Sun Review - October 9th - Southern

sonicbuffalo

We had chocolate mints on our pillows every night on the cruise. Also, we asked our steward to leave three dailies each night in our stateroom so we each had one and one fresh one to bring home for our cruise files. He always left three copies. We always do this on cruises and the stewards do a great job of remembering to leave the extras.

I'll have to remember to ask for that.....nice meeting you on Claudia's Tour. Thanks for all that you did!

I read on another thread that due to so many new platinums the suite concierge is not the same as the platinum. I cannot confirm though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks for posting this info.

Didn't know who the Platinum concierge was....perhaps it was the Latitudes guy? Everytime I had a question for the front desk, they would shoo me off to the Latitudes guy saying that he will take care of everybody platinum. He did a great job, but he is VERY overworked!

Hi guys!

We had free entry via Seaquarium beach and paid $3 per lounge chair. While the Mambo beach people had a $3 entry fee and free lounge chairs....so it equals out.....somehow you have to pay $3.

HI Arzeena Didn't equal out. was entry fee and lounge chair fee. We did get senior discount for entry. I think .50 each

When we got dropped off from our tour our guide told us lounge chairs would be free. We were charged $3 and when we questioned it was told to look at our receipt which had written on it Lounge chairs not included in entry cost.

Final Review.....Compared to carnival Miracle

First of all, we liked the Miracle better for the food in the MDR, and the buffet. We do not feel it should be a necessity to have to pay for a specialty restaurant

in order to get a decent meal. Minus 10 for no Filet Mignon....but plus 5 for not having Flat Iron Steak.

We enjoyed the itinierary twice as much as any we have been on with the Miracle. We're not gonna compare the Norwegian Sun to the Carnival Breeze or the the Dream as the ships are not comparable in size.

We did enjoy the entertainment more on the Sun. It was more varied, and better quality than the Miracle, or the Breeze's.

We did enjoy our excursions more on the Sun, even though we went on our own. We had a snorkeling tour booked through the Sun, but they cancelled it at the last minute due to lack of participation.

The Steward on the Sun was better than all that we've had on Carnival. He learned our names quickly and never forgot anything we asked him to do. He was awesome, but I forget his name.

The Dining Area really stunk on the Sun. They forgot my order one night, and never really got to know us as it's Freestyle dining. We did eat every night in the same dining room at the same time. There were 8 of us. The freedom to eat when you want is ok, but at Carnival, they get to know you (the waiters), and they know what you want and when you want it.

We also missed the chocolates on the bed, and it was difficult to find extra newsletters to take with us into town each day. You had to walk all the way down to guest services. At Carnival, they were at most bars and easy to get a hold of.

The cleanliness of the ship was a tie with the Miracle and the Sun, even though the Sun is the oldest ship between the two.

The TV was better on Carnival since we could see local programming, and NCL had movies and Newschannels. TV not that big of deal but it's nice to have local programming.

All in all, we enjoyed all of our cruises....but loved the 11 day cruise more than the 7 and 8 day cruises we took on Carnival. I like the pricing better for 11 days on the Sun, but we couldn't get a great rate on an aft balcony like we did on the Miracle, Dream, and Breeze. Both cruislines have their pros and cons, but we have to rate Carnival a notch ahead of NCL.

On the other hand, we had a real Carribean band (steel band) on the Sun, and we had that vibe going that only a live band can provide. So maybe the Sun was a notch ahead for entertainment reasons. We really did have the best cruise ever on the Sun. We met some friends and enjoyed their company throughout the cruise.

Thanks for a very fair and objection review and comparison of the 2 ships. I would disagree about the buffets, but again, food is so objective. Again, thanks so much for sharing. Enjoy the rest of your cruising days.

I read on another thread that due to so many new platinums the suite concierge is not the same as the platinum. I cannot confirm though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

that makes sense and might be a better way to handle the situation. I have to admit, we rarely use the concierge except for debarkation. We have used a few, especially Carlos, years ago. He was there for us every step of the way. We also used Raymond once, when we couldn't get reservations for a particular restaurant. He took care of it for us.

St. Thomas...we really wanted to snorkel too! We ended up shopping. I bought my wife a 1 ct. set of diamond stud earrings for our anniversary!

Well.. if we are cancelled for Turtle Cove, maybe I'll tell DH that jewellery shopping is the alternate excursion!...we celebrated our 25th this year so not such a stretch !

Happy Anniversary to you and Ginny and glad you had a great cruise to celebrate!

Well.. if we are cancelled for Turtle Cove, maybe I'll tell DH that jewellery shopping is the alternate excursion!...we celebrated our 25th this year so not such a stretch !

Happy Anniversary to you and Ginny and glad you had a great cruise to celebrate!

Thank you very much! and congrats to you both on 25!

Thanks for your post #263. This is about what we're expecting on our 1/1/14 cruise aboard The Sun in cabin 0050. We, likewise, have been to all these port stops, more than once, and always seem to enjoy Curacao the most because it is so easy to just walk around town and enjoy. Only cruised with NCL once before and the food was pretty poor but hoping it will be a little better this time around. I'm sure we won't starve. :)

Ypu can always make up for the bad food early by eating 5 lobster tails the first night!

Ypu can always make up for the bad food early by eating 5 lobster tails the first night!

Is Lobster night the day of boarding or the next full day?Just asking as I want to make a Speciality Restaurant reservation for the first full day but will hold off if that is lobster night. Thanks!

St. Thomas...we really wanted to snorkel too! We ended up shopping. I bought my wife a 1 ct. set of diamond stud earrings for our anniversary!

We did the NCL St John champagne catamaran Sail & Snorkel and had a great time. I think almost everyone who wanted to snorkel must of booked this excursion. We had 2 catamarans that weren't quite full but was too many of us for just 1 boat. First time back to St John and was hoping to see turtles while snorkeling and we saw 2 big green turtles. along with many nicely colorful fish. So we were very pleased.

Is Lobster night the day of boarding or the next full day?Just asking as I want to make a Speciality Restaurant reservation for the first full day but will hold off if that is lobster night. Thanks!

Lobster night is the day of boarding so make plans accordingly! Enjoy!

How about it Harriet? Did you see enough pictures for now?:D

I hated and loved looking at the pictures! Loved them because it was a memory of what was.....and it was a great trip! Hated them because it also was a memory of what is no longer.....I wanna go back! LOL

Great pictures, ship, great times! Actually, when I first saw you post you were going to do a review I thought it was going to be a day by day written review that we see all the time....and I love those.....but your pictures are a thousand words as well!

My review is rather short: I loved the ship! I love the Islands! I loved the people on the ship, passengers and crew! I loved celebrating my birthday on the ship! I didn't like the food temperature at the buffet would be my only complaint!

Oh, and happy belated Anniversary!

Harriet

Harriet

I hated and loved looking at the pictures! Loved them because it was a memory of what was.....and it was a great trip! Hated them because it also was a memory of what is no longer.....I wanna go back! LOL

Great pictures, ship, great times! Actually, when I first saw you post you were going to do a review I thought it was going to be a day by day written review that we see all the time....and I love those.....but your pictures are a thousand words as well!

My review is rather short: I loved the ship! I love the Islands! I loved the people on the ship, passengers and crew! I loved celebrating my birthday on the ship! I didn't like the food temperature at the buffet would be my only complaint!

Oh, and happy belated Anniversary!

Harriet

Harriet

Thanks for the kind words Harriet.......would have loved to have met you if you were sailing with us!

thanks for this we are on at christmas

Have to say that I've been on 9 NCL ships and this is the first time I have seen a shower curtain in the bathroom rather than a shower screen or cubicle.

Need to warn the DH about the loving he is going to get from the curtain - lol

thanks for this we are on at christmas

Have to say that I've been on 9 NCL ships and this is the first time I have seen a shower curtain in the bathroom rather than a shower screen or cubicle.

Need to warn the DH about the loving he is going to get from the curtain - lol

yeppers...pretty small showers...but they work at least!

Sorry I missed the Meet & Greet....how did you make out at the slot pulls?

It was a LOT of fun! We all put in $15.00 and got back $8.00. The Host gave away a bottle of Champagne and 2 bottles of wine.....along with a bunch of dice key chains.

Harriet

It was a LOT of fun! We all put in $15.00 and got back $8.00. The Host gave away a bottle of Champagne and 2 bottles of wine.....along with a bunch of dice key chains.

Harriet

Sounds like you had fun, Harriet......sorry we missed you and the rest of the Meet & Greet!