Tom Harper river cruise

Roadlamp

I hate to inform everyone, but Tom Harper is out of business. We had 2 trips booked with them and one was fully paid for. I am bummed. We already filed a complaint with the MA Consumer Complaint Board. Anyone else n this boat??

Greeniz ... I'm sorry to hear that. In my post above there's a link to a thread on another forum, in which other people had reported having their bookings cancelled.

I posted a new thread yesterday here on this message board with a 'heads up' about problems with Tom Harper, but someone must have complained about the thread because it was deleted.

Hopefully you'll be able to get a refund from your credit card company.

p.s. just to add ... it was a short-lived business: http://tomharper.com/blogs/press-releases/8501287-new-river-cruise-company-launches-with-an-epic-experience

Edited by Susan-M

If any of you who want to cruise in Scotland I.e. The Caladonian Canal contact Cally Cruisers in Inverness and hire a cruiser we did this two years ago, okay we are boaters, but narrow boats, they give good pre cruise advice, you can't get lost, it's a beautiful cruise and the natives are friendly. I really do sympathise with all who have been swindled out of their holiday have you tried contacting the Scotish company and hope you had insurance.

CA

Here's a copy of what the Scotland cruise company (that TH had contracted with) posted on the Tripadvisor forum yesterday:

We were very sorry to hear that Tom Harper were unable to come through with the cruises. This is to advise passengers that we are nonetheless proceeding with the cruise on 29th June 2015 sailing from Inverness, and should passengers wish to rebook directly with us - please refer to our website http://www.lordoftheglens.co.uk - or telephone: +44 2073722077.

Magna Carta Steamship Company Limited / Lord of The Glens.

Edited by Susan-M

Run for the hills if you're thinking of cruising with Tom Harper River Cruises. For all I know they are out of business. I sure hope so. We booked a trip to Africa only to find out a week before departing that they did not pay Delta for our plane tickets and they cancelled our hotel in Cape Town. No one is answering the phones at their office. Thank God we paid with a credit card. NEVER EVER BOOK WITH THEM! I doubt we will ever recoup the $1000 deposit.

Another good reason to have travel insurance and an even better reason to get the insurance through a third party. Be really awful to have a company like Tom Harper sell you trip insurance and not use you money for the premium.

Another good reason to have travel insurance and an even better reason to get the insurance through a third party.

I'm curious if there is a travel insurance plan that will cover financial default by a travel agent? My understanding is that you can get trip cancellation coverage in the event that a travel provider (e.g. airline, cruise line or tour operator) goes out of business and ceases operations, but not for financial default by a travel agent (i.e. failing to forward the client's money to the travel provider), as travel agents are supposed to keep their client's money in an escrow account.

Susan: you are right about coverage being for the provider and not the TA. This is why it is wise when working with a TA to make sure that credit card payments go to the service providers and not the TA. The hidden danger that lurks out there is if the provider is providing the insurance for the trip. You add the insurance to your trip cost by choosing (for example) Viking Protection and pay them directly. We all love one stop shopping. :) For whatever reason they then fail to pay X insurance company the group policy fee and the consumer never knows. This can happen when a company is near financial ruin and they need operating dollars to stay afloat. And suddenly the consumer finds out that their trip insurance was never paid for and they are left with no way to recover their loss.

Here is a good reference guide regarding providers: http://petergreenberg.com/2012/10/24/4-ways-to-protect-yourself-if-your-travel-provider-goes-unde/ This next article gives information that is of interest if you are using a TA (it is legal terminology but easy to understand): http://petergreenberg.com/2012/10/24/4-ways-to-protect-yourself-if-your-travel-provider-goes-unde/

The hidden danger that lurks out there is if the provider is providing the insurance for the trip.

Good advice biker:) - I hadn't thought of that potential problem, but we buy insurance independently so it's not a concern for us. In your next post, both links are the same ... but again, a good article to read.

Hopefully those affected by TH's closure will be able to collect from their CC company.

Run for the hills if you're thinking of cruising with Tom Harper River Cruises. For all I know they are out of business. I sure hope so. We booked a trip to Africa only to find out a week before departing that they did not pay Delta for our plane tickets and they cancelled our hotel in Cape Town. No one is answering the phones at their office. Thank God we paid with a credit card. NEVER EVER BOOK WITH THEM! I doubt we will ever recoup the $1000 deposit.

Holy Nightmare!!! We had friends of ours have that happen to them mid-trip in Europe. Company folded and left them stranded without hotels, plane tickets, bus or tour guide. Fortunately another tour company stepped up and provided a bus to complete their trip as well as arranging for hotels and plane tickets to be honored. I checked out their web site yesterday but now I won't even consider them. Thanks for the heads up and be glad you ONLY lost your $1000 deposit.

We were supposed to travel to S Africa with Tom Harper, leaving 5/22/15, fully paid by credit card. Have you already received a credit card refund? Tom Harper never notified us of the cancellation, but the insurance company confirmed that they are out of business. Do you have any additional information? A way to contact others who have the same problem?

I hate to inform everyone, but Tom Harper is out of business. We had 2 trips booked with them and one was fully paid for. I am bummed. We already filed a complaint with the MA Consumer Complaint Board. Anyone else n this boat??

Yes, we were supposed to go to S Africa with them, leaving 5/22/15. Maybe we can form a group to help us get some money back. We know 2 more people who were scheduled to travel with us.

Yes, we were supposed to go to S Africa with them, leaving 5/22/15. Maybe we can form a group to help us get some money back. We know 2 more people who were scheduled to travel with us.

Oh my did you have "Third Party" travel insurance??? What a mess!

Will also be nice to find out how credit card companies handle repayments ( if they don't hide behind the 60 day limit on issuing refunds) since most of us make final payment at 90 days or to get best pricing when we pay in full at the time of booking.

We were supposed to travel to S Africa with Tom Harper, leaving 5/22/15, fully paid by credit card. Have you already received a credit card refund? Tom Harper never notified us of the cancellation, but the insurance company confirmed that they are out of business. Do you have any additional information? A way to contact others who have the same problem?

Maxjayden4

Which insurance company are you referring to in regard to the confirmation that Tom Harper is out of business? What a mess. So sad.

Call your credit card company immediately!!! They might be able to help you..since fraud could be involved.

Call your credit card company immediately!!! They might be able to help you..since fraud could be involved.

We contacted credit card company & are waiting for paperwork. Re: another post on insurance---insurance thru Tom Harper was 3rd party but doesn't cover bankruptcy. Most travel insurance doesn't cover bankruptcy.

If purchased THRU the cruise line you are correct. BUT if you independently go and purchase Travel insurance from an outside insurance company not offered BY OR THRU the Cruise Line then you can obtain default coverage for many companies (not all).

If purchased THRU the cruise line you are correct. BUT if you independently go and purchase Travel insurance from an outside insurance company not offered BY OR THRU the Cruise Line then you can obtain default coverage for many companies (not all).

Not finding your cruise line listed would be a red flag.

We contacted credit card company & are waiting for paperwork. Re: another post on insurance---insurance thru Tom Harper was 3rd party but doesn't cover bankruptcy. Most travel insurance doesn't cover bankruptcy.

This is NOT what I mean by Third Party. You're right if you obtained coverage in any way thru or offered by the company it normally would not include default as a benefit.

But had you purchased thru CSA or Travel Guard or by a company offered thru a company like "insuremytrip or theinsurancestore" or some other insurance agent you may in many cases see default coverage as just one of many benefits. The companies have a list of travel providers (long long list) who they are willing to insure against default. I have never not found my cruise line or travel provider not listed but I sure did make sure that they were there!

Now the question is would Tom Harper been on that list??? They would have had to submit financials that passed the strict scrutiny of some very large insurance companies. I'm betting they did not get themselves approved and betted on the fact that many if not most travelers would not understand the difference. Like the poster I have quoted..... Very sad!

Now the question is would Tom Harper been on that list??? They would have had to submit financials that passed the strict scrutiny of some very large insurance companies. I'm betting they did not get themselves approved and betted on the fact that many if not most travelers would not understand the difference. Like the poster I have quoted..... Very sad!

Actually, some companies (I know TravelGuard is one) simply have a (much shorter) list of providers they AREN'T willing to cover. So in this particular case, TravelGuard customers would have been covered, but Access America or Allianz customers would not have (Harper isn't on their "covered" list.)