Hawaiian Airlines

twin123185

Contemplating flying through Honolulu on my next trip. The Saturday only flights to and from PPT is the perfect schedule. Anyone here have any comments/thoughts/opinions on this airline? I am very down on Air Tahiti Nui these days.

We took the Hawaiian HNL-PPT-HNL flights when we sailed on the Paul Gauguin and they were fine (at least in Business Class). As far as we know, the PG will hold the ship if they know you are coming on the Hawaiian flight, but do double check if that is the policy today. It has probably been noted before that Hawaii and Tahiti are in the same time zone, so no jet lag.

There have always been a few Hawaiian passengers on the PG.

The saturday to saturday schedule is also suitable for the 10 day cruise if you want to get into Tahiti early.

Edited by Emdee

Hawaiian Airlines does a good job and their service is tops for an American airline.

Hawaiian upgraded the aircraft from a 767 to a Airbus 332 on this route. Both TN and AF's business class are much superior to what HA offers. If you're making connections back east from HNL on HA prepare to very long connection times.

The most important thing when going to FP is to make sure your on-time especially when you might be boarding within a few hours of arrival.

This is from the AQR 2013 report:

"Hawaiian Airlines (HA) On-time performance (93.4% in 2012 and 92.8% for 2011) is the best of all airlines rated for 2011 and 2012"

This fits in very well with the original question of the thread ..........

I have an overnight connection going from JFK but that was the plan. The return I have an 11 hour layover but that is a small price to pay for being able to use points/miles. As far as ATN business class, it has gone downhill steadily over the years - service and food - but at least the new seats are decent. Never been on Air France but the 2-3-2 configuration in business is a bit strange.

Gabelle in this board flies them and can give a good opinion.

I would not fly to Tahiti the day of a cruise. Too much left to chance and I would be a nervous wreck. This was perfect as I wanted a 4 day pre at the IC Tahiti and leave the day the cruise ends. On time at 9 am at JFK will be a welcome surprise!

We've been on AF twice to or from Papeete. Once we did business and once was premium economy. In September we're doing business again. The seats were very comfortable and the service was excellent. The last time we were on it, the configuration was 2-4-2. Maybe they have changed equipment??? And the benefit for us, is we can book it from ATL.

I have flown AF from LAX - PPT once ............. long ago when they flew the 747. We were in economy. More French people coming from Paris so there was a bit of .......... ah .......... smell (happens on the ATN flights that are coming from Paris) but the baguettes were incredible :)

The best carrier is no longer flying to FP ....... that of course was ANZ

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Yes, Twin, I will see you on Hawaiian.

We are flying united biz to Hawaii and like twin will be arriving 4 days before the cruise so plenty of time.

Only problem about Hawaiian is that they have a bad record of over shooting the runway in Tahiti.....

Always wanted to fly ANZ, have heard good things. They still fly to PPT but only from AKL. HA overshooting the runway...interesting.

2-3-2 is AF biz class Nancy.

Never have seen that in biz class.

I certainly would not want a middle seat for that amount of money spent.

Edited by twin123185

2-3-2 is AF biz class Nancy.

Never have seen that in biz class.

I certainly would not want a middle seat for that amount of money spent.

2-3-2 seating was common in both the 777-200 and 747's On United some of the 777-200 have 2-4-2 business class, and some have 2-3-2 or 2-2-2 depending on the route. The real crime is in coach where the airlines are cramping another seat in each row in the 777 to make it 10 across 3-4-3.

Have never purchased a biz class ticket , oops once for my wife. I like playing the points game. I was reading on a frequent flyer board that HA is the only airline that in Tahiti you can't use the first class lounge. That stinks if true.

Yes twin that's right. But they honoured the AMEX platinum priority pass card for us.

What I did read though is that they not keep the lounge specifically open for Hawaiian flights. Our flight is at the same time as the ATN flight.

• 1 month later...
Have never purchased a biz class ticket , oops once for my wife. I like playing the points game. I was reading on a frequent flyer board that HA is the only airline that in Tahiti you can't use the first class lounge. That stinks if true.

Hawaiian Business class is what other airlines call prem-economy they recline 2 inches, are 1 inch wider than their crummy coach. and they charge double

Their "lounge" has the charm of a greyhound bus station.... a refer filled with pog juice in 2 oz cups... and that's it.

Their coach seating is even worse they pack 24 more seats on the same plane as other airlines.

Beware of their administrative fee to change or cancel a flight... even I full fare business where other airlines will at no charge for a business/First passenger paying full fare, Hawaiian will charge you $200 if you cancel or change... and tell you to pack sand.

Since they put all their competition out of business they are a monopoly and are as arrogant as can be... They are pretty much the only show in town..and act accordingly. Customer service means hosing the customer. Their phone lines are even worse....

If you fly on them but the cheapest seat you can because their premium is garbage.

On my next cruise from Tahiti, Living in Hawaii... I will fly through LAX to avoid these creeps..... And that coming from a Hawaii resident.

Is it that bad...... worse

Thanks for your opinion. Interesting take! I am locked in so we shall see what happens come September.

Just haven't been thrilled with ATN and wanted to try something different. My wife will be in first class from NYC through to PPT courtesy of points while I purchased an Economy ticket for less than what ATN charges just from LAX to PPT. Schedule was perfect for me.