Mini Van Rental from Venice To Siwtzerland

rhinomike

After we get off the Spirit at Venice in June.... we are going to explore Europe for another week. I am looking to rent a mini van somewhere in Venice (probably the airport). I want to take the vehicle one way and drop it off at the airport in Geneva, Switzerland. I have checked with the major car companies without luck. But are there any other small companies that I don't know about. Maybe a rental car counter at the port?

Auto Europe dot com is a broker representing various rental companies throughout Europe. They even offer some that have deductible payback rates or no deductible insurance rates.

While they represent the major companies, they sometimes use local alternatives as well.

One way rentals in Europe are a real problem. It can be done, but most of the time there will be a big drop charge. We agree with the previous post that you should look at (and feel free to call them) Autoeurope (and their sister company called Kemwel). This company is locate in Maine and is a major "consolidator" or discounter for the major rental car companies. They will normally work with both Europcar and Hertz and get you better rates then you can get by booking direct. Their only caveat is that you must rent for a minimum of 3 days.

As to renting a mini-van in Venice...both Hertz and Europcar (and probably Budget and Sixt) should be able to handle that request if you reserve in advance. No need to go out to the airport as you can usually pick-up rental cars at the rental car offices located near the Piazale Roma.

Not sure you are aware that you will need to purchase a Vignette (road tax sticker) when you enter Switzerland (you need this to drive on any major road) which will cost you 33 Euros. The Vignette is good for a year so sometimes you get lucky and get a rental car that already has one on the windshield.

Hank

Back about 9 years ago, the hubby and I did a trip similar to what you want to do. Rented through AutoEurope and ended up with a Peugeot from Hertz. Got it out of Piazele Roma. Drove through the Dolomites into Austria, then over to Switzerland and St. Moritz, down through to Lugano and Lake Como to end in Milan. It's a wonderful trip!!! I have no idea how much it cost, but it was worth every penny we spent!!!

You also need a vignette if you are going to drive into Austria. You can pick it up on the road at the gas stations near the border.

You need to check the rates VERY carefully. We tried to rent a car in Barcelona some years ago to drive to Paris. Everything looked great until we got to the very last total--a 900E 'drop fee'. So, we took the train from Barcelona just over the French border to Perpignan and rented our car there for a very reasonable rate.

This year we arrived on a TA in Rome. After a few days we took the train over the Alps to Lyon and again rented a car. We have had excellent luck with Europcar, and got our car for one week, dropping in Paris, for $123. That's dollars. That's cheap!!!

Having said that, if you have any success finding a decent one way rental from Venice into Switzerland or Austria, I'd love to hear about it because we'd like to do that next year.

Great. Thank you for all of the advice. It really helps. I called Europcar. They had what I needed for $2k. Got ready to book it when Avis called me back and got me a van for $1k. So I reserved it with Avis. It's only a 3 day rental but since it is one way it cost more. We are ok with that.

You need to check the rates VERY carefully. We tried to rent a car in Barcelona some years ago to drive to Paris. Everything looked great until we got to the very last total--a 900E 'drop fee'. So, we took the train from Barcelona just over the French border to Perpignan and rented our car there for a very reasonable rate.

This year we arrived on a TA in Rome. After a few days we took the train over the Alps to Lyon and again rented a car. We have had excellent luck with Europcar, and got our car for one week, dropping in Paris, for $123. That's dollars. That's cheap!!!

Having said that, if you have any success finding a decent one way rental from Venice into Switzerland or Austria, I'd love to hear about it because we'd like to do that next year.

I will let you know how our trip goes. We will visit 12 countries and be gone for a month. We have never been to Europe, that far from home or gone that long. It will be me, my wife and our 4 boys (ages 14 to 18). We are trying to make it a "trip of a lifetime".

We fly out of LAX on June 4th via Virgin Atlantic. I went ahead and booked first class. $31k for the 6 of us. Not too bad for first class but ouch. Lol. We fly to London. Spend 2 days in London. Then take Eurorail to Paris. Spend 2 days in Paris then fly to Barcelona. 2 days in Barcelona then we board the NCL Spirit for a 12 day cruise. We booked 2 Connecting suites. Gonna enjoy the Suite perks. We visit France, numerous ports in Italy, Greece and Turkey. Once we debatk in Venice we get a rental car. We will drive through Austria and into Germany. Spend the night in Munich and visit Dochau. Then drive to Zurich and spend the night. Drive thru Switzerland and spend the night in Geneva. Fly out of Geneva to Amsterdam. Spend a night in Amsterdam then drive to Brussels. Spend the night in Brussels then fly to Dublin. 2 nights in Dublin then we drive across Ireland to Bellfast. A night in Bellfast then we fly back to London for a night. Then fly from London to LAX.

Very bust but should be fun.

Archived