Perhaps take a regular verandah cabin and save.

If you intend to eat in the MDR every night, you'll need to go to the MaitreD on boarding and let him know so that you can be seated together, and so that your tips can be re-assigned to the MDR staff.

Otherwise, she will be assigned to a table in the MDR and you'll be assigned to BLU

My experience with this... My husband and I were booked in AQ, my mother/brother/sister in law/niece were in a CS. Our bookings were linked but my husband and I were told that we HAD to eat in Blu and would not be allowed to eat in the MDR. The rest of my family were told they might be able to eat in Blu (in a suite) but not guaranteed. We would NOT be allowed into traditional seating in the MDR. My mother was adamant that we all eat in the MDR with traditional late seating, not Blu. So DH and I changed cabin category... so we could all eat in the MDR together. Celebrity wasn't budging on this... no way would they book us into the MDR.

I don't hold this against X. They did suggest Select dining for all of us. If my mom had been more flexible, it could have worked.

Because your MIL is in a balcony cabin she won't be able to eat in Blu. You will probably be allowed to choose Select, though, and all of you could eat together in the MDR that way. Let me know if they allow you to choose Traditional dining, though!

Yes, the Select/Traditional comes into play, as well.

On some cruises, one or more of the options (Select, Traditional Early, Traditional Late) is sold out. That makes it harder to move from BLU to the dining room once you are on board.

It is much easier to just book a non-Aqua cabin in the first place. Even moving up to a suite doesn't guarantee dining in BLU, as it's on a space-available basis.

Since you are from the UK, there are additional difficulties. Changing your booking may involve fees that passengers in the US don't face.

I have a friend that books aqua class all the time and will eat, once in a while, in the MDR with advance requests.

I agree with the other poster - if you want to want to dine with your family, drop the AQ cabin and get a regular cabin. Save the extra $$ for specialty dining, drinks, etc., or back in your wallet.

Monica

We were in an Aqua class cabin on the Summit in April. We tried Blu and really did not care for it. We went to the maitre d' in the MDR and asked to be moved to the MDR for the rest of the week. He said that it would be no problem and that we could just show up at Select dining at our preferred time and he would take care of the arrangements for us.

We were greeted that evening by the hostess, who graciously asked where we would like to sit. We were seated in a very lovely table for two in a private area and the service was wonderful. We stayed there for the duration of the cruise and we loved it. The maitre d' from Blu came to our table and said that although he was disappointed that we did not enjoy Blu, he just wanted us to be happy and enjoy our cruise.

Lovely man!

So yes, you can change from Blu to MDR, but you will need to speak to the maitre d' first.

Unless you want to eat in Blu, there is really no point in paying for Aqua class unless your cabin is exactly located where you want. We would never book Aqua class again.

Archived