Kids onboard

Eiansmomma

With the exception of one night (we got back late from an excursion) they ate with the camp at the buffet. That second night, I was reminded why we took them to eat with the kids in the first place. They were always excited to check in at dinner time.

I can't tell you how nice it was to "eat out" with my husband 5 nights in one week. We lingered and got dessert and coffee every night. If the service was a little slow, who cares, pouf another glass of wine!!

I am SO with you here. I love my kids dearly, but we eat together every night and so I don't feel guilty at ALL about having 5 nights of quiet, relaxed dinner together. lol We will only do a formal night as a family (mainly for the nice family photo) in the MDR.

(Thanks to whoever about the suggestion to order their main as an appetizer and then taking them to Camp, we'll probably do that!!)

No, I would rather deal with adults then messy and noisy children.

Everyone on a cruise has paid for it. Therefore, they should be able to do as they please as long as it does not disrupt others. I can see where a constantly crying baby or toddler would be annoying, but when you cruise with Carnival you should expect to cruise with families who have children of all ages. Everyone has the right to try new things and enjoy their cruise to the fullest, families included.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Forums mobile app

My children had a wonderful time on their first cruise this past Summer. So much so that they compelled me to book another one a month after we returned.

They were expected to exercise the same manners as they do anywhere else. They weren't a bother, had a great time, and were excited to tell everyone about the experience.

I pay for my children's fare just like everyone else onboard. Therefore they have every right to go in any space on the ship that the rules and us as parents deem appropriate. My kids ate in the MDR once. They love camp carnival so much that they wanted to eat there the rest of the days. And we had no problem with that.

You take your kids to the MDR if you want. Let them try it. The waitstaff is just as nice to them as the adults - sometimes more - since rarely are they the ones being a demanding pain in the toosh.

I've cruised several times and have yet to see these unruly kids often spoken of. So go and enjoy your cruise. Take lots of pics and share when you get back!! ;)

We have a 6 year old and 3 year old... We did make a point to do 1 fancy night together and then to do dinner a couple times together and then other times we let them go to camp.... We let them pick out the activities they wanted to attend and then kind of decided what we were doing based on that... It gave them time to be a kid and us to enjoy adult time

On our first cruise, our 6yo daughter really cried and fought when we took her to camp carnival. The counselors said to let them work with her for an hour and they would call if she remained unhappy. We came back later to pick her up for dinner and she refused to leave until we promised she could come back later. It was kinda funny how she would look the other way whenever we came to get her, like we wouldn't notice her and she could stay. I'm really glad I didn't take her out after a few minutes. Every cruise the camp is the highlight of the trip for my kids. It is my No. 1 reason for staying with Carnival. Best children's programs ever!

You're the type of person I'm afraid of on the ship!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Haha, don't be. Enjoy your cruise with your children,some

of the best times I had were on vacation with my daughter.

We cruised over the summer with family, and our group included 5 kids from 2-9. All of them went to Camp Carnival and loved it. They also all ate in the MDR every night but one (the grown ups went to the steakhouse and the grannies were in charge of the littles, so they did buffet) and loved it. Kids will not be out of place at all there!

I'm going to allow the almost 12 year old to sign himself in and out and do his own activities on the ship. He will of course be required to communicate all plans with us.

Bring post-it notes, and write notes to each other and place them on the mirror in the cabin.

We have the early seating too. Maybe it won't be so bad. Thanks!

I can honestly say we will be using the camp though. We plan on attending some of the adult shows and would like to enjoy some adult beverages!

DO NOT apologize about that. Camp Carnival takes your kids, seats them with other kids, feeds them, entertains them, and ruins them for having dinner with you.

My 12 year old cried when he graduated, and could no longer have dinner with the Camp. They LOVE IT.

No, I would rather deal with adults then messy and noisy children.

Me too but mine keep showing up:D

Consider the Camp Carnival a real part of your kids cruising experience. Compared to other programs, including Beaches, Camp Carnival does a great job at making the kids cruising experience special. Our daily lives revolve around our kids, so vacation is seen as a needed break from them. For some, vacation is the only family time, for us we do great together the entire year. A week of not having dinner with them or having them stuck to us is perfectly acceptable. We plan excursions as a family because showing them things in other places is a big reason why we travel, not be together like white on rice. I found out I had a problem with being away from my kids than they do being away from us. They were just fussing to show me love:D.

I chose to cruise with our kids when they were older starting at ages 7 and 10, so they had a clear understanding what this vacation meant to ME. On other vacations I never used the kids program until my kids were fully able to communicate. I did my time having my kids in on hand while having a watered down drink in the other.

Enjoy formal night dressed up, priceless!

My kids loved it! The 2 year old begged to go to "kids club" as she called it, and they were amazing with my ADHD/ODD/feeding tube 4 year old who can be extremely hard to deal with. Every time I checked the tv screen, they were engaged and having fun. My 6 year old daughter liked the towel animal workshop and the soda/dance party in one of the night clubs best. All 3 liked meeting Freddy and getting their faces painted. I was prepared to get phone calls to come get them (they give you a cell phone) and never once did they need to call. The kids are already begging to cruise again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In Feb 2013, we took my then 7 yr old and 4 yr old on their first cruise. They LOVED it!!! Camp Carnival was amazing. My kids could not get enough. They only ate with us in the MDR on the first night and then when they found out that they could have dinner with the other kids up on the Lido deck as part of camp, it was "see ya later mom and dad". Made for some very nice dinners for my DH and I. My kids were bummed every time we came to pick them up (even though we had to come and get them after 3 hours, just so they could have a break from camp). They could not get enough of camp. I offered them a trip to Disney or another cruise in 2014. They requested a cruise, and more specifically, a Carnival Cruise in 2014. All they want to do is get back to Camp Carnival. Your kids will have a blast. Enjoy your alone time without the kids. I know I will be in Feb!!! :D

TI'm excited and scared all at the same time!

I know that a lot of people have mixed emotions about kids onboard (you either hate them or love them). So I'm nervous about that.

I find it sad that you are scared that your own flesh and blood who have paid a fare will not be accepted on your family vacation.

My suggestion to you would be to ignore the very few posts here from people who hate kids, and enjoy yourself.

Signed,

Someone who has cruised many times with my child and wouldn't have it any other way. I only keep him out of places where you have to be 18 or 21. He has every right to be anywhere else any other paying passenger can go. He most certainly comes to dinner-they have high chairs there for a reason.

Enjoy your cruise. :) Oh and be sure to check out the family board here at cc.

We are going on our 4th cruise with our kids in 15 days. This is their third Carnival Cruise and they love Carnival Kids Camp. They did not enjoy the kids camp on Princess. Our kids are 7, 9, 11,13...they go to Camp Carnival some times during the day and always at night. One night they eat with the kids, all the other nights they eat with us in the MDR. They are so well behaved as they know if they are bad we would not take them again!!

Because someone is not doing back flip to be around kids, doesn't mean they hate them. Some can be spoil, entitled, brats, and people might simple not risk the encounter. They are raised by parents who thinks only me and mine matters. Mine are sweet angles because they know silence is golden, duct tape is silver (j/k).

The OP is being conscious and thoughtful. Not the most common thing among some parents. BRAVO.

The kids club will make the kids vacation special.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I've been cruising with my kids since my daughter was 3yo and my son 6yo. Tomorrow my daughter (now 8yo) and I will embark on her 8th cruise (7th on Carnival).

It is the perfect family vacation. :) I've cruised with and without my kids and I love both, but given the choice I'd rather have them around. They both enjoy Camp Carnival - my son is OBSESSED and would spend every waking moment there if he could; my daughter likes to pick and choose her activities there but always visits daily. My daughter prefers the MDR most nights but likes to eat with her CC friends at least once per cruise. My son would rather eat with CC every night.

My kids have visited eight foreign countries and transited the Panama Canal twice, all through cruising. They've both met kids who are now pen-pals (from three different countries). They've won ships on a stick (scavenger hunt; Lido deck games), sung with the live band, and learned an astonishing amount about faraway places from speaking with crew members.

I adore cruising with kids. I wish you a wonderful voyage! :)

I have been cruising with my kids since my youngest was 5 months old. I have always gone to the MDR with my kids even as infants. My youngest is the only one that goes to camp carnival on occasion. He was hesitant at 1st but then realized all the fun things he could do there.

If people want to go on cruises without children...they can go on single cruises or the cruise lines where families tend to not go on.

I pay a lot of money for my vacations & cruises for my family of 6. I'll be darned if I'm going to keep my kids quiet or out of the MDR. Don't get me wrong, they are very respectful & polite....but this is a family vacation & they are going to enjoy every minute :D!

Camp Carnival?? The first time my youngest daughter went (3 at the time) didn't really care for it. Last time (4) she loved it. My older daughter (now 16) never likes the teen clubs though. So I say sign them up and send them, if they don't like it, they don't have to go back!

MDR dinner.... We always have dinner together. Maybe one night me and DH will go out without them. Also remember if you have any that aren't picky eaters, you can always order their food from the regular menu instead of the kids menu. I usually only order off the kids menu once during the cruise because I hate the idea of her eating nothing but chicken nuggets for a week!

Have a blast and enjoy your vacation. At one time those people were children too. We go as a family and it's the best vacation. My boys who are 11 hangout with us - it's family time. They do respect everyone aboard to the best of their knowledge and are corrected if need be.

I would say not to worry- just go and have fun!

My DD and I tried a short cruise, just the two of us, and most of our memories are of how nice the staff and fellow passengers were to her. We went to the MDR and early shows and never felt alone or out of place. It seemed that everywhere we went people would be chatting and smiling with us. We're going to try a seven day next and are so excited!

There were a few kids running in packs, messing up the hot tubs, rough housing in the halls, etc., and understandably, people were irritated by them, but they seemed to be the exception.

Honestly, it wasn't until I started reading CC that I realized some folks would rather not have kids on board. When we were on the ship, we felt very welcome.

I love everyone's thoughts and experiences. Regarding dinner, I'm going to let them make their own decision on where they would like to eat. We do have 1 night when we will be eating at David's and have already decided to make that an adults night but every other night will be up to them. As for how they act and how people around them react to them, as long as they aren't being unruly, obnoxious or rude I will let them be kids and enjoy their vacation. They are starting to get pretty excited about the trip - it might be one 44 days!

Our granddaughter is 6 yrs old and will be on her 8th and 9th cruise with us in December. We love sailing with her and the memories we have made as a family are priceless. We always sign her up for Camp Carnival and then she chooses when to attend. She eats with us in the MDR every night and loves it. When we did our B2B on the Breeze with her the waitstaff in the MDR brought her little gifts. They were amazing and made her feel very special.

Enjoy your family cruise and make all the wonderful memories you can. They grow up fast.

We just got off the Pride. Our kids range from 6-16. the 6, 7 and 13 year old used the Camps daily. The 6 & 7 year olds BEGGED to go. (even yelling at us if we "picked them up too early". We went with friends who had a 5 year old who absolutely loved it. They wlll come home with many fun little trinkets. We also used Night Owls (the after hours camp) which I highly recommend.

As far as the MDR is concerned, take the kids. They had a wonderful magician circling the tables doing magic for the kids at the individual tables on our cruise. The kids absolutely loved it. There were kids in the MDR, I wouldnt let anyone make me feel guilty about taking my children to a nice dinner with me.

This is slightly off topic but is still "kid related". My two older children can swim awesome. My 4 year usually swims with the aid of those arm floater things. Are they allowed to be used in the ships pools?

This is slightly off topic but is still "kid related". My two older children can swim awesome. My 4 year usually swims with the aid of those arm floater things. Are they allowed to be used in the ships pools?

Yes. In fact, I forgot to bring my kids some and they were none too happy. Definitely bring them. The water is deeper than you think.

Archived