At last! It's RADIANCE cruise day!

LOL! OK Graham! Not a myth then! Yes you would have been on your break when we arrived but...... being just lowly Platinum members we aren't VIP's so would have missed you anyway!

We didn't make the M&M as it was held at the time that we were cruising past our home ports of Nambucca Heads & Coffs Harbour & we were trying out our new binoculars!

Gae

Gae, what do you mean. "Just lowly Platinum" We classify any Crown & anchor members as VIP ( and get the "legend" check in agents:D

Monday and we are at Airlie Beach, gateway to the Whitsundays.

Mum was quite anxious about taking a tender boat to shore but we were lucky enough to use a local catamaran both ways!

Very quick and very smooth.

A quiet day for us with just a little bus tour organized. In our younger days we've both experienced the reef and all it has to offer.

We missed out on lunch with no opportunity to purchase any on land so were grateful that there was still some food available in the buffet at 3.30 when we arrived back.

The food both in the Windjammer buffet and the main dining room has been great. I do suspect that I may be ready to try something different in the buffet pretty soon though. Still, there's lots to choose from at both venues.

We missed our C&A welcome back party last night. I'm just not impressed with people's status especially when I hear all the raucous (drunken?) laughter spilling out of the Diamond lounge into the Viking Crown Lounge which used to be one of my favorite quiet spots on all RCI ships.

So far Radiance has not wowed me but perhaps it's because of my duties as my Mother's carer that has influenced my enjoyment of the ship!

Our Cruise Director was supposed to be Bobby Brown but he had gone on holidays leaving his assistant Gordon to cover his role - pity!

Well that's it from me for now!

Any questions? I'll answer them on Friday whilst we're in Darwin.

Gae

Gae,

The assistant cruise director has since said Bobby left for a family emergency and may join the cruise again in Darwin. Luckily Gordon arrived for his first day on the Radiance in Sydney. There were almost 700 returning passengers on this cruise as mentioned at the cocktail party last night.

Gae,

The assistant cruise director has since said Bobby left for a family emergency and may join the cruise again in Darwin. Luckily Gordon arrived for his first day on the Radiance in Sydney. There were almost 700 returning passengers on this cruise as mentioned at the cocktail party last night.

We have had Bobby Brown (and his wife Bec ) for both our RCI cruises and they are fantastic and I sometimes see them at the OPT and with all the people they must meet in their job they still remember who I am ( hope the family emergency worked out OK)

just off Cairns! Lots of pleasure craft & a couple of tankers around.

We just had to complete immigration forms & hand them in with our passports for Bali.

Next port is Darwin on Friday. We have a late departure from there I believe so we're hoping to catch up with my nephew after work. He's presently working on Melville Island during the week.

We have had Bobby Brown (and his wife Bec ) for both our RCI cruises and they are fantastic and I sometimes see them at the OPT and with all the people they must meet in their job they still remember who I am ( hope the family emergency worked out OK)

yes I hope so too!

I met a bar-tender last night at the theatre that had served me once only in the solarium lounge and she remembered not only what I'd ordered but that my Mum had something different!

I said "but how did you remember me?" her answer was "well you remembered me"! Yes but there's only one of her & LOTS of passengers she must have served in that time! I was astounded!

yes I hope so too!

I met a bar-tender last night at the theatre that had served me once only in the solarium lounge and she remembered not only what I'd ordered but that my Mum had something different!

I said "but how did you remember me?" her answer was "well you remembered me"! Yes but there's only one of her & LOTS of passengers she must have served in that time! I was astounded!

I TOLD you that RCI staff are GOOD!!! :)

Barry

Our current dinner waiter also served us in January 2012 as a junior waiter. He remembered us and even the cruise we were on. Also the very cheery drink waiter that used to serve the after dinner liqueurs remembers us as we have been on three cruises that he has worked - mainly remembers us as DH is a non drinker! Always welcomes us with " happy to see you back again". Nice, friendly ship.

Hi Gae' date=' what is the instant coffee like? Is it the same as on voyager? I don't like their coffee. :confused:[/quote']

Hi, have been on all 3 RCCL out of Aust their coffee is the same on all of them ....dreadful!:eek: I always take my own. Robin:)

Gae

Have you come across "MAMA" yet??

If you haven't, I am sure that you will. Either "managing" passengers during tendering procedure or running the Karaoke. They should use her onstage more often!!! Leaves most Cruise Directors that I have ever seen for dead.

Barry

Gae

Have you come across "MAMA" yet??

If you haven't, I am sure that you will. Either "managing" passengers during tendering procedure or running the Karaoke. They should use her onstage more often!!! Leaves most Cruise Directors that I have ever seen for dead.

Barry

Jamie aka Mama has transferred to Navigator OTS.

I can't remember the exact date she was leaving Radiance but it was to be before the end of October.

We were on the transpacific from Honolulu to Sydney and she received word during that voyage.

She was quite excited because it means that she'll be having Christmas at home with her "Mom" for the first time in years. She was also quite excited about going to Europe.

Hi all - greetings from Brisbane!

A little about the ship - well the little I've discovered so far:

Assessable Cabin - oceanview 4006

This is probably about 1 metre wider than a convential OV cabin to accommodate a wheelchair and the larger bathroom with all it's grab rails, fold down shower seat etc. No danger of water flowing out of the bathroom as there is plenty of drainage. It would have been great to have a little night light in there but we brought battery operated candles which allow enough light to use the WC at night.

Plenty of storage throughout the cabin. There are 2 heights for hanging clothes so Mum uses the lower rail.

There is a frig but NO jug even though we asked for one. "sorry madam. This is not the Rhapsody and if I give you one I'll have to give everyone a jug"!!

The other difference I noticed is that we have a large round window rather than the normal square one.

There is lots of walking involved being at the pointy end of the ship which is convenient for the theatre but most everything else is at the stern.

We go up the Deck 5, walk through the shops then take the back lifts up to the other areas.

Windjammer: my favorite muesli - really a porridge with lots of fruit & nuts in it is available like we found on Voyager & missed on Rhapsody and my favorite seed bread which I have toasted twice until it's crunchy so I'm happy. Plenty to choose from for lunch of course.

There are lots of seating areas and some use the 2 side restaurants or the stern seating area in busy times.

Dining Room: we have My Time Dining so are on Level 5 of the Dining Room. The first evening we wandered in at 8.45 and were served, eaten and out of there within 30 minutes. I highly recommend the slow-cooked prime rib! It melted in my mouth!

Last night we went in earlier, straight after the Captain's address, as did most others so there was a 10-15 minute line-up before we were seated. Again we were in and out within half an hour. This time I had the Angus sliced beef. Very nice!

More later.......

We have been in that cabin and it was great.

Hi all - this morning we docked in Darwin where it's 34 degrees outside so at least Mum is warm! She has been complaining of the cold because the ship is air-conditioned so we spend most of each day out on the deck-chairs on Deck 5!

I thought I sent a message from Airlie Beach but if I did, it didn't make it here!

AIRLIE BEACH: This was our first tender port and we were a bit apprehensive as to how it would be for Mum but we were lucky enough to use the catarmaran both ways which just glided over the ocean between the ship and shore - about a 15 minute trip. The ramp up from the marina to the shore was VERY long and steep but many helped Mum so it was fine!

We just took a little bus tour of the area. Saw more of Prosperpine that Airlie Beach as we toured their local museum. I was surprised that the area wasn't more developed as it's the gateway to the Whitsundays with lots of back-packers around, going to and coming from all the Islands there!

The Windjammer was still open when we returned to the ship thank heavens as we'd had no oppportunity to buy any lunch whilst on our bus tour.

MOBILE PHONE SIGNAL: We had great service most of the way from Brisbane up to Airlie Beach. Better reception that what I get at home in the middle of Coffs Harbour! After that, there's been nothing until today here in Darwin.

REEF PILOT: We had the services of a Reef Pilot from Brisbane all the way to Darwin. Whilst we were cruising up from Airlie Beach to Cape York, he would make announcements from the Bridge about all the areas we were passing and remind us of the history of the first explorers of our coast. It was very interesting!

THEATRE SHOWS: We always look forward to the live shows each evening in the theatre. The Royal Caribbean singers and dancers have been good - well the dancing, costumes and scenery have been first-rate. The singing not quite up to scratch. Last night we were entertained by a pianist and he was brilliant! The comedians have been a bit "ho-hum". Not sure who we have tonight as entertainment yet.

EVENING MEALS: We've only had 3 in the dining room. The My Time Dining on Deck 5 is a bit hectic, not nearly as relaxed as the Set-Time Dining which is either 6.00 or 8.30 sittings. Some nights we have been to the Windjammer if we don't want to get changed and other nights we have stayed in our cabin and snacked on bikkies and cheese with a fruit platter each.

AGE GROUP ON BOARD: I'd say my Mum was one of the oldest at 87 but there are many, many more with 'wheelie-walkers' and wheelchairs though not all the wheelchair-bound are elderly of course. There are 3 honeymoon couple on board but most are middle-aged so not too many children as you would expect on an extended cruise. Many, many are doing the back-to-back so from Sydney to Sydney via NZ. I was surprised at how many were from Perth! Others we have met are leaving the ship here in Darwin and taking the Ghan train back through the middle of Australia to Adelaide. Nice trip but an expensive way to do in my opinion as they had to pay the full cruise price even though they only sailed half way. I wonder if anyone will be joining us here in Darwin?

DIAMONDS - PLUS?: We seem to have a few on-board that are what I call "would-be's if they could be's" but probably if I spoke to them one on one they might just turn out to be nice people but as they seem to prefer one another's company, I'm happy to leave them to themselves!

DARWIN: It's been over 20 years since I last visited and there's hardly anything left to recognise of the place. Many, many new high-rise residential buildings and lots & lots of commercial buildings. The parks are lovely and there are trees everywhere. At present the red-orange flowering poincianas (?) are blooming so they look spectacular!

The Harbour is undergoing a face-lift and there are many new commercial buildings, restaurants, residential buildings going up with cranes hovering over them all. It has a population of 120,000 so just a small city. Just twice the size of the little city where I live!

BEST PLACES ON-BOARD DURING THE DAY: As Mum has been feeling the cold indoors, we are spending most of our time on deck with a good book! We started off on Deck 11 in the Adults Only Solarium which is handy for snacks and coffees (decent ones can be purchased both here and in the Coffee Shop on Deck 5) but it gets quite noisy so we ended up down on Deck 5 portside - the smokers are on the Starboard side - where we're spending most of our sea-days. Nice and warm and very relaxing!

SEA CONDITIONS: I think we had a little motion on the first day but since then it's been like a mill-pond. You honestly can't feel any movement and it's a surprise to see the ship's wake so we can remind ourselves that we are on a moving ship!

CRUISE DIRECTOR: As others have mentioned our alloted cruise director Bobby Brown is joining the ship here in Darwin. As I've heard much about him, I'm looking forward to seeing him around the ship.

Well, that's enough for now. I'll update again when we get to Bali on Monday.

Gae

Just returned from the hop on/off bus. Highly recommend the Military Museum (as opposed to the Museum/Art Gallery - went there as well). Last night we were hooted at by the Voyager of the Seas as it passed closely after it was in Darwin yesterday. We were caught in a nasty storm downtown but it passed over quickly. Last night, Halloween, was fun, the centrum was decorated and had a dance party and costume parade. Vivid sunrise this morning on the way to Darwin. Some things not as good as last year and some things better - evens itself out. Enjoyed every day so far. Agree with Gae most onboard are baby boomers but I haven't seen many wheelchairs but a few walkers. I've had good coverage with the ipad along the coast. Intermittent coverage from Cape Tribulation to Cooktown, then none until Thursday Island group. Then none until Darwin. Not expecting any now until Port Hedland. We are on the port side in a balcony and we have followed the coast closely through the Whitsundays, Cape Tribulation, Cooktown and through the stunningly beautiful Torres Strait Islands.

Edited by megsie

We hired a driver for our day in Bali on Monday. His charge was $50 for his vehicle but we paid him $75 as he was so great especially with Mum! Will post full details later.

Right now we are docked at Port Hedland, a BHP iron ore port so we've been to see the long ore trains unloading and the ore tankers being loaded. We passed about 2 dozen ore tankers moored outside the Harbour on our way in this morning. More details later!

Mum's having an off day so is lying down whilst I'm on deck watching all the comings & goings.

Friday we will be anchored off Geraldton then Fremantle Saturday morning.

It's been a great cruise! Would highly recommend this itinery. I'd like to do it again sometime soon.

The weather has been perfect with smooth seas so we've been very fortunate.

Bye for now!

Gae

We hired a driver for our day in Bali on Monday. His charge was $50 for his vehicle but we paid him $75 as he was so great especially with Mum! Will post full details later.

Right now we are docked at Port Hedland, a BHP iron ore port so we've been to see the long ore trains unloading and the ore tankers being loaded. We passed about 2 dozen ore tankers moored outside the Harbour on our way in this morning. More details later!

Mum's having an off day so is lying down whilst I'm on deck watching all the comings & goings.

Friday we will be anchored off Geraldton then Fremantle Saturday morning.

It's been a great cruise! Would highly recommend this itinery. I'd like to do it again sometime soon.

The weather has been perfect with smooth seas so we've been very fortunate.

Bye for now!

Gae

Did you get the tug boat fire hose show when you sailed into Port Headland?

Last night we were hooted at by the Voyager of the Seas as it passed closely after it was in Darwin yesterday.

We were on Voyager :D:D:D but missed the actual sailpast as we were enjoying a drink in the schooner bar :D

Did you get the tug boat fire hose show when you sailed into Port Headland?

No sign of the tug boat welcome at Port Hedland! Lots of locals out to wave us goodbye though!

Almost at Fremantle now after spending yesterday at the delightful town of Geraldton.

Mum had a nasty fall a couple of nights ago so we know what the medical centre looks like now!

I'll write about all our ports of call in more detail later. In the meantime, if there are any questions about the ship, just ask.

Gae