waterproof cameras for snorkeling

pandarider123

I'm going snorkeling and want to capture underwater, I'm purchasing my first under water camera. Are they dependable seems like Every waterproof camera I see on amazon has one or two people saying got ruined by water. Anyone have any experience with waterproof cameras in 200 to 500$ range.

There probably no perfect underwater camera and if you don't wash it with fresh water to get rid of the salt and sand then the seals aren't going to last very long. I have been using a Canon D10 for coming up 4 years and have been very pleased with it. It is now out of production but I believe can still be had thru Amazon. The D10's replacement is the D20 which I have no experience with.

I have an Olympus Tough - under $200. It takes very nice underwater and outdoor photos with really good color and clarity. Only drawback - it does not take very good photos inside the ship in the evenings so we use our older digital camera for that. We've had it on 4 cruises with lots of snorkeling and beach days - very reliable - never a leak!

By far the best place on Cruise Critic to get your question answered is Photo and Camera Discussion Board. This link will take you there and if this was me this is where I would post my question. I have gotten all of my photo/camera related questions answered there and there is a lot of expertise on that board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Keith

I got a Nikon S31 at a pawn shop for just this trip and it cost me 40.00. 10 mp and it uses regular AA batteries, not rechargeable, which I like for this trip. Nothing like being out and abt and lose battery life and not be able to charge it. Nice to be able to pop in another pair.

It came with 30 day warranty and I already tested it out and it works perfectly.

Edited by JustCruiseMe

I started with a Canon D10 as well 3 years ago. I loved it so much that I purchased a second one for the hubby to use so we didn't fight over who got it when snorkeling. :p

A few cruises ago, I left my extra batteries and chargers still plugged into the wall at home and was forced to purchase a new camera (after the 2 cameras I had with me finally killed the charged battery in them). I ended up with an Olympus Tough. I have to say this is my new FAVORITE camera. It does an awesome job both snorkeling and on land. You can check out any of my reviews and see the pictures either of these cameras take. The Olympus just has more features than the Canon (including my favorite tilt shift photos) and the pano is really simple to use, plus it's less bulky than the Canon and the video is much easier to use on the Olympus (you just simply press a button to turn it on instead of having to go into the settings to change it to video).

Did you block me on AOL mitsu? And are you talking about this camera? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007E84I1S

Its the one I'm leaning towarss

We were talking on Yahoo I thought. No, I didn't block you. Message me if you need to. ;)

I believe that's the updated version of what I have. They didn't have that one when I purchased mine (I got mine on the ship).

I have the 620 maybe? It's 6___ something.

I'm going snorkeling and want to capture underwater, I'm purchasing my first under water camera. Are they dependable seems like Every waterproof camera I see on amazon has one or two people saying got ruined by water. Anyone have any experience with waterproof cameras in 200 to 500$ range.

My husband and I went snorkeling on our last cruise and we just bought 2 Kodak underwater cameras and they worked great :) I believe they were around $10 to $15, and the pictures developed great!

We are going snorkeling again on our upcoming cruise and I'm definitely going to be getting the same camera :)

• 5 weeks later...

I have both the waterproof pouch for my iPhone and the underwater cameras for our upcoming cruise. I've noted with the pouch I can't swipe my screen so I have to have it in camera mode before I go under water. Hope that makes sense. As for the underwater cameras I was told they work great but if you go in see water make sure to rinse them after getting out of the water with some regular water otherwise the salt has adverse effects on your film. (I didn't know that until my friend that is a professional photographer gave me that tip).