AARP for those under 50 and NCL

cruisecritiquer

Um, I'm 33 and considering signing up for that! Seriously! My husband and I travel a lot, so getting the AARP hotel discounts would be pretty great as well, if that applies.

Thanks for the info about this, cruisecritiquer!

I signed up and NCL updated my price just getting info about complications at port. Or once it's on and verified it's all good?

No complications, no worries. Once the membership number is provided, I've not been asked for the card or any other confirmation at port. Now that having been said, I always have the card just in case. ;)

The only downside to AARP on cruise bookings is that it isn't always combinable with other promotions. We have used AARP on 3 cruises now and I am under 50.

Besides, AARP has a pretty decent magazine and a newsletter that comes with the subscription and Dunkin Doughnuts gives you a free doughnut with the purchase of a large coffee. :D

Joined AARP last Nov, to get an additional discount off Carb cruise.

Agree, good return on a $16 membership.

They are a marketing company that sells advertising, just do not give AARP your phone number, make one up if they want one, or you will be sorry. :cool:

[quote name=

Besides, AARP has a pretty decent magazine and a newsletter that comes with the subscription and Dunkin Doughnuts gives you a free doughnut with the purchase of a large coffee. :D[/quote]

I thought with the under 50 membership you don't get a physical card. Only a paper version you print? I love dunkin. Share the how to for free doughnuts.

I found a $200 per person AARP discount on an NCL Hawaii cruise in June 2014. Question: do BOTH people in the cabin have to be AARP members in order for BOTH to get the discount, or will one suffice? Thanks.

My TA adjusted both my fiancé and I rate and I am the under age AARP member. If it's an issue you can add people to your membership.

I thought with the under 50 membership you don't get a physical card. Only a paper version you print? I love dunkin. Share the how to for free doughnuts.

I am the under 50 member who books the cruises for the discount, but my DH is over 50 so we both have the plastic cards. However, our local Dunkin doesn't specify an age with their AARP free doughnut promo. Other company's offers do have age limits. Try your paper card. The worse they can say is no! :)

I found a $200 per person AARP discount on an NCL Hawaii cruise in June 2014. Question: do BOTH people in the cabin have to be AARP members in order for BOTH to get the discount, or will one suffice? Thanks.

Yes, both have to have AARP but a spouse can be added to an AARP membership (for free) if requested. On all 3 of my cruises, I had to ask NCL to have the AARP membership discount applied to my wife's cruise as well, it was not done automatically.

Edited by Out to sea!

Yes, both have to have AARP but a spouse can be added to an AARP membership (for free) if requested. On all 3 of my cruises, I had to ask NCL to have the AARP membership discount applied to my wife's cruise as well, it was not done automatically.

Spouse, or domestic partner.

I wanted to take advantage of the 5% AARP discount, but I don't turn 50 until seven months before my next cruise (timing is everything), so I thought I'd lose out. But I went to the AARP website and I thought I couldn't join until age 50, but I joined no problem, and signed up my domestic partner at the same time (he's only 39). Got the .pdf of the paper card and then made our reservations, and the discount applied to both of us. Got the plastic cards in the mail about 3 weeks later.

I know it sounds silly, but I'm waiting until I turn 50 next month to use any other AARP benefits. Feel like I'm taking advantage of the system (which I admit I did with NCL) if I use it before I'm 50. Just being a little weird about it, but that's me!

--Michael

Spouse, or domestic partner.

I wanted to take advantage of the 5% AARP discount, but I don't turn 50 until seven months before my next cruise (timing is everything), so I thought I'd lose out. But I went to the AARP website and I thought I couldn't join until age 50, but I joined no problem, and signed up my domestic partner at the same time (he's only 39). Got the .pdf of the paper card and then made our reservations, and the discount applied to both of us. Got the plastic cards in the mail about 3 weeks later.

I know it sounds silly, but I'm waiting until I turn 50 next month to use any other AARP benefits. Feel like I'm taking advantage of the system (which I admit I did with NCL) if I use it before I'm 50. Just being a little weird about it, but that's me!

--Michael

Don't know how you were able to sign up without being 50 as it specifically states on the website that AARP is for people 50 and older. Since neither one of you is 50 yet, I don't know why or how that went through. As for the "partnership", yes, partners are allowed as well. I'm curious as to how they verify (or if they even care and just care about increasing membership) said "partnership"?

Don't know how you were able to sign up without being 50 as it specifically states on the website that AARP is for people 50 and older. Since neither one of you is 50 yet, I don't know why or how that went through. As for the "partnership", yes, partners are allowed as well. I'm curious as to how they verify (or if they even care and just care about increasing membership) said "partnership"?

Old article but same idea. Google aarp associate membership. Most benefits are offered except life insurance and healthcare.

All NCL needs for discounts is a membership number which prints out in a super sweet paper card until you turn 50 and you get a awful plastic card. Which we all know plastic is bad for the environment. :)

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2005/02/22/94387/-Anyone-can-join-AARP-lets-help-them-out-you-don-t-have-to-be-50

Out to sea, you can join before you are 50. You have to put in your birthdate when you sign up so they do know how old you are.

You are not taking advantage if you use the benefits. It is like any other group. One example in our area is the farmers union. You don't have to be a farmer to join, just pay the fee. enjoy your cruise!

Old article but same idea. Google aarp associate membership. Most benefits are offered except life insurance and healthcare.

All NCL needs for discounts is a membership number which prints out in a super sweet paper card until you turn 50 and you get a awful plastic card. Which we all know plastic is bad for the environment. :)

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2005/02/22/94387/-Anyone-can-join-AARP-lets-help-them-out-you-don-t-have-to-be-50

I understand the associate membership does not have to be 50 but the primary is supposed to be. according to the poster, the primary was also not 50 yet which is why I questioned how they were able to get a membership without being 50 years old.

Out to sea, you can join before you are 50. You have to put in your birthdate when you sign up so they do know how old you are.

You are not taking advantage if you use the benefits. It is like any other group. One example in our area is the farmers union. You don't have to be a farmer to join, just pay the fee. enjoy your cruise![/quote

Also I am 44 and my husband is 45 but he is not a member. I got a membership to get a discount, hopefully, on a cruise.

When you get a chance, post what the savings were on here so we all get an idea of what can be done with a membership.

AARP discounts are not given on all sailings...just so you are aware.

Sometimes the discount is the best one available, sometimes not. It pays to shop

Sometimes the discount is the best one available, sometimes not. It pays to shop

I got my 2 bedroom on the epic for 2349 instead of 2549pp for my sailing. So $400 savings.

Just do a mock booking on NCL.com and select AARP at the screen you input ages ect to see savings.

Edited by duce95

My Dad and his wife are booked under the AARP rate, Dad is a member but his wife is not. What exactly is the verification process at the pier for AARP? DO I need to be concerned they may have to pay more at the pier if she is not a valid AARP member?

Nothing is asked at port. It is validated before final payment and adjusted if qualifications are not met.

Hi thanks for the info. Is it just for NCLor do they do it for all cruise lines? How do you like cruising on NCL. Never cruised with them. Cruise most with Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Thanks Again Tropical 8

I don't think CCL or RCI give AARP discounts.

I used to sail Carnival....have stopped booking them for now. There have been too many cuts in entertainment and I just find NCL so much better that it's not even worth looking at CCL anymore.

As for Royal, I only sailed them one time and it was a huge disappointment. I had unrealistic expectations I guess (mostly because of Royal fans here on cruise critic), however, I am giving them a second chance this coming Sept for a 12 day mediterannean cruise.

Of course I can go on and on about how much I love NCL, but the bottom line is that everyone is different not to mention every cruise experience can be different (which is why I am giving RCI another go)...so you have to cruise a line and see for yourself.

if you do decide to branch out to NCL, I wish you a great cruise with blue skies and calm seas :)

Actually, the 5% AARP discount is available on all sailings. Sometimes, they have an even better discount for AARP and that is not always available, but the 5% is.

My Dad and his wife are booked under the AARP rate, Dad is a member but his wife is not. What exactly is the verification process at the pier for AARP? DO I need to be concerned they may have to pay more at the pier if she is not a valid AARP member?

There is no verification process at the pier. When booking the cruise, I was asked (or I had to ask) if my wife was also a member (which she is) and I gave my membership number. Since it's free to add a spouse, I don't see why your Dad doesn't add his wife so that all would be correct?

Edited by Out to sea!

Hi thanks for the info. Is it just for NCLor do they do it for all cruise lines? How do you like cruising on NCL. Never cruised with them. Cruise most with Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Thanks Again Tropical 8

NCL is the only line that I know of with the 5% discount on all cruises. Other lines may have a special but it does not applies to all cruises like NCL.

NCL is the only line that I know of with the 5% discount on all cruises. Other lines may have a special but it does not applies to all cruises like NCL.

I was able to also combine it with an NCL onboard credit of $100 and a travel agent credit of $500 for my sailing. So it's a win win to pay the $16 for the year no matter how young you are!

I was able to also combine it with an NCL onboard credit of $100 and a travel agent credit of $500 for my sailing. So it's a win win to pay the $16 for the year no matter how young you are!

Yes, it is nice to get multiple discounts on a cabin. My only question is how someone under the age of 50 could sign up as the primary count with AARP is supposed to be for 50 and over (unless there has been a snafu with their online system or they have just decided as a company to accept anyone to increase head count and incoming fees)?