Kids onboard

Eiansmomma

Yes. In fact, I forgot to bring my kids some and they were none too happy. Definitely bring them. The water is deeper than you think.

Awesome. I think I will add them to my pile right now. She most certainly would be ticked off if I forgot them. Does the ship moving make it more difficult to swim? I'm embarrassed to say that I never got in the water on my first cruise so I don't know the answer to that. I doubt my older kids would appreciate a device but "just in case"....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Does the ship moving make it more difficult to swim?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I didnt notice the ship moving at all while swimming, with exception of the shallow portion of the pool that goes around the deep end. When the ship moves, you can see the water roll back and forth on the shallow sides. I didnt feel it as much as you can see it.

This will be our first time cruising with our kids. I'm excited and scared all at the same time!

I know that a lot of people have mixed emotions about kids onboard (you either hate them or love them). So I'm nervous about that. BUT my kids are kind, considerate of those around them and have been taught to use their manners. So hopefully they won't tick anyone off. :D

We don't really plan on taking them to the MDR - everyone deserve a nice adult meal (even us)

They range in age from 4-11. I plan on using Camp Carnival for them because I really think they will enjoy it (at least the younger two will). Does anyone have experience with Camp Carnival? Thoughts? Will they like it as much as Carnival says they will?

Who else has cruise with kids before? What has your experience been like?

I don't hate kids, but I don't have any of my own and I'm quite happy about that fact. ;) I also purposely only travel during the school year, so as to minimize the number of children around. Having said that, based on what you've said about your kids, I would gladly welcome them* to the ship and to my MDR table.

On my recent Paradise cruise, there were not very many children on board, as expected. The only time I was irritated by their presence was when a group of four ran up to the Atrium Bar, threw their s&s cards down, and said, "Coke!," having seemingly never been taught common courtesy. But to be fair, I saw a number of adults treating the crew the same way. The rest of the children I saw were polite and well behaved, while being dance-y and generally excited to be on vacation. :)

* Yes, I'm aware that kids/their parents paid their fare just like we did, before the peanut gallery jumps all over me. ;) But since you're asking for opinions, and obviously care about your children, their behavior, and how it's received by other passengers, I'm just giving my (honest, as always, even when it gets me into trouble) two cents.

I agree for you to let the kids decide.

We took our girls 2 and 4 last year and they liked getting dressed up for dinner and eating in the MDR. We only used camp carnival for about 1hr one day, they just wanted to swim and we wanted them with us. We might try CC again this year and if they like it they can stay longer, but we'll have them with us for dinner.

It's one thing if your kids are misbehaving and not disciplined but, some people don't like being around kids (not sure why they would book Carnival though). I don't like being around rude people but that's just the way it is.

We usually do all-inclusive to Cuba so the majority of guests were Canadian. On our first cruise there were alot more rude people than rowdy kids. Not saying all Americans are rude but we were surprised how the people acted (and i'm not talking about drunk adults).

Different types of people including different ages will be on board, so deal with it and have a good time.

I don't hate kids, but I don't have any of my own and I'm quite happy about that fact. ;) I also purposely only travel during the school year, so as to minimize the number of children around. Having said that, based on what you've said about your kids, I would gladly welcome them* to the ship and to my MDR table.

On my recent Paradise cruise, there were not very many children on board, as expected. The only time I was irritated by their presence was when a group of four ran up to the Atrium Bar, threw their s&s cards down, and said, "Coke!," having seemingly never been taught common courtesy. But to be fair, I saw a number of adults treating the crew the same way. The rest of the children I saw were polite and well behaved, while being dance-y and generally excited to be on vacation. :)

* Yes, I'm aware that kids/their parents paid their fare just like we did, before the peanut gallery jumps all over me. ;) But since you're asking for opinions, and obviously care about your children, their behavior, and how it's received by other passengers, I'm just giving my (honest, as always, even when it gets me into trouble) two cents.

Mine know that since they did not work for it the same as many adults with real jobs, they are not entilted to it the same. They MUST watch their steps, watch their mouths, watch your actions, because many adults earned the previledge/vacation they have been granted/given. Do I understand that my kids might not be the highlight of some others vacation, of course. Heck somedays thay are not the highlight of mine when the whining starts.

For us formal night a must for dinner then go with the flow but be mindful of others . I am more bothered by kids behaving badly because I am often tempted to do something that could get me in trouble, POP!

I really doubt that the servers love to interact with children, it is just their job and they do want a tip.

I would definitely take your children to the mdr because my daughter always enjoyed having dinner in the fancy room and did like to dress up. I would just be ready to leave if they act up.

You'd be 100% wrong... there was no hiding that the servers LOVED interacting with my son and the other kids on the cruise. Many of them have families with kids at home and don't get to see them for months at a time.

Not only do the servers love to interact with the kids, but everyone on board loved him!!

You'd be 100% wrong... there was no hiding that the servers LOVED interacting with my son and the other kids on the cruise. Many of them have families with kids at home and don't get to see them for months at a time.

Not only do the servers love to interact with the kids, but everyone on board loved him!![quote]

Now we have the second coming and Saviour in a child on Carnival:D

You are kidding, right? To be loved by all because he has cured world hunger and all major diseases? May I suggest a fix to the tipping debate and smuggling controversay. They are good at their jobs, love takes time!

Kiddo came with us on the Imagination (maybe around 8 years old?) and Celebrity Infinity (probably around 12?), always ate where we ate, at the MDR.

He was and still is well behaved.

I just can't understand why certain posters even have to ask if it is OK to bring their kids to the MDR, a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

If the kid or kids are not well behaved, it's their parents' fault.

Now if we are talking about babies, that's slightly different, if the baby start crying in the MDR, the parents might want to reallocate to another dining venue on the ship (that's if and only if the baby cries).

I just can't understand why certain posters even have to ask if it is OK to bring their kids to the MDR, a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

I didn't ask if it was OK to bring my kids to the MDR, I just merely stated we may not decide to do that because:

1) my kids don't always appreciate good food and can be picky eaters. Why would I want to waste a entire meal telling them constantly to eat their food etc.

2) I'm a SAHM and I am always with my kids. I eat every meal of every day with at least 1 child. I simply thought it would be nice to have an adults only meal.

My children don't act up (especially when there father is around). But kids can and will be kids and to people that don't have children with them or don't have children at ALL it can be found annoying. I have read a LOT of negative comments on these boards concerning children on cruise ships and I was nervous that my kids would be the ones being written about someday. I'm a cautious/courteous parent and I always feel like my kids are bothering others and I guess I was looking for comfort and suggestions on cruising with children and some reassurance that they won't be as annoying to other passengers as I'm afraid they will be.

I didn't ask if it was OK to bring my kids to the MDR, I just merely stated we may not decide to do that because:

1) my kids don't always appreciate good food and can be picky eaters. Why would I want to waste a entire meal telling them constantly to eat their food etc.

2) I'm a SAHM and I am always with my kids. I eat every meal of every day with at least 1 child. I simply thought it would be nice to have an adults only meal.

My children don't act up (especially when there father is around). But kids can and will be kids and to people that don't have children with them or don't have children at ALL it can be found annoying. I have read a LOT of negative comments on these boards concerning children on cruise ships and I was nervous that my kids would be the ones being written about someday. I'm a cautious/courteous parent and I always feel like my kids are bothering others and I guess I was looking for comfort and suggestions on cruising with children and some reassurance that they won't be as annoying to other passengers as I'm afraid they will be.

You seem to be making the dining room more than it really is. As well as making your kids secondary to those around you.

Make them primary, and stop worrying about those around you. You paid the same fare as them.

And if you have reasons not to bring them that are your own, do that as well.

You seem to be making the dining room more than it really is. As well as making your kids secondary to those around you.

Make them primary, and stop worrying about those around you. You paid the same fare as them.

And if you have reasons not to bring them that are your own, do that as well.

Exactly how I was going to respond but you beat me to it.

my children are always my primary and that is why I'm asking questions and stressing my concerns. They shouldn't be and don't have to be subjected to other people rudeness towards them. I came on here to ask advice and get other peoples input and experiences with children onboard other then the negative comments concerning children that I have seen on these forums.

But thank you for the advice - while onboard I won't worry about those around me and we will have the best time we can as a family :) whether they choose to go to the MDR with us or eat with other kids at Camp. It will be their decision.... :)

They shouldn't be and don't have to be subjected to other people rudeness towards them. I came on here to ask advice and get other peoples input and experiences with children onboard other then the negative comments concerning children that I have seen on these forums.

But thank you for the advice - while onboard I won't worry about those around me and we will have the best time we can as a family :) whether they choose to go to the MDR with us or eat with other kids at Camp. It will be their decision.... :)

Nobody will have a keyboard in the MDR, so there's no way they can tell you anything. And they wouldn't anyway.

Nobody will have a keyboard in the MDR, so there's no way they can tell you anything. And they wouldn't anyway.

I've had people say something "to us" before. We showed up at a restaurant with our kids and we were seated next to a couple. The couple proceeds to (very loudly) start talking about how it "sucked so bad being sat next to someone with kids" and "how they wanted a nice dinner away from kids" and on and on and on. They proceeded to call the waiter over and request they be moved away from us because "they came out to dinner to be away from children" and didn't appreciate ours. Our kids were behaving very nicely too. So I wouldn't put it past anyone to NOT say something that was on their mind if they are unhappy about something. Maybe that rude couple is the reason I'm so paranoid about my children unintentionally pissing someone off.

All kids act up from time to time. No one, not even you, should expect your kids to be perfect angels. They will be excited so they may get a little rambunctious, but I’m full grown and get the same way on vacation! The main dining room is kid friendly. If you were thinking of the Steakhouse, for example, I would advise you against it only because it’s a long meal that might wear even on some adults. You have options. They won’t be a bother. I’ve been on 5 cruises – 4 of them were the shorter itineraries in the summer where there are lots of kids – and I have never seen a child do anything so unusual or out of control that their parents were left cringing. If they get restless, politely excuse yourself and take them out. That’s all. Stop worrying and enjoy yourself. If the kids like the camp, you’ll find there’s plenty there to keep them occupied so that you can catch a well deserved break. I was worried to death about every tiny thing before I took them on their first cruise, so I get it. Just relax and get ready to go! ;)

I've had people say something "to us" before. We showed up at a restaurant with our kids and we were seated next to a couple. The couple proceeds to (very loudly) start talking about how it "sucked so bad being sat next to someone with kids" and "how they wanted a nice dinner away from kids" and on and on and on. They proceeded to call the waiter over and request they be moved away from us because "they came out to dinner to be away from children" and didn't appreciate ours. Our kids were behaving very nicely too. So I wouldn't put it past anyone to NOT say something that was on their mind if they are unhappy about something. Maybe that rude couple is the reason I'm so paranoid about my children unintentionally pissing someone off.

They came out to dinner to be away from children. :rolleyes::confused::eek:

Seems they were upset at the sight of children, if yours were behaving. Again, THEIR problem. Not yours.

I said I wasn't going to respond further but ...

Sounds like you are a good mom but as long as you know deep down you have taught your kids proper manners and common sense, what more can any one ask for.

Do yourself a favor, hold your head up high and be proud of yourself, you earned it.

There will always be people complaining about unruly kids, as long as you know your(s) is not one of them, why be nervous! People should do their research before they book a cruise, high season with lots of kids, lots of PA announcements etc. They have choices! If they don't like it, they BOOKED THE WRONG CRUISE. Like why would one book a baseball cruise if the person don't like the game?

Yes, as parents, we went through the period when kiddo disliked vegetables, you know what I mean. All it needs is a bit of patience, they will come around to it. Appreciating good food, that takes time, invest your time into the equation, certain don't want kiddo to eat that Big Mac all the time.

Who knows? Maybe someday you will find your kids being mentioned on CC, like the most behaved kid around the ship!

Whatever you decide to do, have fun, all of you!

They came out to dinner to be away from children. :rolleyes::confused::eek:

Seems they were upset at the sight of children, if yours were behaving. Again, THEIR problem. Not yours.

sounds as though they were trying to have themselves a nice romantic, night away from their kids at The Olive Garden!

Come on, that’s not going to happen. And if by chance it does, you say “awe but look at them, aren't they cute” and then snap a pic! :D

They are the ones who didn't know how to adapt.

Their problem, not yours, period, full stop!

Not only do the servers love to interact with the kids, but everyone on board loved him!![quote]

Now we have the second coming and Saviour in a child on Carnival:D

You are kidding, right? To be loved by all because he has cured world hunger and all major diseases? May I suggest a fix to the tipping debate and smuggling controversay. They are good at their jobs, love takes time!

Living in a fantasy land for sure.

LOL! I've never been, but somehow that reads "Family Restaurant". Too funny!

My DW and I have 4 kids between us. Now all grown. Even when they were younger we always had date nights and romantic "just us" nights .

We always managed to steer clear of anything remotely "Familyesque" :) if we didn't want to be bothered by other peoples kids. If we did in fact go to a family type place we certainly didn't expect every other patron to be part of our little romantic scenario and took it as it came.

Archived