Tom Harper river cruise

Roadlamp

I won't fully defend Tom Harper since we don't sail with them until next year (in Scotland) but I am not sure what compensation you expected. You did sail with them, presumably on the same itinerary, so you did get substantial value. I agree you should get something reflecting the difference in value between what you paid for a premium cabin and the cost of a lesser quality cabin, but obviously not a full refund. Most importantly, it again shows why getting travel insurance is so important to cover for services not delivered. In Scotland I know Tom Harper uses a cruise line that sails every week and has for some time, and they have just reserved for a few specific weeks to market in combination with a land portion. I am sorry that you did not get what you paid for and perhaps they will eventually arrive at a more satisfactory resolution. For the future, happy travels.

• 2 weeks later...
Machu Picchu is on the Pacific side of South America and Iguazu Falls is on the Atlantic side. For both geographic and political reasons, "never the twain shall meet."
While Machu Picchu is (considerably) closer to the Pacific than the Atlantic, it is in the Amazon river basin and water from there flows into the Atlantic Ocean. It is slightly less than 48 hours from Cuzco to Iguazu by road. In my somewhat younger years I backpacked via local buses over much of Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay and Argentina (and some of Brazil). Not all of my experience is out of date as I did Machu Picchu (again) and an Amazon cruise last year. Seeing Machu Picchu and Iguazu can be definitely be done in the same trip, and incredibly cheaply if you travel on the local economy. For those not quite so adventurously inclined there are companies (Grand Circle comes to mind) who have trips with extensions that will get you to both.

Thom

While Machu Picchu is (considerably) closer to the Pacific than the Atlantic, it is in the Amazon river basin and water from there flows into the Atlantic Ocean. It is slightly less than 48 hours from Cuzco to Iguazu by road. In my somewhat younger years I backpacked via local buses over much of Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay and Argentina (and some of Brazil). Not all of my experience is out of date as I did Machu Picchu (again) and an Amazon cruise last year. Seeing Machu Picchu and Iguazu can be definitely be done in the same trip, and incredibly cheaply if you travel on the local economy. For those not quite so adventurously inclined there are companies (Grand Circle comes to mind) who have trips with extensions that will get you to both.

Thom

This would be great news, but I just searched the gct.com website and can't find any trips to either Iguazu Falls nor Machu Picchu. Can you share a link?

• 1 month later...
Glad to read your comments, as a friend & I are doing the Tom Harper river cruise to Scotland in May. Their itineraries do sound intriquing. Hopefully, this cruise will be as good as the one you took to Russia, as I could do a few more from their brochure!

Just received Tom Harper River Cruise brochure and am very interested in Scotland trip. Cannot wait to hear your feedback after your trip.

This would be great news, but I just searched the gct.com website and can't find any trips to either Iguazu Falls nor Machu Picchu. Can you share a link?
Jazzbeau

Sorry for the late response, but I never was notified of your question, and only because Portafella posted today on this thread did I see your question.

GCT does not have a base trip that includes both Iguazu Falls and Machu Picchu, but if you look at https://www.gct.com/trips?f=y!2015.r!South%2BAmerica.c!Chile that trip offers an Iguazu Falls extension on one end and a Machu Picchu extension on the other. The Lake District in Patagonia in the middle of this trip is one of my favorite areas, although my personal preference would be to do Puerto Varas to Bariloche by way of the lakes crossing (bus to Lago Totos Los Santos ferry to bus to Lago Frias ferry to bus to Lago Nahuel Huapi ferry; doable in one day or may be broken in the middle) rather than by land.

Thom

Edited by TravelerThom

Jazzbeau

Sorry for the late response, but I never was notified of your question, and only because Portafella posted today on this thread did I see your question.

GCT does not have a base trip that includes both Iguazu Falls and Machu Picchu, but if you look at https://www.gct.com/trips?f=y!2015.r!South%2BAmerica.c!Chile that trip offers an Iguazu Falls extension on one end and a Machu Picchu extension on the other. The Lake District in Patagonia in the middle of this trip is one of my favorite areas, although my personal preference would be to do Puerto Varas to Bariloche by way of the lakes crossing (bus to Lago Totos Los Santos ferry to bus to Lago Frias ferry to bus to Lago Nahuel Huapi ferry; doable in one day or may be broken in the middle) rather than by land.

Thom

Thanks!

Good to hear some positive comments about this company. We're considering doing their Machu Picchu tour. I'd really prefer a tour that did both Machu Picchu and Iguazu falls. If anyone has any recommendations let us know.

Irene

I think Vantage does it, no cruise! A pre-trip extension to Machu Pichu, then the main trip starts, includes Chile, Argentina with Iguacu and Buenos Aires and ends in Rio. That's what my neighbors told me.

I think Vantage does it, no cruise! A pre-trip extension to Machu Pichu, then the main trip starts, includes Chile, Argentina with Iguacu and Buenos Aires and ends in Rio. That's what my neighbors told me.
http://www.vantagetravel.com/ourjourneys/discovery-land-tours/2015/south-america-chile-argentina-uruguay-brazil/itinerary/itinerary%20at%20a%20glance

Yes, that's the trip they took. They liked it, but it wouldn't be my cup of tea with all that city hopping.

Me too. I kept looking for the river cruise part. I was hoping to combine a river cruise on the upper Amazon with Machu Picchu and Iguazu Falls -- but I see on the map that the Falls are very far away from the other two. Oh well, more separate items for the bucket list!

We took that Vantage tour in 2009 and really enjoyed it. Taking the boat ride under the falls was an experience!!

here is the link to our trip story

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/southamerica2009.pdf

We are happy to answer any questions.

I visited Macchu Pichu when i was sailing on Silverseas. I combined it with a Galapagos tour.

Me too. I kept looking for the river cruise part. I was hoping to combine a river cruise on the upper Amazon with Machu Picchu and Iguazu Falls -- but I see on the map that the Falls are very far away from the other two. Oh well, more separate items for the bucket list!
It is THEORETICALLY possible to go from Machu Picchu down the Urubamba River through the Pongo de Mainique (a lot of white water rapids are involved), merge with the Tambo River to form the Ucayali River, and in turn merge with the Marañón River to form the Amazon above Iquitos (which despite a population of almost half a million has no outside the area road connections). There are a few small river cruise boats marketed in the US on the Ucayali,the Marañón and the Amazon (I have been on them), and a lot of local boats and ferries not sold in the US. The Brazilian Amazon has larger river cruise boats, and you can catch cruises out of Florida that go the thousand miles up the Amazon to Manaus.

There are also local boats on the Parana River near Iguazu, and it is possible to get down to Buenos Aires by boat (many seasonally dependent), but nothing marketed in the US that I know of. So pretty much Machu Picchu, the Amazon and Iguazu require non-water connections. I have been to all three, and IMO all deserve a place on your bucket list.

Thom

Many companies offer Machu Pichu tours combined with a river cruise from Iquito. You fly between Cusco and Iquito.

We preferred to book the wonderful Napo River Lodge in Ecuador. Getting there is a cruise of a different kind. Much closer to the jungle than anything directly on the wide Amazon. There are also two luxurious boutique cruise ships on the Napo, a tributary of a tributary of the Amazon.

• 1 month later...

Figal2011 plans to go in May on the Tom Harper Scotland Cruise.

I recently received their brochure and that trip is of interest to me. I would appreciate hearing all about it when you return.

If you have taken other river cruises would like a comparison.

How was the ship, food and sights. Also the quality of tour guides on the trip.

Any information would be helpful because it is not an inexpensive trip.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to read your comments, as a friend & I are doing the Tom Harper river cruise to Scotland in May. Their itineraries do sound intriquing. Hopefully, this cruise will be as good as the one you took to Russia, as I could do a few more from their brochure!

I also was glad to hear such a nice review of Tom Harper as my husband and I will be going on their May Scotland cruise! We are so looking forward to it! Glad to provide feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by crazy4ewe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread was posted a few days ago on the TA forum in which the poster advises that they and others were advised 2 days in advance of their May 9th Tom Harper Scotland cruise that they weren't going to be allowed on the cruise. Her details are vague (other than to say that they were advised by the boat owner that Tom Harper did not comply with the terms of the contract).

She hasn't come back to post again ... with any luck, maybe the situation was resolved.:confused:

Did the May Harper riverboat cruise, Moscow to St. Petersburg - recommend it highly - was my first cruise - a fantastic trip, extremely well organized, very nice boat ("Alexander Pushkin"). Took in all the major sights in Moscow and St.Petersurg (did the two day extension there!), plus five most interesting stops as we sailed north. You will not go wrong by taking this cruise.

I thought that boat was owned by Croisi? They have a "Dream Cruises" show all about it on the AWE Channel and they showed that it was owned, or operated by, Croisi.

I thought that boat was owned by Croisi? They have a "Dream Cruises" show all about it on the AWE Channel and they showed that it was owned, or operated by, Croisi.

I bet they probably charter the ship or book a group

Tom Harper does not own the ships