Colon, Panama; Cololbia; ABC islands

BLAMBKY

Colon, Panama, Cartagena, Colombia, Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles, Oranjestad, Aruba, Netherlands Antilles, Willemstad, Curacao, Netherland Antilles

Just noticed this cruise itinerary and I know nothing, nada, zip, zilch about ANY of these ports, would this be a teen family friendly Southern Caribbean cruise? How would it compare w/Sothern Caribbean out of San Juan?

Colon, Panama, Cartagena, Colombia, Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles, Oranjestad, Aruba, Netherlands Antilles, Willemstad, Curacao, Netherland Antilles

Just noticed this cruise itinerary and I know nothing, nada, zip, zilch about ANY of these ports, would this be a teen family friendly Southern Caribbean cruise? How would it compare w/Sothern Caribbean out of San Juan?

Which ship? That might be one of those immersion ("culturally enriching") cruises:

On Culturally Enriching Cruises, guests embrace the destination onboard. These sailings feature regional entertainment and activities, dining that showcases local flavors and tastes and other details exclusive to the region. These itineraries are popular with guests from the region who represent a majority onboard and are staffed with a higher number of crew members from the region as well. Local customs, practices and languages will predominate on the ship, but English will always be spoken by our staff and crew. Be immersed in another culture while enjoying Royal Caribbean’s signature service, comfort and amenities, for a unique cruise vacation

The itinerary is beyond wonderful! You are talking about some terrific places.

Colon: While not much to see/do right at the port area, its an opportunity to see the Panama Canal! There are numerous excursions to get you there. I highly suggest you book one.

Cartagena: May be my favorite port so far and we've been to a lot! The old city is something to see. We did a walking tour that was out of this world. So different from the rest of the Caribbean port stops.

Bonaire: If you have any interest in diving or snorkeling, this is the place to do it! The water is amazing clear and there is a lot to see. This is what Bonaire is known for. The town is small. Not a lot there but some decent restaurants and a few shops.

Aruba: Lots of options here. Beaches are good. If you want a "beach day" I would do it here. In town there are plenty of opportunities to shop, gamble etc.

Curacao: May be my second favorite port of all time. Absolutely gorgeous place. Locals could not be more welcoming. The swinging bridge is a pretty cool thing to experience as well as the local market where produce and seafood from Venezuela is sold.

I would not hesitate in the least to book this itinerary. Much more interesting than 99% of the Caribbean options.

Edited by cruzeluver
spelling

Excellent cruise. I live in Curacao so ask away what you want to know.Can give you lot of info on Aruba & Bonaire too. Have lived on both. Go a couple of times per year to Colombia, but have never been to Cartagena. I know it's on the Unesco Heritage List (and so is the whole Willemstad which is the capital of Curacao)

Actually, cruzeluvr wrote my post!:p

We did this itinerary the first time it was ever offered. We'd booked it a year in advance, and about 6 months out we were notified that it had been designated as an "immersion" cruise, meaning that the passenger demographic had become overwhelmingly Latin/South American. That was cool with us, as DH was born in Cuba and we both speak Spanish. Had we not been comfortable with the language, though, it might have become tiresome. (Actually, we were sitting having coffee one afternoon, and an officer went by. We greeted him with a "hello", and he did a double-take, turned around and said, "English?? Wonderful!!" Don't remember his name, but he was Australian and was really delighted to chat in English with us.)

We had a wonderful time! And the addition of Colon and Cartagena are opportunities that you should take advantage of with your teens. Since our sailing was the inaugural for this route, we had fireworks that sent us on our way in Colon and Cartagena -- very cool!

I remember Colon being fairly gritty, but the opportunity to see the Canal makes it worthwhile. And the old city in Cartagena is one of the most picturesque places we've ever visited. Such a different flavor.

The ABC's will give you that Caribbean island/gorgeous beach time. Curacao is our favorite island! Rent a car and drive along the coast and you can stop at gorgeous little hidden beaches, each one prettier than the next. Bonaire doesn't have much in the way of shopping/town; it's all about diving/snorkeling. Aruba is the most sophisticated in terms of shopping and nightlife and also has fantastic beaches. You just can't go wrong with this itinerary.

Go and enjoy!

Edited by lacruiser

My suggestion is for you to research these ports.

Which ship? That might be one of those immersion ("culturally enriching") cruises:

On Culturally Enriching Cruises, guests embrace the destination onboard. These sailings feature regional entertainment and activities, dining that showcases local flavors and tastes and other details exclusive to the region. These itineraries are popular with guests from the region who represent a majority onboard and are staffed with a higher number of crew members from the region as well. Local customs, practices and languages will predominate on the ship, but English will always be spoken by our staff and crew. Be immersed in another culture while enjoying Royal Caribbean’s signature service, comfort and amenities, for a unique cruise vacation

It is Vision of the Seas. Do they have special markings to indicate if it is this type of cruise?

:o oh my, sorry! My IPad does not like Royal's site, so I use another one to look up cruises. Thanks for your help! ;)

Edited by BLAMBKY

Have been to the ABC islands many times.

Curacao has the beautiful small city of Willemstad with many historic sites and good shopping. It also has good cove beaches for swimming and snorkeling.

Aruba has some fine beaches (Palm, Eagle are two.) We like the Radisson on Palm Beach where one can get a day pass. It also has an interesting back country where many tours go.

Bonaire, is as some have said, great for snorkeling. It is also a fun island to tour.

Yes, the port forums will give you lots of info.

• 1 month later...

We are booked in the 2-15-14 cruise. We were never notified of the change and too late to cancel. We are going with another couple and I am certain they will not be happy. Is the daily newsletter also in Spanish? Is the food all Spanish? Ant American food? I am more than a little concerned. Are the slot machines in pesos?

We are booked in the 2-15-14 cruise. We were never notified of the change and too late to cancel. We are going with another couple and I am certain they will not be happy. Is the daily newsletter also in Spanish? Is the food all Spanish? Ant American food? I am more than a little concerned. Are the slot machines in pesos?

I don't think there was a change. These cruises are setup as Spanish immersion cruises. If you search this forum, Emeraldcity provided a very detailed review of her cruise.

I love Aruba- 'One Happy Island', and Curacao! On Aruba we enjoyed the Casibari Boulders and Ayo rock formations, very interesting. You can google them or see Tripadvisor for info. We loved our tour of Hato Caves (and our wonderful tour guide) in Willemsted, Curacao. There are steps, and it was pretty hot and humid- not a 'cool' cave temperature that you might think. But it was a cool excursion!

BLAMBKY, you may want to check out these forums for discussion on your ports, sounds like a great itinerary:

Caribbean Port of Call forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Colombia Port of Call forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=500

Panama Canal Port of Call forum ('Search' Colon): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89