1st time on Princess. What is condidered Formal for men by ship?

dawcruiser

I have never sailed Princess before. What would be consider formal for men on the Golden Princess? We are on the Golden doing Western Europe and Trans-Atlantic 8/20/05 - 9/3/05. I normally wear a dark suit or a navy blazer with dark slacks.

What is expected as normal on the ship. PLEASE don't tell me what you desire. ALL I need to know is what is normally acceptable to the ship.

I have no problem with other people dressing down, I don't myself, can't image myself in the dining room in shorts. My cruise happiness doesn't depend upon how another person dresses.

I use to like to wear formal attire. But don't own any formal clothing anymore. I did when I was much younger and alot thinner. I haven't had a tux on in 25 years. I do want to eat in the dining room nightly so if a tux, dinner jacket or something like that is required I can rent one.

I dress up almost daily for work.

Thanks,

Don

From my May 21, 2005 Coral Princess Patter, the first day of our Alaska cruise.

Dress Codes..

During the day, sportswear and casual clothes are suggested. However, we ask that you do not wear bathing suits or beach attire in public rooms or lounges, especially the Dining Rooms. Guidelines for wear from 5:30pm and throughout the evening are:

Formal: A Dinner Jacket or dark business suit for gentlemen and a full length evening gown, cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies.

Smart Casual: An open-neck shirt and slacks for gentlemen and a dress, skirt and blouse or trouser suit outfit for the ladies.

European cruise. I would say about 1/2 tuxedos and the other half dark suits and ties...I don't think i saw anyone with just a dress shirt and tie and no jacket.....although I did see some sports coats and pants with ties. Didn't bother me though...I thought everyone looked like they tried to dress their best to me. We had a great cruise and formal night dinner was really very good.

June

And remember...they are "suggested" dress codes throughout the fleet!
I’m already up to my armpits in another formal wear thread, but just want to present a caution – while the guidelines are “suggested” they are strongly suggested. When I was on Island Princess in April, passengers not adhering to the suggested dress guidelines were not allowed in the dining rooms.

Bdjam...never heard or saw any Guestapo Dress Police enforcers at the Dinning Rooms on any of my 14 Princess cruises....I would love to see the poor mingnon attempt to tell me how to dress in any public venue....how rude, tacky and impolite...the word "guest" extends to all courtesies while onboard.

However, I do respect your right to enjoy your cruise experience fully.

Somehow formal threads seem to always be so "testy" aren't they?

When I was on Island Princess in April, passengers not adhering to the suggested dress guidelines were not allowed in the dining rooms.

Bdjam...never heard or saw any Guestapo Dress Police enforcers at the Dinning Rooms on any of my 14 Princess cruises....I would love to see the poor mingnon attempt to tell me how to dress in any public venue....how rude, tacky and impolite...the word "guest" extends to all courtesies while onboard.

I don’t think it any more rude or tacky than someone trying to enter a formal dining room in jeans and Hawaiian shirts – which is what these people were wearing...courtesy is a two way street. On the contrary, the Head Waiter that addressed them was very polite and explained to them the alternatives – either dress for the dining room or try Horizon Court. He also explained this was a formal evening and in deference to the other passengers, they would have to be dressed to enter the dining room. Those of us dressed for the evening were also guests on board the ship for that cruise.

And I'm sorry, I don't understand the meaning of the word "mingnon."

As I pointed out I've never seen someone in the Dining Room ever enforce the dress code either on Formal nights as well....as to "mignon" look it up!...means dainty, petite, by in this instance it is slang for "poor person charged with having to deal with this situation"

bdjam.. PA Cannot spell.. It's "Mignon".. Don't know about the slang use but I'll check.. It is a French term meaning dainty, petite and sometimes used as a term for lover... Maybe PA should pay more attention to his surroundings. I have seen many people turned away from the door on formal nights.

Ahh LARGIN look at the top right hand corner.... I live in Montreal and I am french, so naturally I know what mignon means!....As to paying more attention to my surroundings a little more, we'll at 39 I am certainly not as we would say "...je ne suis pas dans la lune!" I think I know what time it is and I am not quite ready for the "Home" just yet!

As I pointed out I've never seen someone in the Dining Room ever enforce the dress code either on Formal nights as well....as to "mignon" look it up!...means dainty, petite, by in this instance it is slang for "poor person charged with having to deal with this situation"

Oh, “mignon.” In your post you had “mingnon.” Mignon must be used differently in Canada…here it refers to a steak when prefaced with “filet.”

In my 15 Princess cruises (oh boy) I have seen people turned away at the door by the "mignon" or, as I prefer to call him, the Maitre De or Headwaiter. On one cruise a family walked in with shorts and tee shirts and sat down at a table - they were approached and disappeared.

As to referring to thr Maitre De as a "small person" I think this is quite nrude - this person has a very responsible and should be treated as a person.

If one does not care to go with the flow he/she should consider the NCL or Winjammer criselines where there are no formal requirements.

This is my humble opinion

Coiran, I never called the Maitre'd in my posting a "mignon"; I said whoever, meaning it could be anybody at the door. I guess it just shows you I am more into relaxing and enjoying my cruise then keeping an eye out on the door and the "shananigans" that supposedly take place when my back is turned or my I am just chowing down...boy oh boy I just must be out of it once I hit that gangway on a cruise ship and miss all the good stuff!

Coiran, I never called the Maitre'd in my posting a "mignon" I said whoever meaning it could be anybody at the door. I guess it just shows you I am more into relaxing and enjoying my cruise then keeping an eye out on the door and the "shananigans" that supposedly take place...boy oh boy I just must be out of it once I hit that gangway on a cruise ship!

Just for the record the incident I have recounted occurred to the people who were in front of me on the way into the dining room. I was not “keeping an eye out on the door.”

I have never sailed Princess before. What would be consider formal for men on the Golden Princess? We are on the Golden doing Western Europe and Trans-Atlantic 8/20/05 - 9/3/05. I normally wear a dark suit or a navy blazer with dark slacks.

What is expected as normal on the ship. PLEASE don't tell me what you desire. ALL I need to know is what is normally acceptable to the ship.

I have no problem with other people dressing down, I don't myself, can't image myself in the dining room in shorts. My cruise happiness doesn't depend upon how another person dresses.

I use to like to wear formal attire. But don't own any formal clothing anymore. I did when I was much younger and alot thinner. I haven't had a tux on in 25 years. I do want to eat in the dining room nightly so if a tux, dinner jacket or something like that is required I can rent one.

I dress up almost daily for work.

Thanks,

Don

Don

The simple response to your question is that either a tuxedo or a dark suit and tie would be appropriate on format night. On our last cruise (Celebrity) my husband was the only one at our table of 10 who wore a tuxedo so he has chosen to take a dark suit and tie on our next cruise. Quite appropriate.

I believe your stories, I just must be in the "zone" or oblivious or blind to these things...I usually get the mundane sightings or experiences; like the deck chair hogs, burpers in the bufffet lines, people who flatuate in an elevator...never seen what you all say transpires at the Dinning Room doors.

Coiran, I never called the Maitre'd in my posting a "mignon"; I said whoever, meaning it could be anybody at the door. QUOTE]

Who do you think would be checking at the door? It is always the Maitre'd or one of the Head Waiters... Reading your post gives me the impression that you have the "It's my cruise and I can wear what I want and do as I please" attitude that I see on this board from time to time.. And since I know that this is probably not true in your case and that you probably do have some fine formal clothes in your wardrobe, I suggest that you should keep the slang "French" phases to yourself.. :eek: :D

I can't handle any more intpretations of the dress code, but feel compelled to add the right defintion of the word minion.

The first defintion is what I usually have heard it used for. Practically, we use it in the office. So and so executive and all their little "minions" that follow him/her around and say yes all the time. I think the poster in this thread used the older, French based origin of the word.

min·ion (mnyn) KEY

NOUN:

1. An obsequious follower or dependent; a sycophant.

2. A subordinate official.

3. One who is highly esteemed or favored; a darling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETYMOLOGY:

French mignon, darling, from Old French mignot, mignon

If I use logic and there's 3 main Dinning rooms I know the Maitre'd is good but he's not that good that he can be in 3 places at once. On many occasions it is a hostess dressed in a black uniform and not even a head waiter...I don't know what ships your sailing...as for my clothing attire...you are partly right...I do have nice clothes and wear them as I feel and appropriately as well. I think what might be somewhat misinterpreted by you and some others that I have a "laissez faire" attitude towards things...and you are partly right again. Whereby I try and bring some balance to the postings on here when I see and (not meaning you) people who just shove these "mandatory" rules...you know "the die hard traditionalists" There has to be some balance on here, otherwise can you imagine the poor soul that signs on for the first time with these you must do this and that???....the last time I was on a ship on the Golden b2b June 1 and June 11/05 the only thing that was mandatory at best was the life boat drill.

and yes the reference to the office people as minion's is absolutely correct...I use it too!

...that's my two cents!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the OP got his answer and ran. When the warden stumbles upon this fight, he is going to put us all in the hole even though we didn't start it. lol. I hear they charge for room service in the hole. :D Where's me tin cup to bang on the bars?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think by black uniform, he may be referring to the black tuxedo slacks with the black vest or jacket and white shirt that they do wear.

But again, I think the OP got his answer and seemed to state where he stood regarding getting dressed up or not.

For the rest of us, I doubt we wllever change our postions on this one and the discussion don't seem to add any light on the subject. They only seem to polarize people. Why do we keep doing this to ourselves? :confused:

Archived