Off of the Fantasy today =[

Looking forward to your review, especially embark/debark at Charleston Terminal. We live 2-3 hours away and haven't ailed there yet as we have read too many reviews about the Terminal area being a big mess. I guess we need to jut sail from Charleston and determine for ourselves.

Looking forward to your review, especially embark/debark at Charleston Terminal. We live 2-3 hours away and haven't ailed there yet as we have read too many reviews about the Terminal area being a big mess. I guess we need to jut sail from Charleston and determine for ourselves.

Charleston's terminal is VERY different from others. It does have a usually easy embarkation once you get thru the gates. I have DROPPED off family and friends. From the time I pulled thru the gate, drop off there luggage, and then them, they are usually sitting on the Lido deck within 30-45 mins!

Don't arrive too much before 11am, that's when they usually open the gates.

Yes, you must try it for yourselves... :)

It absolutely is NOT a big mess. I'm guessing you haven't kept up with what some of us have posted in the All Things Fantasy thread. They do a great job with very limited facilities and keep things running very smoothly given those limitations.

They have to disembark everyone, get everyone through customs and out of that building, then convert it from luggage/customs over the scanners/check-in/photos; then they stagger the scanning/check-in by shuttling everyone whether parking or drop-off. So, they have a rather small window for boarding. The people who are used to showing up at 10 am are going to be disappointed (assuming they also have not read that thread), because you simply cannot board extra early. Once you realize the situation there and how they handle it, you should arrive at the correct time and with reasonable expectations of the boarding procedures.

Anyway, OP, glad you enjoyed her. She used to be my least-favorite ship, but now that I've spent almost 40 nights on her, I'm rather fond of the old gal! :D

It absolutely is NOT a big mess. I'm guessing you haven't kept up with what some of us have posted in the All Things Fantasy thread. They do a great job with very limited facilities and keep things running very smoothly given those limitations.

They have to disembark everyone, get everyone through customs and out of that building, then convert it from luggage/customs over the scanners/check-in/photos; then they stagger the scanning/check-in by shuttling everyone whether parking or drop-off. So, they have a rather small window for boarding. The people who are used to showing up at 10 am are going to be disappointed (assuming they also have not read that thread), because you simply cannot board extra early. Once you realize the situation there and how they handle it, you should arrive at the correct time and with reasonable expectations of the boarding procedures.

Anyway, OP, glad you enjoyed her. She used to be my least-favorite ship, but now that I've spent almost 40 nights on her, I'm rather fond of the old gal! :D

Actually, I haven't been following the thread you referred to. Basically are you saying do not arrive prior to 11 am?

I found boarding a little funny - if you are one of the first cars just winding through the parking lot of cones - but I agree, it wasn't a mess. Just be prepared to maybe ask a question or two to get directed to the right entrance and then if you know about the two minute shuttle ride, it sort of turns into the start of the party :-) Everyone is in a good mood and has their limbo on.

Looking forward to the review - so glad you had a good time!

I have sailed twice out of Charleston and they do make the best out of what they have been given at this port. When you arrive via car you wind through an orange cone maze. There are several stops along this path, including a stop to check your tickets, drop of luggage, pay for parking, park in garage, board bus that takes you to terminal and then check in at terminal. Staff are very friendly and helpful and despite all the steps/stops it goes very smoothly. TIPS-have your luggage tagged and ready for drop off when you arrive. Have cash ready to pay for parking. Although it took a little while to go through security it wasn't painful. It is just difficult to wait in line when you are excited about getting a trip started.--We always arrive around 1:30-2-to avoid the huge crowd of people who arrive early to board first.

Thank you all for your positive encouragement to do a review :)

I'm hoping to get started on it today...I'm really not feeling all that well. I guess I have a bad case of sea legs, lol. I keep feeling like I'm going to fall over and I keep getting super dizzy.

Hope you start feeling better.....we'll be waiting......

How early would you guestimate that Platinum guests will be allowed to board. I have not typically been pressed about when I arrive to port, but I arrived really early the last time I cruised because I took a hotel shuttle that had a predesignated time. I was concerned that we would be at the port way too early, but it turned out we only had to wait about a 1/2 hour in the VIP lounge before boarding. I was the 1st passenger on board & it was very cool. :D I'm not thinking that will happen again, but would still like to get on as early as possible from now on.

Thank you all for your positive encouragement to do a review :)

I'm hoping to get started on it today...I'm really not feeling all that well. I guess I have a bad case of sea legs, lol. I keep feeling like I'm going to fall over and I keep getting super dizzy.

That's called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome. If you were taking anything for seasickness during the cruise, you might want to continue with that to feel better.

Archived