**Jewel of the Seas 9.21.2013 Review**

However, be forewarned, it is a looong walk from the street up to the fort!!!

That is true. There is at least a couple hundred yards from the drop off point on the street to the entrance of El Morro and being a large fort there is quite a bit of open area. The good news is that much of it is relatively flat so a person in decent shape ought to be able to push a chair around fairly readily. There are areas on top of the wall you probably won't be able to get to but I certainly wouldn't let that stop me. For reference you can check an ariel view on google a Earth.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That is true. There is at least a couple hundred yards from the drop off point on the street to the entrance of El Morro and being a large fort there is quite a bit of open area. The good news is that much of it is relatively flat so a person in decent shape ought to be able to push a chair around fairly readily. There are areas on top of the wall you probably won't be able to get to but I certainly wouldn't let that stop me. For reference you can check an ariel view on google a Earth.

Thanks all for the info. Pushing the wheelchair is not an issue. Our normal vacation is Disney World for a week. Now that's a lot of pushing. :eek:

Thanks all for the info. Pushing the wheelchair is not an issue. Our normal vacation is Disney World for a week. Now that's a lot of pushing. :eek:

Did that once a few years ago with my ailing MIL. I agree about Disney. El Morro is a piece of cake compared to that (or Vegas).

Yes, I was going to say this as well. Everyone was taking breaks halfway up the walk, myself included. I know it would be much harder with a wheelchair, so be prepared.

Our last visit to the fort was on Segways! Loved that.:) We were zipping right past everyone on foot. One lady asked if we were on a "handicapped tour".:rolleyes:

Just remember that the long walk up to the fort is mostly uphill. However, it is nicely paved and even all the way. The cobblestone streets of OSJ may be a different issue.

Our last visit to the fort was on Segways! Loved that.:) We were zipping right past everyone on foot. One lady asked if we were on a "handicapped tour".:rolleyes:

Just remember that the long walk up to the fort is mostly uphill. However, it is nicely paved and even all the way. The cobblestone streets of OSJ may be a different issue.

But...on the way back it's mostly downhill! :D We will start long walks in early spring like we do before going to Disney World. Besides...after 2 days of walking in San Juan, we have a 7 day cruise to relax. :D

Virtopia,

I thoroughly enjoyed your review and pictures. We'll be spending a couple of days in PR pre-cruise next week and then onto the Jewel for our cruise. We've sailed on the Serenade before so it was nice to see the similarities/differences of the two ships.

Keep writing reviews of your cruises; you do a great job.

Thanks,

Donna

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone - I really appreciate it!

I know someone asked about the gym times pages back and I'm sorry for the late reply. According to my cruise compass, they are 6am - 10pm.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone - I really appreciate it!

I know someone asked about the gym times pages back and I'm sorry for the late reply. According to my cruise compass, they are 6am - 10pm.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

Hi Virtopia,

That was me. Thank you so much for checking that for me. Really enjoyed your review and pictures!

Hi, I thought only NCL did the "White Hot Party". Never heard of them on RCI...Maybe I'm missing something?????

Some RCI ships that we have sailed have done White Hot themed parties. Specifically the Enchantment & Oasis.

• 3 years later...

After dinner, we went to the Welcome Back show for the Crown and Anchor members; it was a wonderful event with a lot of free drinks! Also, as a waiter shared with me, we are not limited to the drinks they have on the tray, which is great! I ordered a Miami Vice and they had it made, so please take advantage. I wish I had known this all along instead of sipping on champagne.

OMGoodness I did not know the drink thing. As you can see I am only part way through your review. I am enjoying it very much. I will be on the Jewel in 45 days to do a trans-Atlantic and I already read your Italy review, WHICH WAS GREAT, so I thought why not look for the Jewel review. Thank you so much for doing the review..... BTW next time you are in St. Marteen go see the KLM plane fly in. It is amazing. Back to reading your review.