Port Arthur

I'm on the Diamond Princess and will be stopping at Port Arthur which I believe is a tender stop. Can you easily get from the tender to Port Arthur complex. I rather not do the ship excursions as they are very pricey.

If you can't get to Port Arthur on your own, what is there to do around there.

Many thanks for help

We are on that cruise too, at Port Arthur we booked the " behind the scenes " tour as a shore excursion, $59 pp , 2.5 hours. That looked ok to us, especially for a Princess shore excursion ! We had friends who tendered there last year , was ok , the water was pretty calm that day and it didn't take long. The return tender run should be made after the " return for lunch" rush I am told.

[quote name='BuzzBuzzen']We are on that cruise too, at Port Arthur we booked the " behind the scenes " tour as a shore excursion, $59 pp , 2.5 hours. That looked ok to us, especially for a Princess shore excursion ! We had friends who tendered there last year , was ok , the water was pretty calm that day and it didn't take long. The return tender run should be made after the " return for lunch" rush I am told.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. What I'm wondering is can I visit Port Arthur site on my own and just pay the entrance fee. I don't need to be guided around as I've seen the place before. I just checked the Port Arthur website and the bronze ticket for $35 gives you

Your Bronze Pass features:

Access to more than 30 historic buildings, ruins, gardens and museum houses
A fascinating, 40 minute guided walking tour—a great introduction to Port Arthur, its people and its past
A 30 minute harbour cruise aboard the MV Marana

I might do that. I'm just trying to work out is once you get off the tender can you walk to the Port Arthur complex?

I would not recommend doing any guided tours there as they are a waste of money and time. If you can get there on your own it is far better to walk around at your own pace rather than go at the pace of the slowest person in the group. Doing it on your own enables you to see far more of the place in your own time, there are guides all around the historic site offering information as well as assistance. You get maps on arrival and it is easy to find your way around. I have been there on a cruise from Hobart and did the guided tour. When I realised the guided tour would be such torture I decided to leave the group and do my own thing and it was the best decision I have ever made on a tour. You are not going to see anything as part of a group that you will not see on your own. On your own you get to read all the guide highlights in your own time, get better photo opportunities and go to areas of the site that the guided tour will not take you to.

[quote name='icat2000']From what I can see on the site. You have to pick one of the passes, start on the tour and then ditch it to roam around yourself.

I don't think there is a price you can pay without the tour.[/quote]

as karateman said you can wander around yourself and it cost nothing, they have a cafe there so you can buy something to eat or drink and a good souvenior shop

they do have a ferry that does a bit of a tour but that cost you, not sure of the price now

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]
I have been to Port Arthur when we hired a car and drove down from Hobart on the day our ship was there . I have not done PA when the ship anchors in the bay, but from reports I have read , have gleaned the following.....
allowing of course that circumstances can change for each cruise.
You tender ashore , into the PA complex. All passengers have paid a fee in the Port Charge which is included in your cruise fare . Tours are avaiable if you want, but you are free to roam around as you please. Your cruise card , that you will have with you at all times , is your pass to wander around the complex.

Thats how I understand it. Please correct me if i am wrong or if it has changed.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Kiwi Kruzer'][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]
I have been to Port Arthur when we hired a car and drove down from Hobart on the day our ship was there . I have not done PA when the ship anchors in the bay, but from reports I have read , have gleaned the following.....
allowing of course that circumstances can change for each cruise.
You tender ashore , into the PA complex. All passengers have paid a fee in the Port Charge which is included in your cruise fare . Tours are avaiable if you want, but you are free to roam around as you please. Your cruise card , that you will have with you at all times , is your pass to wander around the complex.

Thats how I understand it. Please correct me if i am wrong or if it has changed.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Thanks for that David. That sounds perfect to me.

[quote name='BuzzBuzzen']I don't find guided tours a "torture" , I enjoy learning from others' knowledge especially from a local expert's point of view. To each his own, as they say, I was just giving my plans hoping to assist icat2000 's enquiry.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help BuzzBuzzen. But if David info is right then that will work out good for me. I have done the tour and boat cruise at PA a couple of years back. A wonder around the complex will suit me well.

I agree with you about local experts providing a great learning experience and to right them off is somewhat naive.

[quote name='BuzzBuzzen']I don't find guided tours a "torture" , I enjoy learning from others' knowledge especially from a local expert's point of view. To each his own, as they say, I was just giving my plans hoping to assist icat2000 's enquiry.[/QUOTE]

I did purchase the tour though and abandoned it.

My idea of torture on the tour was standing in one single spot for ten minutes listening to constant dribble about the site. In fairness to our limited time constraints at the site it is a waste of time to stand and listen to stories, put up with other peoples questions when there is a whole site out there waiting to be explored. I even had time to go up to Scorpion Rock Lookout to enjoy as well as every building in the site. The group missed out on several buildings. Much of the information they talk about is in the guide anyway which I always read when I label my photo albums as to where I have been and what I have seen.

Listening to knowledge is one things. There is a fine line for me between the length of time commentary should take. I have no objection to people wanting to do that however I found it more economical on my own schedule to do my own things.

[quote name='Kiwi Kruzer']
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I have been to Port Arthur when we hired a car and drove down from Hobart on the day our ship was there . I have not done PA when the ship anchors in the bay, but from reports I have read , have gleaned the following.....[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]allowing of course that circumstances can change for each cruise.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]You tender ashore , into the PA complex. All passengers have paid a fee in the Port Charge which is included in your cruise fare . Tours are avaiable if you want, but you are free to roam around as you please. Your cruise card , that you will have with you at all times , is your pass to wander around the complex.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Thats how I understand it. Please correct me if i am wrong or if it has changed.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[/quote]
Thanks David, that is definately a plus for the tendering directly to PA rather than having to coach from Hobart.:D

[quote name='MicCanberra']Thanks David, that is definately a plus for the tendering directly to PA rather than having to coach from Hobart.:D[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Thats true..but very few ships actually call into Port Arthur. Most cruises just give you the one day in Hobart to squeeze evrything in. I believe this cruise is a special 8 (?) day cruise just to Tassie.

Wish they would do more like this.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Kiwi Kruzer'][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Thats true..but very few ships actually call into Port Arthur. Most cruises just give you the one day in Hobart to squeeze evrything in. I believe this cruise is a special 8 (?) day cruise just to Tassie.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Wish they would do more like this.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[/quote]
Yes I am doing a crusie next year that is taking in Burnie and Hobart. I wish it was picking up a few more ports around Tassie.:D

Yeap 8 day cruise to Tassie

Ports: Sydney, Australia | Melbourne, Australia | Wineglass Bay & Oyster Bays, Tasmania (Scenic Cruising) | Hobart (Tasmania), Australia | Port Arthur (Tasmania), Australia | Sydney, Australia

[quote name='icat2000']Yeap 8 day cruise to Tassie

Ports: Sydney, Australia | Melbourne, Australia | Wineglass Bay & Oyster Bays, Tasmania (Scenic Cruising) | Hobart (Tasmania), Australia | Port Arthur (Tasmania), Australia | Sydney, Australia[/quote]
Nice cruise:D

We were on carnival spirit in march and we went around Tasmania burnie, Hobart and port Arthur we were tendered over it cost us nothing to get off the ship and look around the port Arthur site it was included in our cruise fare I loved port Arthur

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='ravie80']We were on carnival spirit in march and we went around Tasmania burnie, Hobart and port Arthur we were tendered over it cost us nothing to get off the ship and look around the port Arthur site it was included in our cruise fare I loved port Arthur

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote]
Thanks for that. Looks like I can save some pennies on this tender stop.

[quote name='Kiwi Kruzer']
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I have been to Port Arthur when we hired a car and drove down from Hobart on the day our ship was there . I have not done PA when the ship anchors in the bay, but from reports I have read , have gleaned the following.....[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]allowing of course that circumstances can change for each cruise.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]You tender ashore , into the PA complex. All passengers have paid a fee in the Port Charge which is included in your cruise fare . Tours are avaiable if you want, but you are free to roam around as you please. Your cruise card , that you will have with you at all times , is your pass to wander around the complex.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Thats how I understand it. Please correct me if i am wrong or if it has changed.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[/quote]

Excellent David! I was wondering how they were going to do it. Seeing as the entry is built into the fare it now makes sense. I couldn't see them just dropping off the passengers into the complex without us paying. It is a very long walk from the wharfs to the north and south of Port Arthur. We were there in March this year when we were on the Diamond in Hobart and organised a private tour to Port Arthur. It is a lovely place and without time restraints I will look forward to wandering around the site at my leisure this time.

Archived