Zydecocruiser's Carnival Legend British Isles Cruise, Sept 13-25, 2013 Photo Review

Sargent_Schultz

DSC_2472_Zyde.jpg

I love this photo. Especially with the reflection in the water.

Thank you.

I prefer regular peas. Sometime last century I lived in London for a year. To this day I still haven't had another brussel sprout.

I agree mushy peas are gross. Was forced to eat them at school dinners in the convent school I attended in my teens.

Now brussel sprouts are delicious, just don't overcook them. A tradition at Christmas dinners.

Love love your photos. Thank you.

I agree mushy peas are gross. Was forced to eat them at school dinners in the convent school I attended in my teens.

Now brussel sprouts are delicious, just don't overcook them. A tradition at Christmas dinners.

Brussels sprouts pan fried in bacon fat and garlic, topped with crumbled bacon...divine!!

Wow am I glad i clicked on this review. Great pics, thanks for sharing! It will be many years before I can do a trip like this.

Thank you and you're welcome. It may be many years before any of us can do this one again. Carnival doesn't do the British Isles very often. :mad:

Enjoying your review. Your photos are absolutely amazing!

Thank you!

When I lived in England, brussell sprouts were served EVERY night. Yuck. I could handle the tomato soup and french fries almost every night, but not those brussel sprouts.

Love the pictures Sarge, so miss my mushy peas. Wish I were back in the UK!

Thank you. You may have my share.

It only took a few minutes to get to the port and check in was probably the smoothest ever. At the other end, I know disembarkation was the best ever.

We boarded the ship immediately and headed for our stateroom. One of our pieces of luggage even beat us there! The rest weren't far behind. :)

View from our balcony

DSC_2664_Zyde.jpg

DSC_2665_Zyde.jpg

Dover Castle and some White Cliffs

DSC_2666_Zyde.jpg

I had heard that the itinerary was changing but was sure to what. I started alerting a couple of private tours that things were changing.

I suppose it is time for a soapbox

Because of bad weather in the North Sea, the port schedule was rearranged. we lost Belfast as a port, but picked up Liverpool. If we had tried to make it to Stavanger, Norway (the original first port), we would have been unable to leave and would have been stuck there for a few days until the weather cleared.

Which brings up the interesting topic of private shore excursions vs booking through the cruise line. Sure you can save money booking privately but also accept all risk associated with doing so, including if the port schedule changes. Carnival was kind enough to allow free phone calls for those with private excursions to call the operators, but was under no obligation to do so. The only port I needed to worry about, and as it turned out not really, was Stavanger. I have a world phone and called up the operator for our tour, but they already knew about the schedule change and certainly knew more about it than I did. Oh well. Anyway, no problems as a result of the new schedule.

You might not save as much as you think. We did a mix of ship tours and private tours and some of the differences I noticed are that with the ship tours, admissions to sites are included. Usually the tour guide will go into the sites with you, and provide information as well as help you get the most out of limited time at a site. That wasn't always the case with the private tours. Finaly, for all day tours, meals are included with the ship tours and generally not with private tours.

Okay, end of PSA.

No flat screen TVs (yet). and a self-portait :o

DSC_2676_Zyde.jpg

We were on the same cruise as you...same type of stateroom (extended balcony)...we had the flatscreen tv. But my brother next door did not have the flatscreen. I guess they are replacing them as needed. But, let me tell ya...the picture on the flat screen was awful! Even called about it to see if we could get it fixed or replaced. The best they did was have my room steward come take a look at it. (He's not a tv repair guy!) Never did send maintenence about it. Figured out the problem was, if you were tall, and standing up looking at it straight on, the picture was fine. If you were shorter or lying on the bed, or sitting on the sofa, looking up at it, the picture took on a really dark contrast. Finally decided the only time we really watched tv was to fall asleep, so no big deal and didn't persue the matter with customer service.

We were on the same cruise as you...same type of stateroom (extended balcony)...we had the flatscreen tv. But my brother next door did not have the flatscreen. I guess they are replacing them as needed. But, let me tell ya...the picture on the flat screen was awful! Even called about it to see if we could get it fixed or replaced. The best they did was have my room steward come take a look at it. (He's not a tv repair guy!) Never did send maintenence about it. Figured out the problem was, if you were tall, and standing up looking at it straight on, the picture was fine. If you were shorter or lying on the bed, or sitting on the sofa, looking up at it, the picture took on a really dark contrast. Finally decided the only time we really watched tv was to fall asleep, so no big deal and didn't persue the matter with customer service.

Sounds like maybe when the old ones break they replace with flat screens but haven't upgraded the signal going to the TVs yet. The ship is due for a dry dock next Feb when I imagine they will be doing lots of upgrades.