Mercury/Mexican Riveira Questions

lb0103

I am looking at booking the Mercury 10/21-10 day to Mex Riv. We have been on many RCCL, some Holland and Carnival and Princess. Any comments from you seasoned Celeb cruisers? Anything we should or shouldn't do? We haven't been to any of these ports.

Please post soon, we need to decide in a few days.

Thanks,

Linda

We have been to Mexican Riviera 3 times - twice on Mercury and once on Carnival Pride. Shore excursions are really a personal thing - depending on what you want to do. In Mazatlan the first time we took the City Tour. We didn't like it too much. The bus stopped at all the diamond and jewelry stores that are recommended through the ship. The other 2 times we did Randi's Happy Horses and will do this again if we get to Mazatlan. Just a wonderful tour, riding on the beach and eating at Victors and meeting Randi. In PV we went to Paradise Beach Resort once and it was lovely. Pool was beautiful and it was right on the beach. Another time we did the Krystal Hotel which is in walking distance from the pier. In Cabo we just walked around, going to the Cabo Wabo and tasing their Waborita! Wow, what a drink. We love the Mexican Riviera. At first we did it because we are so close to S.F. and cruising there was easy. We were pleasantly surprised. You will love it.

We did the 11 night on the Mercury in May. The Mexican Riviera is definitely not the Caribbean but we did enjoy our cruise. We are beach lovers, and in PV went to the Krystal, and it was great, in town we were hounded to buy things and we hate that so decided not to visit the towns for shopping after that. In Manzanillo we wanted to go to Las Hades hotel, but the cab drivers acted like they didn't know where it was. They mentioned Boquita Beach and had heard of that on on these boards, so went there, and on our way there, we passed Las Hades, and it looked beautiful. We get to Boquita Beach and it was nothing more than food stands with tables and chairs, no lounge chairs.

The water was warmest there, but the beach wasn't so clean, and the water was cloudy. In both Mazatlan and Cabo went to hotel beach and had a great time. Shopping was best in Cabo. Hope this helped.

We did the 10-night Mex. Riviera back in November. overall a great itinerary. The sea days coming/going can be a bit chilly. For activities, you can't go wrong with any of the water based activities. If you're looking for beach days, my suggestions would be Cabo or Zihuatanejo with Puerto Vallarta & Acapulco as the back-ups.

One tip on shore excursions is to avoid the Sierra Madres nature hike tour in Puerto Vallarta. It was really underwhelming and a waste of time & money if you ask me.

I also have a review posted of this cruise on the Mercury review thread with-in ship reviews.

Thank you all for your comments. We like to cruise to places we haven't been before. We have had many cruises to the Caribbean and love it, but want to try something new. I do hate to be hassled while walking around.

I like beaches but would rather see the sights if the beaches aren't great.

Thanks again for the comments, still can't decide, SD is a LONG way from NH.

Manzanilla and Zijuantinejo (Spelling??) Were my two favorite ports. In Manzanilla we took a cab to the Las Hadas Resort. It is really beautiful. You have to buy vouchers to gain entry. Don't spend your vouchers on any thing but food and drink. They try to sell you a beach cabana or a pool chair. There is no need to pay for these.

Zijuantenjo A beatiful little village. Take a cab over to the more scenic beaches. If you like over the top try Xtapa, but for un-touched fishing village of Zijuantenejo is delightful. This is one of our favorite ports. We loved the "honeymooners" resorts with adobe walls and thatched roofs. T

Overall, we found that the Mexican Riviera Cruise is best as viewed as a cruise to no-where. The ship is the destination, not the poc. Mercury was great.

We sailed on the Mercury in February and are doing it again for Valentines day next year (06).

I see you are from New Hampshire, so do you want to know if flying to the west coast for the cruise is worth the effort?

I would say yes! There are several posts before mine, where there is mention of Randi's Happy Horses. This is not offered by the cruise, but have done it, and love it. If you want to know all that is recommended in the different ports, without spending excurision money, this thread could give you many wonderful options.

Let cc speak, or ask and I'll be happy to give you what we have done in the different ports.

As far as cruising on the Mercury, she is an older, but a beautiful ship. We have received nothing but the best of service, excellent meals, and very friendly staff.

Rick

PS. My rating of the Mercury Mexican Riviera :) :) :) :)

We are on the 10/21/05 cruise, should we be concerned about cool weather and rough seas? When you say "chilly"...how cold is it? Please tell me that I haven't made a mistake booking this cruise. We have only sailed the Caribbean and I'm anxious to try something different. We have been to PV and Acapulco. Thank you all for your input!

We sailed with Rubbrick and his DW last Feb. on the Mercury and had a great time. Acapulco being the highlight of the cruise. We had a SS and it was great the extra large balcony was wonderful. Service superior. We give Celebrity 4.5 stars. Sailing on Infinity 9/3 RT San Francisco.

MSU,

In October it will be hot hot hot. Maybe on the way back it might get chilly but we did not experience that. Windy on deck coming back. Are you leaving from S.F.? It might get a little chilly the closer you get to S.F. You will love this cruise.

WE DID IT!

We booked the 10/21/05. I have to laugh about the people asking if it will be "chilly". Coming from NH, chilly is in the 30's, will it get THAT low? We can't wait, the people on this board are so helpful and polite. Now I can't wait to get on the ship. Hopefully the paper work will get here soon and I have already been online looking at things to do.

Thanks again to everyone. I'd be interested in any more don't do's, I have crossed off the Seirra Madre hiking tour, anything else? I also will not be getting on any horses, they are beautiful to look at, but riding is not for us.

Overall, we found that the Mexican Riviera Cruise is best as viewed as a cruise to no-where. The ship is the destination, not the poc. Mercury was great.

I am curious about that statement.

I know that we all cruise for different reasons and see things in our own way, but "a cruise to no-where." I have been several times and have others booked so maybe I have a different take. On the other hand I have never found a reason to go east to the Carib.

Granted Mexico is young to the cruise market so maybe you have to dig deeper into the ports on your own.

I am not flaming but looking for your view and the reasons.

I am also interested in why you would make that statement. Sounds like you did not care for the ports allthough it does seem that you enjoyed the ports that you referred to in your post. Just curious, as we will be on the same upcoming cruise as "Jukeboxy". Where else have you cruised to & how is the Mexican Riviera different?

Rich

Morriscats, Thank you for your response! We love the hot weather so we have made the right choice. We will be leaving from San Diego. Even though I love cruising in the Caribbean, I am looking forward to something different.

Has anyone done any fishing in Cabo? My husband and daughter love to fish while on vacation and we are looking at the Celebrity excursion.

sport fishing in mexico is fantastic, I am going on the merc again this year. last year december, this year october 31. I personally do not like the ports of call or the way that the vendors constantly harrass you on the beach, in cafes, etc. some people think it is the best part. the sun is beautiful and the weather great down there and X does a great job. the beer and margaritas are great. as far as the cruise to nowhere, yes, one could look at it as such and enjoy the ship fully without ever getting off. there are some nice private beaches that can be found with a little work.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to laugh about the people asking if it will be "chilly". Coming from NH, chilly is in the 30's, will it get THAT low?

Now I'm no cruise expert, having just booked only my 2nd cruise to the Mexican Riviera, (Mercury 11 night in Dec) but I live in San Diego and have been to Cabo & Matzanlan, etc. fishing plenty of times.

1st off, the weather:

Cold? Fuggidaboutit!! There ain't no such thing as "cold" in Mexico as you would define it coming from NH. You'll be lucky if it gets windy at sea and drops under the mid seventies. Maybe at 3 in the morning it might get all the way down to a freezing 68 degrees or so! :eek:

Fishing: Dorado, Striped marlin, tuna.....who needs anything else! Check out some of the many Cabo fishing websites and you might get a better deal than through the ship excursions.:cool:

WE DID IT!

We booked the 10/21/05. I have to laugh about the people asking if it will be "chilly". Coming from NH, chilly is in the 30's, will it get THAT low? We can't wait, the people on this board are so helpful and polite. Now I can't wait to get on the ship. Hopefully the paper work will get here soon and I have already been online looking at things to do.

Thanks again to everyone. I'd be interested in any more don't do's, I have crossed off the Seirra Madre hiking tour, anything else? I also will not be getting on any horses, they are beautiful to look at, but riding is not for us.

Good for you! Enjoy! Mercury was great for us!

I'm glad to hear that I won't need my longjohns. I think this week in NH has been a preview for the weather. Yesterday was 94 with a humidity index of 72 (steamy). That ended with bad storms and we were without power for 4 hours, I couldn't get onto Cruise Critic!

I call a phone call today from Celebrity, just a "what can I do to help" call. Boy was I impressed, NO other line has done that for us. As we are new to X, but have many cruises on RCCL, he gave us our Captains #'s. I think this is going to be great.

Now, how do I pass the time, besides shopping, till we cruise!

Linda

Thank you Bobhesse and Pegleg1! Have either of you booked fishing excursions online? And, if so who did you go through? In PV and Acapulco we have found someone through the hotel we were staying. In Panama we booked through Celebrity (husband went Peacock Bass fishing). In Roatan he found someone on the beach to take a few guys out. The only fish they got on line was eaten by something larger on the way to the boat. We have always had a great experience and story to tell on these fishing trips. I'm thinking Marlin in Cabo may be a possibility. Looking forward to your suggestions!

Thank you Bobhesse and Pegleg1! Have either of you booked fishing excursions online? And, if so who did you go through?

I've booked through both the Solmar Fleet and the Pisces Fleet. But understand, most of the outfits in Cabo don't have for real "online booking" per se. They have web pages with lots of pic's and info, but when you hit the "book" button, most of them direct you to fill out a form and/or call their office to speak with someone who will then actually book your boat. Still, I've never had any problems with either outfit. I'd advise you to do a search for "Cabo sportsfishing" and you'll find "tons-O-pages" of fishing websites.:eek:

I am looking at booking the Mercury 10/21-10 day to Mex Riv. We have been on many RCCL, some Holland and Carnival and Princess. Any comments from you seasoned Celeb cruisers? Anything we should or shouldn't do? We haven't been to any of these ports.

Please post soon, we need to decide in a few days.

Thanks,

Linda

maztlan :randi's happy horses can be reserved online

puerto vallarta :canopy tours is the zip lines over the trees

neither one is a ship excursion and both are reasonable

philwilma

Archived