AARP for those under 50 and NCL

cruisecritiquer

Yes, it is nice to get multiple discounts on a cabin. My only question is how someone under the age of 50 could sign up as the primary count with AARP is supposed to be for 50 and over (unless there has been a snafu with their online system or they have just decided as a company to accept anyone to increase head count and incoming fees)?

It's about money. Associates get a membership number but cannot get car insurance or health coverage.

Here is my favorite quote from an AARP executive answering questions from a reporter on underage membership.

"How about my 7-year-old grandson?" asked this writer, as she talked recently to AARP executives.

Answered chief operating officer Tom Nelson, "I don't know how good his handwriting is. But if he sent in an application and put his birth date down accurately, we'd say to him, 'Grandson, you can be an associate member, but that's it.' "

NCL requires a membership number to process discounts. Age is not an issue. Just membership. As do many online sites that offer discounts. Here is the source from cnn money.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/05/15/8376858/

Edited by duce95

NCL requires a membership number to process discounts. Age is not an issue. Just membership. As do many online sites that offer discounts.

I think it depends on who you're working with to book your cruise. I booked my most recent with a PCC. He asked how old I was (48 when I booked, will be 49 when I sail but turning 50 later this year). He told me that was close enough, and that he could give me the AARP discount. He never asked for a membership number. When I got my confirmation, AARP, along with 3 other fare codes were listed!

Sadly, I just got my first AARP application in the mail. They don't waste any time, do they :). So technically, I will be an AARP member at the time of sailing.

Yes, it is nice to get multiple discounts on a cabin. My only question is how someone under the age of 50 could sign up as the primary count with AARP is supposed to be for 50 and over (unless there has been a snafu with their online system or they have just decided as a company to accept anyone to increase head count and incoming fees)?

It's my understanding that you can sign up at 49, because once you turn 49, you are then in your 50th year. Not sure how those younger are getting it though. Edited - they also gave us the AARP discount for our upcoming Epic cruise because my husband will be 49 before then.

Edited by SissasMomE

Actually, the 5% AARP discount is available on all sailings. Sometimes, they have an even better discount for AARP and that is not always available, but the 5% is.

Oh thank you!! I wasn't aware of that :)

AS for age when I joined, my dh is a year older than me, when he joined, I was also able to become a member as well, but at that point, I was just 5 or 6 months from my 50th birthday. (Which wasn't a good one by the way :eek: but I do love the discounts :p)

EDITED:

I just found this on NCL's website....5% discounts are given on all cruises booked at least 9 months out:

AARP members receive a 5% discount for any cruise that's booked at least 9 months prior to the sailing date. Plus, receive free stateroom upgrades and save up to $250 on select sailings. Select the AARP Member Discount check box in cruise search results or on step 1 of booking to receive available offers. So get booking and get on your way to feeling what it's like to Cruise Like a Norwegian®.

Edited by halos

Oh thank you!! I wasn't aware of that :)

AS for age when I joined, my dh is a year older than me, when he joined, I was also able to become a member as well, but at that point, I was just 5 or 6 months from my 50th birthday. (Which wasn't a good one by the way :eek: but I do love the discounts :p)

EDITED:

I just found this on NCL's website....5% discounts are given on all cruises booked at least 9 months out:

AARP members receive a 5% discount for any cruise that's booked at least 9 months prior to the sailing date. Plus, receive free stateroom upgrades and save up to $250 on select sailings. Select the AARP Member Discount check box in cruise search results or on step 1 of booking to receive available offers. So get booking and get on your way to feeling what it's like to Cruise Like a Norwegian®.

Correct. Sorry I forgot to mention the 9 months out part but since most of my cruises get booked further out than that (my Thanksgiving cruise this year was booked 665 days out!), I didn't even think about it. On my previous Epic cruise, they had a $50 AARP special which equated to about a 16% savings on the cruise and that was booked only 24 days out! :)

Edited by Out to sea!

• 6 months later...
According to some here, you don't even have to be 49.5 to have a primary account.

I can confirm this. You just need a name and purchase a membership and you get a member number. Saved me a few hundred off my suite.

So this works, right? Even if both parties are under 50? I'll have to keep that in mind. Nice trick!

However, I am a bit skeptical that this is worth doing for anything other than suites. That's because you need to book 9 months out, and fares usually drop big time on non-suites (and sometimes suites, too) as it gets closer to sail date.

So this works, right? Even if both parties are under 50? I'll have to keep that in mind. Nice trick!

However, I am a bit skeptical that this is worth doing for anything other than suites. That's because you need to book 9 months out, and fares usually drop big time on non-suites (and sometimes suites, too) as it gets closer to sail date.

You don't always have to book 9 months out. Try pricing any current trip you have (within 9 months) and see if there is a price different by checking the AARP box. I know what you are saying but sometimes the rate still shows up even if you are only a couple of months out.

And, what you ask for is the associate membership that is $16.00 per year. Not the full membership. It can save several hundred dollars and if you cruise frequently or stay at hotels, it's worth it.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

That's good to know. Did you call to reprice it with the AARP discount. What's going to be funny is if they let me combine the Kids Sail Free discount with the AARP discount when it comes up. ;) At that point if they don't allow both I'll just have to figure out which one is best.

I have a cruise booked that I got the AARP discount on for my husband and myself and used the Kids Sail Free to add my parents. So now that I think about it I got the discount for being old and am taking my parents under the kids program. How's that for a different way to do things.

Why oh why doesn't Cruise Critic lock old threads?? I have asked several times!?!?

If you mean this thread, first, you're not the OP so you can't request to have it locked. Second, it's a rather good informational thread so why ask for it to be locked??? :confused:

for the Canadians there is CARP, you get the same benefits and discounts.. I put my husband in one room with our son, myself with son's girlfriend in another room and we all received the discount. The cost was 14.95 and we saved well over 100 a room (yes we are booked nine months out). I have to agree feels strange to use but i will take the discounts.

I have a cruise booked that I got the AARP discount on for my husband and myself and used the Kids Sail Free to add my parents. So now that I think about it I got the discount for being old and am taking my parents under the kids program. How's that for a different way to do things.

That's pretty awesome and resourceful! :D

If you mean this thread, first, you're not the OP so you can't request to have it locked. Second, it's a rather good informational thread so why ask for it to be locked??? :confused:

What I mean is, other travel websites lock threads after they are 6 months old. They leave them available for information purposes, but it prevents 6 year old threads from being resurrected. (I realize this thread isn't 6 years old, but I have seen that happen recently).

What I mean is, other travel websites lock threads after they are 6 months old. They leave them available for information purposes, but it prevents 6 year old threads from being resurrected. (I realize this thread isn't 6 years old, but I have seen that happen recently).

I agree about locking threads after a certain period especially with all the changes that have taken place in the last little while on NCL.

I guess the question is though, what the cut-off date should be, 6 months, 3 years (my choice) 5 years?

Anyway, it appears it won't be happening automatically anytime soon. I suppose it could also be a function of who would do the work and it could be quite time consuming having to weed through all the oldies to lock them down.

On a side note, yes, we are members of CARP (better than crap) and my son is a member, as well. He has 2 little girls, he's far from 50, but he gets great rates on his cell phone service. Here in Canada, the rates for cell phones are quite high although they are changing a bit.

Cheers.

Edited by All-ready2cruise

That's understandable for threads that are obsolete with outdated information. But, if you can bump a thread that helps someone else (as I have done) since you cannot PM people on this site. What is the harm in leaving the thread "alive" if it is not obsolete? It could help a newbie who just found the site save some money. What is the need to exert so much energy trying to control the non-harmful behaviors of others? This thread is only 7 months old.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

We just booked the Getaway for this August 2 (13 days prior to sailing) We booked through NCL. The agent asked if my DH was a member of AARP, he said yes and she gave us $100 OBC. She did suggest bringing the card in case the agent requests it.

• 3 weeks later...
That's understandable for threads that are obsolete with outdated information. But, if you can bump a thread that helps someone else (as I have done) since you cannot PM people on this site. What is the harm in leaving the thread "alive" if it is not obsolete? It could help a newbie who just found the site save some money. What is the need to exert so much energy trying to control the non-harmful behaviors of others? This thread is only 7 months old.

Thank you for bumping your thread! Like many others, I had no idea DH and I could become members while in our 40s. After reading your thread earlier this week I joined DH, added myself to his membership, called our TA to add it to our GA cruise, and saved $80! While $80 isn't a huge amount, the $16 membership has already paid off and then some in one day and we have a couple more vacations in the planning stage where we can use it again :D.

It didn't help me on my last cruise but I did get a hotel room about $50 cheaper then the web site was showing and cheaper then say price line and others. You may be able to look around and find it just as cheap somewhere else but I don't have the patience to look at a million sites. I am only 44 and have used it a couple of times.

Edited by sprint180