Cancellation penalty

sjgertz

Ugg, booked a cruise yesterday (got cruise week OBC and the explore 4 deal) and paid the deposit. Final payment due in two weeks. At work today people decided to mess around with the schedule...I may still be able to go but I'm really not sure. I was planning to buy a cancel for any reason policy for just this fear. Should I cancel now? and if I do can I move the deposit to another cruise or do I loose it (we are >60 days out) I know what the penalties are closer to the cruise but cannot seem to find them for >60 days out. Or maybe I should risk it hope my schedule changes again and take out the insurance...

BTW this is a cruise I really wanted to go on (based on the itinerary) and thought I couldn't then when I suddenly could I was so excited.

sjgertz, Did you book directly with HAL or did you book with a Travel Agent?

If you booked with HAL you probably are entitled to your entire deposit back, if your final payment is not due for another two weeks..

However, some Travel Agency's have a cancellation clause & may charge you a penalty for canceling.. Or they might permit you to use your full deposit on another cruise..Talk to your Agent..

If you booked with HAL directly you probably should purchase their insurance policy which permits you to cancel for any reason..

It's important for you to talk to either your Agent or HAL immediately since you are within the 60 day time when most cruisers booked on your ship have paid in full & are within the cancellation penalty phase..

Good luck & please let us know when you find out what HAL or your Agent decides to do..

Hope you can take your cruise..

Cheers...:)Betty

I have to agree -- you need to talk to your TA NOW!! We are fortunate to have a TA that does not charge a fee when we cancel a cruise before final payment.

You also need to talk to your boss NOW and get your final vacation schedule. Explain that you have booked a cruise and do not want to loss any money.

Let us know what happens.

It's important for you to talk to either your Agent or HAL immediately since you are within the 60 day time when most cruisers booked on your ship have paid in full & are within the cancellation penalty phase..

The final payment/cancellation penalty start date varies with itinerary, but it's not 60 days for any:

Grand World; Grand Voyages; any Segment of a Grand World or Grand Voyage; 28+ day Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas; Incan Empires; Amazon Explorer; 30+ day Europe Transatlantic or any segment of a 30+ day Europe Transatlantic sailing; and 2013 Rotterdam Far East

120–91 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

90–76 days before commencing travel: 60% of gross fare;

75 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

All Holiday; Australia/New Zealand; South Pacific; Asia (Including 2014 RT Far East); Prinsendam Europe; South America/Antarctica sailings; and Rotterdam Caribbean

90–64 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

63–43 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;

42–22 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare.

21 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

Caribbean (except Rotterdam); Panama Canal; Mexico; Canada & New England; Pacific Coastal; Pacific Northwest; Alaska and Alaska CruiseTours; Europe (except Prinsendam Europe, 30+ day Transatlantic and segments of 30+ day Transatlantic) and 27-day or less Hawaii sailings

75–57 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

56–29 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;

28–16 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare;

15 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

The OP is NOT within a 60 day window. He stated >60 days...> means greater than. < would mean less than. EM
Actually since s/he said "Final payment due in two weeks" they must be at least 89 days out. The number 60 is irrelevant.

Thanks all. Yup talked to my TA and completely refundable until final payment is due (nov 3). I would love to work in an environment where one could talk to their boss and secure the vacation time but that is not my situation. That me for all the help. I'll let you know if we go!

Thanks all. Yup talked to my TA and completely refundable until final payment is due (nov 3). I would love to work in an environment where one could talk to their boss and secure the vacation time but that is not my situation. That me for all the help. I'll let you know if we go!

Good luck. :)

Thanks all. Yup talked to my TA and completely refundable until final payment is due (nov 3).

Just remember: If final payment is due November 3, then any cancelation must be done on or before November 2 to prevent penalties for attaching.

You'll find the cancellation policy attached to your booking information. Best to read it now and get in touch with your TA or HAL. I had to cancel 30 days prior to cruise and immediately was credited 50% and all port fees and taxes. My travel insurance covered other half.

Archived