Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review!

louhun88

Hi

Really enjoying your review. I do hope they offer the discounted drinks packages next Summer, it is not worth buying otherwise.

Did you hear what enhancements Adventure is getting in the refit? I am hoping she is getting a Park Café.

Do you have any of the dining room menus?

The only thing we heard was that next year there will be a drydock for matienence only and the new enhancements won't take place until 2016, this was according to the Hotel Director! :(

I so missed the Park Cafe after sailing Splendour earlier this year - those roast beef rolls and lovely desserts last thing at night were great :D

Great review! We are sailing on Adventure of the Seas next week and this is really useful.

With the drinks package, did you always feel under pressure to go back up to the bar and get more drinks? Were the bars busy and did it take a long time to be served?

We didn't feel any pressure at all, if we wanted a drink we had one if not we didn't. Some of the bars were busier than others (Imperial Lounge during shows and theatre etc) but you still weren't waiting long for a drink. The pub, sports bar and the Cafe Promenade were the least busy but there wasn't a lot of seating.

If Agnelo or Mohammed is still at the Cafe Promenade they will take great care of you and make excellent drinks but this is where everyone queues for Starbucks and newspapers so can be quite busy at times.

I agree! I find it fascinating that, when AOS is in the Caribbean, they find Caribbean-related names for all those fantastic Mediterranean cocktails. :D

Ours were named after some of the ports but oddly not offered on the days when we were in those particular ports!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

its on the RCI uk website

Adventure of the Seas - Refreshed in 2014

Adventure of the Seas is being refreshed in early 2014, featuring exciting new additions to the onboard experience!

Dine Italian style in the brand new Giovanni's Table, or enjoy a sweet treat in the Cupcake Cupboard with new flavours every day. An outdoor movie screen will be on deck 11 for guests to enjoy a film or watch sporting events while relaxing around the main pool.

A Royal Babies & Tots nursery will be available to entertain our littlest guests. New staterooms and multiple advancements in technology are just some of the incredible additions to this ship.

Adventure of the Seas will debut her newest innovations from April 2014 as she sails from Southampton, offering Northern Europe &Mediterranean cruises.

Adventure of the Seas is being refreshed in early 2014, featuring exciting new additions to the onboard experience!

Dine Italian style in the brand new Giovanni's Table, or enjoy a sweet treat in the Cupcake Cupboard with new flavours every day. An outdoor movie screen will be on deck 11 for guests to enjoy a film or watch sporting events while relaxing around the main pool.

A Royal Babies & Tots nursery will be available to entertain our littlest guests. New staterooms and multiple advancements in technology are just some of the incredible additions to this ship.

Adventure of the Seas will debut her newest innovations from April 2014 as she sails from Southampton, offering Northern Europe &Mediterranean cruises.

Someone put this to the hotel director during the question & answer and he did it had been pushed back until 2016 as nonenobof these things were necessary the now, it just needed minor matinenece!

Adventure's drydock was cut back from 30 days to 10.

In April she will definitely have the movie screen, Giovanni's, pervasive Wifi.

The new cabins will be added in 2016.

I never heard about Cupcake cupboard being added , it wasn't added to Mariner, same class of ship. On Liberty and Indie the Close shave venue was swapped for Cupcake, on Adventure I can't visualise an area for it to be added but look foreward to finding out on our future cruises on her:) She is a wonderful ship despite her age and the crew onboard are some of the best.

Our first port of call on this cruise was Gibraltar, we've been here before and last time took the port shuttles into town but this time thought it didn't seem to far so we'd just walk - it is actually quite a walk when it's so warm!

The Thomson Dream was also in port with us so Gibraltar was quite crowded especially since a lot of the shops/cafes are quite small. We had a wander round the town, did a bit of shopping (lovely jewellers selling Thomas Sabo with 25% off, wish i'd bought more!) then headed to Ocean Village complex for a drink on the way back to the ship.

We did notice that drinks and food prices had definately increased since our last visit to Gibraltar which was a pity but i suppose it may have something to do with the issues they're having at the moment.

Our next port of call was Barcelona, the port offered shuttle buses into the town for 3.50 Euro return per person and dropped you off across from the marina and at the bottom of Las Ramblas. The queues were very long for the buses though!

Also in port today were Island Escape, MSC Orchestra and a Regent cruise ship.

We've been here quite a few times over the years so didn't have any excursions planned, we headed along to the marina after getting off the bus as we normally head up Las Ramblas but last time thought it had gone very downhill.

The marina has a 3 storey shopping centre with some quite good shops and a couple of bars/restaurants which is nice to pass the time and get a bit of retail therapy.

We decided to head back to the ship fairly early and it was lovely & quiet as so many people were spending a lot of time ashore or had excursions!

Our next and my favourite port of call was Villefranche Sur Mer, this was a tender port which you needed a tickets for - these could be colllected in the Imperial Lounge from 8am i think it was? We weren't wanting off the ship early so never went for tickets until 1030pm and our tender number was called around 11am so not a long wait.

I was expecting the usual tender's aka ship's lifeboats but instead we had boats from the port and they were much better - a lot larger and smoother ride. MSC Orchestra was also in port and they were using their lifeboats as tenders so i guess we got preferential treatment!

The journey from the ship to the shore was only about 7 minutes which i was very glad about as my last journey on a tender was awful when we were in Croatia a few months ago!

Viilefranche is absolutely gorgeous, it's so picturesque and peaceful. This is definetly a place i could easily spend a week's holiday although i may need a credit card with a seriously high limit as it's not the cheapest place in the world!

We had a wander round the town and the market then went for something to eat and drink at Les Palmiers which is just across from the market. I couldn't go to France and not try a proper tarte tatin - absolutely delicious and 10 times better than one i've tried here in the UK! This restaurant also does a lovely bottle of house wine which goes so nicely with the lovely desserts :p

We probably spent the most time ashore here as i think we got the 2nd last tender back to the ship but it was a great day and is definately somewhere i intend to visit again but probably not by cruise ship.

We are booked on AOS 8 May'14

First time on a "biggie" cruised three times with Thomson Cruises & Airtours!!

Tho I've bee. Thinking back and my first was on Cunard Princess. That wasn't today or yesterday. She's still on the go but changed companies a few times!

Anyway Hope to chat soon.

Ttfn Gx

Our next and my favourite port of call was Villefranche Sur Mer, this was a tender port which you needed a tickets for - these could be colllected in the Imperial Lounge from 8am i think it was? We weren't wanting off the ship early so never went for tickets until 1030pm and our tender number was called around 11am so not a long wait.

I was expecting the usual tender's aka ship's lifeboats but instead we had boats from the port and they were much better - a lot larger and smoother ride. MSC Orchestra was also in port and they were using their lifeboats as tenders so i guess we got preferential treatment!

The journey from the ship to the shore was only about 7 minutes which i was very glad about as my last journey on a tender was awful when we were in Croatia a few months ago!

Viilefranche is absolutely gorgeous, it's so picturesque and peaceful. This is definetly a place i could easily spend a week's holiday although i may need a credit card with a seriously high limit as it's not the cheapest place in the world!

We had a wander round the town and the market then went for something to eat and drink at Les Palmiers which is just across from the market. I couldn't go to France and not try a proper tarte tatin - absolutely delicious and 10 times better than one i've tried here in the UK! This restaurant also does a lovely bottle of house wine which goes so nicely with the lovely desserts :p

We probably spent the most time ashore here as i think we got the 2nd last tender back to the ship but it was a great day and is definately somewhere i intend to visit again but probably not by cruise ship.

I absolutely agree with you about Villefranche sur Mer, lovely place :)

Hi Lou, eagerly awaiting more of your great review! Thank you for taking the time to write what you have so far, some really useful info for us prospective Adventure cruisers from Southampton!

I've a day off work tomorrow so will Rey and finish - just the rest of the ports and some pics to put up!

Our next port of call was Livorno which we had plans to go ashore and explore the city after reading up about where to go and what to see so but unfortunately I was feeling rather unwell so we ended up having a very quiet day onboard. Livorno is definately not the prettiest looking port from the ship - very industrial but im sure when you get into the actual city it would probably be lovely. The port runs a shuttle bus which was 5 Euro return per person.

Next was Civitavecchia (Rome), we had already decided not to head into Rome as I can't bear the thought of the 1 1/2 - 2hr transfer each way! We decided instead to see some of Civitavecchia, there is a shuttle bus into town which is operated free by the port authority, although you are completely mobbed by touts trying to sell tours as soon as you step off the bus!. We weren't too sure where to go so just followed the crowds and ended up by the sailor kissing a nurse statue where some people were trying to recreate the pose!

Civitavecchia is well signposted so we followed the signs to centre and looked at some shops (you could tell you were in Italy - those prices!), avoid buying any perfume or cosmetics here as they were so expensve but we found this in Venice earlier this year too. We did find a nice leather shop on the corner of a street across from a newspaper stand that was very reasonable and I ended up with a lovely handbag and purse :D

When we decided to head back to the ship it was easy to find the shuttle bus pick up again as it's signposted - you can tell they get a lot of cruise ships lol. We had quite a long wait for a bus but there were 3 other ships also in port so this might have contributed to this.