Zydecocruiser's Carnival Legend British Isles Cruise, Sept 13-25, 2013 Photo Review

Sargent_Schultz

Zydocruiser...mucho gracias once again...i am so excited because I have a prayer partner in a prayer group i am in..who i met at a different site that did not work for both of us and we found each other again..those odds are unbelievable, whilst seeking a more compatible we site; and then she sent me beautiful things...tourist books on the roots of my Episcopal church and her town, Canterburry..she is English Anglican and has had many/most important family things at a smaller church there. Our group is eccumenical but we share important to us roots..so happy you are sharing as usual fabulous photos and it makes me feel so much closer and makes it real..in mind and heart; " wowowo this place is real..people go there..I have a prayer partner there...WOW..THANKS!!!" Thanks so...sarah

Sarah

Plus I am English, Irish, Scot, mostly and a little German..healthy Mutt..For the Brittish Isles, have just been to Dover or Calais from France and then London and a few day trips..too long ago..again..this is just great...thanks for doing it..anyone that does this is just great..LOVE the photo reviews..thank you VERY MUCH...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

great pics as always... 2 questions...

What is the story as to why that is the only, um 'orange' building?

and, what is that? :)

To me, it looks like they had to rebuilt a portion of the castle that may have been destroyed. I agree that the difference in color looks a bit... odd. It would've looked a lot better had they used a grey stone that would've blended more. Regardless, the castle is absolutely beautiful.

The mounds could be just be how they've chosen to manicure their lawns. My imaginative side wants to believe that it's an Aos Sí or Sidhe mound (fairy mound), but it looks too well maintained to be that. I think I've just been reading too much Celtic folklore lately. :p

great pics as always... 2 questions...

DSC_3969_Zyde.jpg

what is the story as to why that is the only, um 'orange' building?

and, what is that? :)

Thank you.

Google is my friend.

Strange colors, like orange, come from a lime-wash which they do periodically. It is the same stone.

The mounds are/were the formal gardens. The mounds themselves are known as the King's Knot.

http://www.stirlingcastle.gov.uk/home/experience/story/castlegardens.htm

Zydocruiser...mucho gracias once again...i am so excited because I have a prayer partner in a prayer group i am in..who i met at a different site that did not work for both of us and we found each other again..those odds are unbelievable, whilst seeking a more compatible we site; and then she sent me beautiful things...tourist books on the roots of my Episcopal church and her town, Canterburry..she is English Anglican and has had many/most important family things at a smaller church there. Our group is eccumenical but we share important to us roots..so happy you are sharing as usual fabulous photos and it makes me feel so much closer and makes it real..in mind and heart; " wowowo this place is real..people go there..I have a prayer partner there...WOW..THANKS!!!" Thanks so...sarah

Sarah

Plus I am English, Irish, Scot, mostly and a little German..healthy Mutt..For the Brittish Isles, have just been to Dover or Calais from France and then London and a few day trips..too long ago..again..this is just great...thanks for doing it..anyone that does this is just great..LOVE the photo reviews..thank you VERY MUCH...Sarah

You're welcome and thank you. I'm a bit of Heinz myself. We spent 3 days in London after the cruise and some pictures from there will be coming up, as well as the surrounding area.

To me, it looks like they had to rebuilt a portion of the castle that may have been destroyed. I agree that the difference in color looks a bit... odd. It would've looked a lot better had they used a grey stone that would've blended more. Regardless, the castle is absolutely beautiful.

The mounds could be just be how they've chosen to manicure their lawns. My imaginative side wants to believe that it's an Aos Sí or Sidhe mound (fairy mound), but it looks too well maintained to be that. I think I've just been reading too much Celtic folklore lately. :p

There are still many who believe in fairies.

Dublin is the home of Carnival Senior Maitre d' Ken Byrne. We were disappointed that he was not on our cruise. One of his best friends is Philip O'Leary who happens to be a taxi driver in Dublin. We made arrangements with him for a taxi tour! As it turns out, Philip has a van which would have been a waste for just 2 people, so Philip arranged for Charlie to be our driver for the day while Philip hauled around a party of 4. We more or less did the same tour and met up with each other several times during the day.

The weather was rainy much of the time, so we missed (mist?) some of the beauty, but there was still plenty to see and lots of fun to be had.

Entering the harbor

DSC_4213_Zyde.jpg

Our driver

DSC_4214_Zyde.jpg

Howth Castle

DSC_4217_Zyde.jpg

DSC_4218_Zyde.jpg

not quite sure why, but Deer Park Hotel

DSC_4221_Zyde.jpg