Transportation from Tampa airport to off airport car rental

familycruzinnewbie

We are flying into Tampa for a week pre-cruise from Miami to meet up with my parents near Clearwater. Had some trouble with rates for one way rentals from airport so I was going to rent off airport. Possibly the Budget at Embassy Suites downtown Tampa. The do pick-up just not at the airport. Other than getting a taxi downtown are there any better/cheaper options. We are travelling with 2 kids so a shuttle may not be cheaper.

If you're looking for a rock bottom way to go ~ take the bus. You could always leave your group at the airport to wait while you go and get the car so you aren't dragging luggage. Tough way to go, though.

http://www.gohart.org/routes/hart/tampa-international.html

Most people around here that don't want to drive & park simply use the shuttles. In your case, may defeat the purpose.

Confused by the one way statement ~ aren't you returning it to where you are renting the car? If not, head in the direction of the beach to rent a car which is what a lot of people do. Many tourists don't even rent a car as they use the beach trolleys to get around.

I was going to rent off airport. Possibly the Budget at Embassy Suites downtown Tampa. The do pick-up just not at the airport.

BTW, have you asked if they could do a pick up at a place just off site like the International Plaza or some place just off of the airport "compound"?

There is a Hertz downtown in the Mariott - but it is also a $25 or so cab ride from the airport. Enterprise is located near Ybor City - not sure they do one-way rentals :confused: - and will also be about a $25 cab ride from the airport.

If you rent from National/Alamo/Thrifty they offer free POM shuttles from their MIA airpor location. Hertz offeres free POM shuttles from their downtown Miami location. Avis and Budget have downtown locations close to POM but no shuttles (plan on about a $12-13 cab ride).

If you are travelling with younger kids remamber that FLA law requires approved car seats -- cab will not transport you without them; I would bring my own (if needed) to ensure that they are the correct size, and tip the driver a few extra bucks for the time spent installing and removing the seats.

Good luck! :)

We are picking up the car in Tampa and returning to POW location. Budget POM says they pick up so I figured they would drop off at the ship, is that not the case? The kids are 11 and 14 so no car seats. Originally we were going to get to the beach and pick up our car the next day in Clearwater but the car would be the same price but the shuttle from the Tampa airport to the Condo would be higher than a taxi to the Tampa budget location.

I can poke around with a few companies but Budget is about $175 total for the week off airport and it would be about $500 to pick up at airport. It's for April 19-26 so I am getting Costco discount but can't find a valid coupon yet.

Edited to say I could look into getting dropped off somewhere on International plaza, just have to see if worth taxi there plus time for shuttle pick up versus just the taxi. We would all travel together for car rental as coming back to pick up at airport may be confusing, plus DH and I will both be on the car.

Hmmm... Plaza not too far from the airport but there may be a closer location. The other mall in the area is Westshore Plaza ~ not sure which is closest but you should have time to work it out. I know that it is crazy expensive to rent at the airport. Hate paying all of their fees!

Archived